Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2020, 11:55 PM   #1
PMrev
Zealot
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 124
Karma: 1012
Join Date: Feb 2020
Device: kindle
Update on Development! Reason for Slow Development

Hello CC Community,

I've been reading the forums over the last couple weeks and I've heard your frustrations and fears as the app has sat in an unstable state for the last couple months.

Let me try to shed some light on the situation and try to give you some hope on the matter. When the "Changing of the Guard" happened, they named Sam as a developer that was taking over from the previous owners. Even though Sam has experience with technology and software, CC presented unique challenges and was not his wheelhouse.

He cares about the community which is why I am here. We have made great leaps in the past week alone and I can tell you we are close. I am not promising all problems will disappear but you have a team here that will listen and actively solve these issues.

Jumping in at this point (right before a release) is like trying to untangle a big a** ball of string. Future releases will be smaller and more frequent.

Please be both optimistic and patient moving forward.

Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:59 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,516
Karma: 47600398
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to the release.
pwalker8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
PMrev
Zealot
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 124
Karma: 1012
Join Date: Feb 2020
Device: kindle
Slight Delay

Hey CC Community,

I have been receiving some feedback emails and monitoring the responses. I hear you loud and clear to get the iOS version stable.

With that in mind, we are near completion of the new version and were aiming to get it out this week. Our development team has run into a roadblock that deals with the app crashing for a certain sorting function.

We are taking every step to make sure crash bugs do not make it into the new version so we are slightly behind schedule with the release.

Thank you for being patient with us, I can't wait to get this more stable version out soon!

Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,516
Karma: 47600398
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
Hey CC Community,

I have been receiving some feedback emails and monitoring the responses. I hear you loud and clear to get the iOS version stable.

With that in mind, we are near completion of the new version and were aiming to get it out this week. Our development team has run into a roadblock that deals with the app crashing for a certain sorting function.

We are taking every step to make sure crash bugs do not make it into the new version so we are slightly behind schedule with the release.

Thank you for being patient with us, I can't wait to get this more stable version out soon!

Alex
Thanks for letting us know. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm good with waiting an extra week or two.
pwalker8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus began at the beginning.
 
Incanus's Avatar
 
Posts: 224
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chile
Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Talking Patiently and hopefully waiting for the new iOS realease

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Thanks for letting us know. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm good with waiting an extra week or two.
If that what it takes to have a stable update/release, then I agree: by all means, do take (and fully use) your time.

PMrev has probably already realized this, but this iOS release is a most unique opportunity to make a good first impression.... or to f**k it up (big time) with the CM user community.

Mind you, I use the Android paid version... but I'd like to think that one release leads to the other, so I'm reasonably concerned and, I daresay, expectant for what happens next with the iOS version.

Patiently, hopefully,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 11:22 PM   #6
PMrev
Zealot
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 124
Karma: 1012
Join Date: Feb 2020
Device: kindle
We fixed the bug!

We are so close. Running through our final UAT tests now!

Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,516
Karma: 47600398
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
We fixed the bug!

We are so close. Running through our final UAT tests now!

Alex
Glad to hear. Just as an aside, I do hope you have tested with largish collections. I've got close to 4000 eBooks and I know there others who have a lot more. The initial release of iBook started to choke with more than a few hundred.
pwalker8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus began at the beginning.
 
Incanus's Avatar
 
Posts: 224
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chile
Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Glad to hear. Just as an aside, I do hope you have tested with largish collections. I've got close to 4000 eBooks and I know there others who have a lot more. The initial release of iBook started to choke with more than a few hundred.
That would be me, with a library of +14.000 ebooks... but I use the Android version, mind you, and (so far) it works fine search/catalog wise, and the wireless connection (CC on device<-->Calibre on PC) works reasonably fast for updates and sync...

...but I digress.

To PMrev: any news on the new CC version?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
Ramp
Member
Ramp began at the beginning.
 
Ramp's Avatar
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 28
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Detroit
Device: iPad Pro (3rd Generation)
I just saw that Calibre Companion had received an update in the iOS App Store today. While I haven't yet had time to test it out, I did open the app, and I saw that you have to subscribe to use it and can only skip 3x. I wanted to let you know (again) that what you are attempting to do to customers who bought the app before is a violation of Apple's App Store Guidelines.

Please see and read this: https://developer.apple.com/app-stor...ew/guidelines/

In particular, even though the App Store Guidelines were updated on March 4, 2020, Apple's stance has NOT changed. You simply can not take away functionality that existing users had already paid for, even if you decide to change the pricing scheme to a subscription.

This is the App Store Guidelines from before March 4, 2020: https://i.imgur.com/0nJFbvM.jpg

This is the App Store Guidelines as of March 4, 2020: https://i.imgur.com/AD3fNpa.png

I will use one of my three attempts in a couple of hours when I am home to see if the app is finally working correctly, though. I will update if I find any issues or bugs once I do. Thanks
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
PMrev
Zealot
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese
 
Posts: 124
Karma: 1012
Join Date: Feb 2020
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
I just saw that Calibre Companion had received an update in the iOS App Store today. While I haven't yet had time to test it out, I did open the app, and I saw that you have to subscribe to use it and can only skip 3x. I wanted to let you know (again) that what you are attempting to do to customers who bought the app before is a violation of Apple's App Store Guidelines.

Please see and read this: https://developer.apple.com/app-stor...ew/guidelines/

In particular, even though the App Store Guidelines were updated on March 4, 2020, Apple's stance has NOT changed. You simply can not take away functionality that existing users had already paid for, even if you decide to change the pricing scheme to a subscription.

This is the App Store Guidelines from before March 4, 2020: https://i.imgur.com/0nJFbvM.jpg

This is the App Store Guidelines as of March 4, 2020: https://i.imgur.com/AD3fNpa.png

I will use one of my three attempts in a couple of hours when I am home to see if the app is finally working correctly, though. I will update if I find any issues or bugs once I do. Thanks
Hey Ramp,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

The "Skip" will work without end on this update version, do not worry about being locked out of the app.

Thanks,
A
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #11
Ramp
Member
Ramp began at the beginning.
 
Ramp's Avatar
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 28
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Detroit
Device: iPad Pro (3rd Generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
I just saw that Calibre Companion had received an update in the iOS App Store today. While I haven't yet had time to test it out, I did open the app, and I saw that you have to subscribe to use it and can only skip 3x. I wanted to let you know (again) that what you are attempting to do to customers who bought the app before is a violation of Apple's App Store Guidelines.

Please see and read this: https://developer.apple.com/app-stor...ew/guidelines/

In particular, even though the App Store Guidelines were updated on March 4, 2020, Apple's stance has NOT changed. You simply can not take away functionality that existing users had already paid for, even if you decide to change the pricing scheme to a subscription.

This is the App Store Guidelines from before March 4, 2020: https://i.imgur.com/0nJFbvM.jpg

This is the App Store Guidelines as of March 4, 2020: https://i.imgur.com/AD3fNpa.png

I will use one of my three attempts in a couple of hours when I am home to see if the app is finally working correctly, though. I will update if I find any issues or bugs once I do. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
Hey Ramp,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

The "Skip" will work without end on this update version, do not worry about being locked out of the app.

Thanks,
A
Thank you so much for the quick response and addressing my concern. I really appreciate it.
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #12
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus began at the beginning.
 
Incanus's Avatar
 
Posts: 224
Karma: 10
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chile
Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Android Update

PMRev:

Will there be an update for th Android?

If so, when?

Will it be freely available for those of us who already paid for the Android version?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #13
jukin
Connoisseur
jukin began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 72
Karma: 12
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Philadelphia, PA
Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire HD 10
Can you summarize what the subscription version actually gives us that the original version does not? I did buy the original version but don't want to subscribe to the new version until I know what the deal is. Thanks.
jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #14
chicleeblair
Member
chicleeblair began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 22
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2018
Device: iPad mini
I like what I've seen so far
I fixed the issues I'd put here earlier. Really my main problem is what I've had in both CC and other apps: my library is too big for it to run at all quickly.

Last edited by chicleeblair; 03-24-2020 at 09:52 PM.
chicleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:53 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,820
Karma: 5333506
Join Date: May 2016
Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicleeblair View Post
I like what I've seen so far
I fixed the issues I'd put here earlier. Really my main problem is what I've had in both CC and other apps: my library is too big for it to run at all quickly.
the fix for that is simple. store less books on the device, fetch what you want then you want it, and delete when done
unless you are moving to in internet desert, put a copy of your whole library in cloud storage and configure CC to access that as needed.

i know that at least one other user has said it works with 4000+ books and have not commented on the speed, so maybe it also depends what device you are using.
if your device library is on a slow SD card, could that be a factor ?
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Development in VirtualBox Tom.P PocketBook Developer's Corner 0 10-05-2013 05:11 PM
help on new application development towerale Onyx Boox 0 03-26-2011 03:01 AM
Android Development mba enTourage Archive 0 04-15-2010 07:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:42 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.