Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-11-2020, 03:48 AM   #1
Neoculture
Neoculture began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Looking for a replacement for my Samsung tablet.

I am currently using a Samsung Tab S4 which I have re-purposed to use as an e-reader. I have a several apps running on it: ComiCat, ComiXology, ReadEra, Book Walker, and Kobo Books. (256GB on-board + 256GB sd card - holds most of the downloaded books/manga/comics)

I admit I also installed the app which controls my hardware firewall as well as Samsung's SmartThings app, but these are niceties which allow me to access the firewall and/or IoT hub without having to break out my phone.

I am looking for an e-ink replacement for the tablet. Ideally, it would be 10" (or bigger), WiFi, be able to take an sd card, be able to install and run my reader apps and (not a deal-breaker) backlighting. I am not fussed on baked-in reader app and UI as I would much rather have a launch pad on which to install and launch my preferred apps.

Ideally, I'd love another Tab S4 but with an e-ink screen (you can but hope).

Any advice?

Last edited by Neoculture; 03-11-2020 at 03:50 AM.
Neoculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:55 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
1. you cant combine e-ink with backlighting
2. i doubt there is anything that meets the rest of the list

do you really want to downgrade all your comics from colour to black & white ?

get another tablet. samsung with AMOLED and built in blue screen filter & reader mode seems the obvious choice

what if anything is actually wrong with the S4 you already have ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:10 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Fanatic
ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoculture View Post
Any advice?
Liikebook or Onyx eInk Android Tablets.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
do you really want to downgrade all your comics from colour to black & white
Yep, this.

The old comics with limited colors is workable on e-ink. The newer ones with more colors and complicated shading just don't translate well to e-ink.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote