Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 01:59 AM   #1
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Sony PRS T2 and micro SD Card question

I have an old Sony T2 e-reader and I can't seem to see the device (the T2) on my Mac or Windows computers (tried various things)

So I thought about getting around that by using a micro SD Card and loading up ebooks from my computer

but then I realised you have to initialize the card

does this mean that I can't do this?

what should I do?

many thanks for your help
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so .......... what I am saying is;

even though my Sony T2 doesn't show up on my computer(s) at all
...... can I still load ebooks on to the (sony formatted) micro SD Card on my computer and then read them on my T2?

something tells me that a formatted card won't be readable on a computer (??)

thanks
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
so .......... what I am saying is;

even though my Sony T2 doesn't show up on my computer(s) at all
...... can I still load ebooks on to the (sony formatted) micro SD Card on my computer and then read them on my T2?

something tells me that a formatted card won't be readable on a computer (??)

thanks
The SD card should be fat32 formatted and yes, you will be able to read it on your computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
injapan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The SD card should be fat32 formatted and yes, you will be able to read it on your computer.
thanks for that

so, to clarify, when formatting the micro SD Card on the Sony T2, the T2 will format the micro SD Card into a computer readable format (fat32)

......... and not some special Sony reader only format

if so then I will hold off buying a new e-reader

many thanks
Old 02-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks for that

so, to clarify, when formatting the micro SD Card on the Sony T2, the T2 will format the micro SD Card into a computer readable format (fat32)

......... and not some special Sony reader only format
When you get a microSD card, don't format it and use it as is. If that doesn't work, then you can format it. I don't recall if the T2 has an option to format the microSD card.
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
injapan
Addict

thank you. Appreciate that

;]

Last edited by injapan; 02-11-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
thank you. Appreciate that

;]
Your welcome. Let us know how it works out.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Have you tried doing a Device Shutdown on the T2? A reboot's always worked for me in the past.

My laptop always tells me there's an issue with my T2 when I hook it up but Calibre sees it just fine so I ignore the computer's message. Loads books from Calibre just fine.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
injapan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Have you tried doing a Device Shutdown on the T2? A reboot's always worked for me in the past.

My laptop always tells me there's an issue with my T2 when I hook it up but Calibre sees it just fine so I ignore the computer's message. Loads books from Calibre just fine.
yes, I have. I have tried factory reset as well as device shutdown etc

Last edited by injapan; 02-11-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:20 AM   #10
injapan
Addict

good news, thanks you guys

I got a micro SD Card and didn't format it
I just loaded the books on to it as JSWolf suggested and it worked

VERY HAPPY!

thank you
Old 02-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #11
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
A lot of discussions instead of plain testing... what's a 16 or 32GB card today, some 10€. Big loss, if any, for it may be used in other projects

If people having troubles using SD cards would format them with care, this won't happen. In this context 'care' means that one has to pick up the type, namely FAT32, and not what wmodern windowses recommend, namely exFAT, which won't work.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
A lot of discussions instead of plain testing... what's a 16 or 32GB card today, some 10€. Big loss, if any, for it may be used in other projects

If people having troubles using SD cards would format them with care, this won't happen. In this context 'care' means that one has to pick up the type, namely FAT32, and not what wmodern windowses recommend, namely exFAT, which won't work.
Where is this coming from? I suggested trying the card without formatting it and if that didn't work then to format it as Fat32. It worked no problem formatted as it came.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #13
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
9 messages before trying the obvious is a sign ...
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
9 messages before trying the obvious is a sign ...
5 messages total with the 5th being the solution.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #15
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Thanks for the info, JSWolf. I have a 64gb card I took out of another device to use and I had to reformat.
Slow (hours) and kept failing using a windows command prompt. Switched to FAT32Format and was able to quick format: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote