Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 06:28 AM   #28816
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
On the subject of comfort reading and such, Neil Gaiman has put some extra activities for both adults and children on his website for people self-isolating. https://neilgaiman.com/

He's also given blanket permission for anyone to read his stories in audio to share for keeping people entertained.

Neil Gaiman is a real hero among writers.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #28817
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post

Having said that, I am LOVING my re-read of War and Peace for the #TolstoyTogether project that Yinyun Li is running.
This group read is getting a fair amount of media attention. I was so glad you mentioned it, as I’ve been meaning to reread War and Peace for years and this was the goad I needed. The daily stints are so very short there are no excuses for not keeping up. Someone could start now and easily catch up, too.

Last edited by issybird; 03-27-2020 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Not a fruit.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #28818
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
My review of Mozzarella and Murder (Papa Pacelli's Pizzeria, #13) by Patti Benning:-

Spoiler:
This cozy mystery was a mixed bag when you consider the crime, the motive, and the murder. The book felt lop-sided and the reveal felt too unreal.

The author did manage to tug at my heartstrings but that was before the autopsy. The mistreatment of domestic animals is something that should have been enough for me.

But the best way to describe this is that it's a mixed bag. The writing does come off as sincere, immersive, and not self conscious, but the plot was too bare to result in an outstanding review. 3 stars.

Last edited by Luffy; 04-03-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #28819
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Dancing with Myself by Charles Sheffield - a collection of his short works.
Which was good. The stories stand up well. The science articles are a little dated, but accurate as far as they go.

Then I read Death at Gallows Green by Robin Paige. A quick read, a murder mystery with a touch of romance.

Next up: Heartstone by C J Sansom. The fifth in his Shardlake series of historical mysteries, set in England in the time of Henry VIII.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #28820
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Heartstone by C J Sansom. The fifth in his Shardlake series of historical mysteries, set in England in the time of Henry VIII.
And it turns out that I read that last year, but must have missed recording it.

So on to Lamentation, the next in the series.
Advert
Old 03-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #28821
Uncle Robin
Evangelist
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Just starting The Body in the Castle Well, so I'll be all caught up on the Bruno series before the next one is released. Thinking I'll probably buy it on Kobo to boost my VIP points while taking advantage of the 99.9% certainty of the Price Guarantee working in my favour too.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:21 PM   #28822
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My review of Caramel Sundae & Murder by Susan Gillard:-
Spoiler:

For the most part the case felt alive, like a purring beast. Or a purring engine. But I had too many issues with the book itself.

There were too many annoying and once downright funny typos('as long as he is sleeping with my wife, I don't care.').

The supposedly turning point in the case was moot. A trap could have been laid for the murderer without that tenuous clue that was quite unbelievable.

I came to this book after a hiatus from the Oceanside series, but am tempted to take another one.

Last edited by Luffy; 04-03-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #28823
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
My review of Caramel Sundae & Murder:-
[...]
Luffy, would you mind adding the author to your posts in future? Save me having to go searching to find out if it's someone I know.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #28824
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
So on to Lamentation, the next in the series.
Which was excellent. A brilliant evocation of Tudor London. And a good mystery, too.

Next up: By the Pricking of my Thumbs by Agatha Christie. I bought this over ten years ago! And goodness, I didn't read a single Agatha Christie book in 2019!

Time to enjoy a few more, I think.

[Edit: Hey, this is a Tommy & Tuppence adventure!]

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-03-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:47 AM   #28825
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Reading Maerlin's Storm by Nav Logan. One of the better lesser known Fantasy authors in Indieland IMO. I've read a couple of his stories in anthologies which stood among the best and this book is going well.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #28826
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Luffy, would you mind adding the author to your posts in future? Save me having to go searching to find out if it's someone I know.
Sure thing. Most of my cozies are by ill known authors, so I understand.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #28827
Luffy
Wizard

My review of Florist Grump (A Flower Shop Mystery, #17) by Kate Collins:-

Spoiler:
The story took its time to truly start. Florist Gump's first half made me think it's easy to write a fan fiction of this series. The other half made me change my mind on that subject.

As soon as the author began to write meaningfully, the pace picked up. Although I did predict the murderer's identity within minutes of reading about him, it's still a work of a talented writer. Some of her ending chapters are positively Dickensian in their construct.

I can't anoint this book with 5 stars. Not after the sluggish start which made me think of ditching the book. That was an ordeal a blazing second half would have made me forget in my younger days. But not this version of me.

Last edited by Luffy; 04-03-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #28828
franknight
franknight began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Just started Lara by Bertrice Small. Book 1 of a Fantasy series that looks very interesting.
franknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #28829
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Which was excellent. A brilliant evocation of Tudor London. And a good mystery, too.

Next up: By the Pricking of my Thumbs by Agatha Christie. I bought this over ten years ago! And goodness, I didn't read a single Agatha Christie book in 2019!

Time to enjoy a few more, I think.

[Edit: Hey, this is a Tommy & Tuppence adventure!]
I just finished that one on Tuesday. It was ok, but that style of book is not my favourite from her.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #28830
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Finished The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months that changed the World and Anne Frank, the Untold Story.

I enjoyed reading about Truman, because I didn't know much about him. That book was really interesting gives good insight into the happenings during that time right after FDR died.

The Anne Frank book also filled in many gaps in my knowledge of her, and their time in hiding, and how they were found out.

I have not read much this week, been sewing face masks for donation thru a local B&B who is organizing for donation to local hospitals etc. My before bedtime reading has been very light fiction with no drama. Since Tuesday I've made 70 masks, and I know others who are sewing are churning them out.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote