Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #61
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Different strokes...

I read on a 6" device, and don't want a larger screen size. I tried the Forma and various incarnations of the 6.8" Kobo screen ereaders. I primarily do stationary reading.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The software for the nook is so bad, I'd rather go bad to pBooks.
That's ridiculous.

My first reader was a Nook. I loved the thing. The only reason I replaced it is because I broke the screen.

I bought myself a Glowlight Plus (2014) and could easily use that as my primary reader.

Kobo's software is much more advanced and flexible than Nook's software. I do far prefer it.

B&N could really stand to make improvements. But it is not the cluster you make it out to be.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #63
cdevl
cdevl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma
I went from original 6 inch kindles to all bigger Kobo variations (with some Sony ereader in between for good measure). My current one is Kobo A1 and Forma is coming today. I like bigger screens. The bigger the better. People sometimes forget that what we call a "big" screen in ereader is actually a size of a paperback page. Nowhere near a hardcover size.
cdevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's ridiculous.

My first reader was a Nook. I loved the thing. The only reason I replaced it is because I broke the screen.

I bought myself a Glowlight Plus (2014) and could easily use that as my primary reader.

Kobo's software is much more advanced and flexible than Nook's software. I do far prefer it.

B&N could really stand to make improvements. But it is not the cluster you make it out to be.
Yes it is. The nook STR wasn't fit for purpose. eBook management is terrible. The partitioned user space is terrible. The font rendering is terrible. Overall, pBooks are easier to deal with.

In the latest nook firmware for the newest nook, how good is the eBook management?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes it is. The nook STR wasn't fit for purpose. eBook management is terrible. The partitioned user space is terrible. The font rendering is terrible. Overall, pBooks are easier to deal with.
First, all you ever do is go on and on about a device from 8 years ago. A device that many here (including me) liked quite a bit. In the end, you are just wrong.

Quote:
In the latest nook firmware for the newest nook, how good is the eBook management?
The ebook management is fine for me. As I mentioned, I prefer the Kobo firmware myself (as long as I patch it and use the fan made hacks). But if Kobo were to suddenly close and all Kobo devices spontaneously combusted or stopped working for whatever reason, I would be perfectly happy with my Nook.
Advert
Old 03-11-2020, 11:50 AM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevl View Post
I went from original 6 inch kindles to all bigger Kobo variations (with some Sony ereader in between for good measure). My current one is Kobo A1 and Forma is coming today. I like bigger screens. The bigger the better. People sometimes forget that what we call a "big" screen in ereader is actually a size of a paperback page. Nowhere near a hardcover size.
The hardcover I have handy (Raid On The Sun by Rodger W. Claire) is 12", corner to corner. But the text measures 8", so the Forma is pretty close to hardcover (or at least some hardcover) size.

6"readers are fairly close to mass market paperbacks.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
First, all you ever do is go on and on about a device from 8 years ago. A device that many here (including me) liked quite a bit. In the end, you are just wrong.
I'm not wrong. I own a nook STR and what I've mentioned as terrible is terrible. I've owned Sony Readers and when I say the font rendering is good, I mean it. I am talking from experience. The bezel of the nook STR is a rubbery overly large mess (for even more wrong with the nook STR).[/quote]

Quote:
The ebook management is fine for me. As I mentioned, I prefer the Kobo firmware myself (as long as I patch it and use the fan made hacks). But if Kobo were to suddenly close and all Kobo devices spontaneously combusted or stopped working for whatever reason, I would be perfectly happy with my Nook.
That says nothing about how the eBook organization/management works on the newest nook firmware. How does it work?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The hardcover I have handy (Raid On The Sun by Rodger W. Claire) is 12", corner to corner. But the text measures 8", so the Forma is pretty close to hardcover (or at least some hardcover) size.

6"readers are fairly close to mass market paperbacks.
7" is even closer.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I'm not wrong.
Your ongoing problem is you take your opinions as facts.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Your ongoing problem is you take your opinions as facts.
In this case, it's not opniion but fact. The nook STR firmware is a POS at best.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:58 AM   #71
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
In this case, it's not opniion but fact. The nook STR firmware is a POS at best.
I don't know why you still fight, Jon, because actually you are both on par, it's just the absolutism you tend to put in your statements that's cause for taking exeption right now.

ZodWallop already said he likes the Kobo software better. All he said was even though the Nook software is not as sophisticated, if there were no other options the Nook would be fine enough for him to read with and be content with it. And this is I guess what it comes down to for all of us. If there was only one ereader available we'd all be more than happy to use it, because for most of us eink is just the prefered medium. At least I haven't read dead tree in over a decade and would prefer a mediocre reader over DTB any time. And I guess the same is true for you.

We all have our preferences and opinions what a software should or shouldn't do. Same is true for hardware. You said the Nooks wide bezel bothered you, others found it easier to hold on to when reading.

I love Kobo really very, very much (just in case some of you hadn't noticed yet) but I do have a Tolino 6" now for the out and about. The software is rather crude, nonetheless it does the job and I guess it is far easier to manoeuver for people new to eareading than a Kobo would be. Lesser possibility can make things easier. Very sophisticated software can be overwhelming and/or distracting.

So like ZodWallop sometimes I'd wish for you (and you know I have an extremely soft spot for you ) not state your preferences as eternal truths.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:04 AM   #72
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell V8Pro; Asus Zenpad S8; Onyx Boox T68; Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxQ View Post
Hi guys, I’m about to replace my 5” reader and mulling whether to buy a 6” or 8”.

I have a 9.7” Ipad, which for my tastes feels too bulky for ebooks and articles.

To those of you that have moved from 6-to-8 inches, what were the greatest impressions, likes and dislikes?

Cheers and thanks!
I went from 5" to 6", then to 6.8" and now 7.2". The 5" was perfect back then. Easily put in my pocket, sturdy... I bought the 6" because my mother also wanted the same one (good excuse: easier to give support if you have the same device! ) The difference were minor, in my eyes. The step up to the H2O (6.8") was larger (weirdly enough). But I liked it a lot better. I had a bit more line length without having to sacrifice letter size. Then I moved to the One (because of the natural light) and I must say, while the device itself is a bit more unwieldy (as in: not as easily put in a coat pocket), I really like it. Might also have something to do with the fact that I am on the edge of needing reading glasses... I can make the letters larger again without making the line length extremely short...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:49 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I went from 5" to 6", then to 6.8" and now 7.2". The 5" was perfect back then. Easily put in my pocket, sturdy... I bought the 6" because my mother also wanted the same one (good excuse: easier to give support if you have the same device! ) The difference were minor, in my eyes. The step up to the H2O (6.8") was larger (weirdly enough). But I liked it a lot better. I had a bit more line length without having to sacrifice letter size. Then I moved to the One (because of the natural light) and I must say, while the device itself is a bit more unwieldy (as in: not as easily put in a coat pocket), I really like it. Might also have something to do with the fact that I am on the edge of needing reading glasses... I can make the letters larger again without making the line length extremely short...
I went from 6" to 6.8" and I much prefer the 6.8" screen. If I was buying another Kobo, I'd go for either 7" or 8" and not 6". I find 6" now to be small. 5" is right out. 6.8" is closer to the size of a MMPB then 6".

My recommendation for anyone who prefers or needs a larger text size, 7" or larger is a good idea. With a 6.8" screen, I can up the font size to a larger size (then on a 6" screen) before it's not as readable due to the text being too larger for the screen leaving too many broken words/gaps.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #74
dawsonthrilled
dawsonthrilled began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxQ View Post
Hi guys, I’m about to replace my 5” reader and mulling whether to buy a 6” or 8”.

I have a 9.7” Ipad, which for my tastes feels too bulky for ebooks and articles.

To those of you that have moved from 6-to-8 inches, what were the greatest impressions, likes and dislikes?

Cheers and thanks!
I prefer the 6". Larger screen stresses my eyes.
dawsonthrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #75
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonthrilled View Post
I prefer the 6". Larger screen stresses my eyes.
For me, larger screen only stresses the pockets if I want to carry the device around. When carrying a 8" device in a backpack, it is less likely to be taken out for a read on the go.

I have ended up carrying at least two e-readers around: a 5" screen for convenient on-the-go reading and a larger one that can do pdf files.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote