Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #46
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Which devices come with Source Code Pro?
As far as I know that font only works for Kindle Previewer 3. Not for any of the Kindle apps or devices.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #47
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
As far as I know that font only works for Kindle Previewer 3. Not for any of the Kindle apps or devices.
Right. None.

Courier is a monospace font, which is why both I and Notjohn mentioned it. And unless I've lost my mind, it's on every device, OR, at least, it gets you a mono font.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #48
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
And unless I've lost my mind, it's on every device, OR, at least, it gets you a mono font.

Hitch
I wish (not you losing your mind) but the stupid Kobo doesn't even honor font-family: monospace.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #49
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I wish (not you losing your mind) but the stupid Kobo doesn't even honor font-family: monospace.
Yes, I found this out relatively recently. Here's the in-depth topics discussing it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324494

+ a 2017 explanation on the issue:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...58#post3514958

and I believe this is the 2015 manual "monospace patch" mentioned in that thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...12#post3148112

I contacted Kobo's QA department at the beginning of this year and let them know. Maybe I should nudge and see if there's any updated status.

(Also reported a handful of other bugs to them... justification/spacing issues with em dashes + rotation issues on my Kobo Forma.)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-12-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Tex2002ans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:46 PM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah. So, the Courier/Mono coding doesn't work?

I would say "I meant, a REAL device," but there are dieheard Kobolovers here, so I'll refrain. ;-)

Hitch
Advert
Old 02-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
The latest 4.19.firmware goes one step to having monospace work. The CSS is not correct for monospace. You just have to install Courier Prime. You don't actually need Courier Prime. You just need a monospace font named Courier Prime in the font and the filenames.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah. So, the Courier/Mono coding doesn't work?

I would say "I meant, a REAL device," but there are dieheard Kobolovers here, so I'll refrain. ;-)

Hitch
That leaves out Kindles as Amazon has made a real mush of them with all the different firmware versions that are all very different. Amazon should have done what Sony did. Sony released ePub for all the Sony Readers and dumped LRF/LRX in favor of ePub. Amazon should dump Mobi and bring out new firmware that supports KF8 in place of Mobi. Then Amazon can dump Mobi.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #53
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That leaves out Kindles as Amazon has made a real mush of them with all the different firmware versions that are all very different. Amazon should have done what Sony did. Sony released ePub for all the Sony Readers and dumped LRF/LRX in favor of ePub. Amazon should dump Mobi and bring out new firmware that supports KF8 in place of Mobi. Then Amazon can dump Mobi.
Wolfie, WTF are you blathering about? Courier/Mono has worked since the dawn. STILL works on my K2. Dude, I know you have a bug up your ass about Mobi/KF8, yadda, but this is a non sequitur, even for you.

Hitch
Old 02-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Wolfie, WTF are you blathering about? Courier/Mono has worked since the dawn. STILL works on my K2. Dude, I know you have a bug up your ass about Mobi/KF8, yadda, but this is a non sequitur, even for you.

Hitch
Amazon with all the different versions of the firmware is like Apple with all the different versions of iBooks that can never be updated.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #55
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Wolfie dear, mono/courier works on the K2's, etc.

Hitch
Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #56
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon should dump Mobi and bring out new firmware that supports KF8 in place of Mobi. Then Amazon can dump Mobi.
Dropping MOBI would mean reworking lots of existing Kindle infrastructure for Amazon. It would primarily benefit publishers at the expense of existing customers and Amazon itself.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #57
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Dropping MOBI would mean reworking lots of existing Kindle infrastructure for Amazon. It would primarily benefit publishers at the expense of existing customers and Amazon itself.
And KCR, let's not forget.

Hitch
Old 02-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #58
jhowell
Wizard

Quote:
And KCR, let's not forget.
Plus books that were only published in MOBI format. Amazon would take a lot of heat if they announced that those books were no longer available.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #59
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Plus books that were only published in MOBI format. Amazon would take a lot of heat if they announced that those books were no longer available.
Oh, god yes.

I have NO doubt that I personally--never mind my business--have some untold number of PRC files out there, at least 100, then followed by rudimentary .mobi, through...hell, 2011 sometime? I think it was late 2010 when I personally started making both ePUB and MOBI files for customers, but we didn't completely abandon prc...gosh. I don't recall, but I know I have a BUNCH of those and a crapload of KF7 "MOBIs."

Hitch
Old 02-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #60
joe 1
joe 1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
SO, I found out what was screwing with my fonts.
For some reason, the presence of a completely unrelated element that had a "font-family:times new roman" style was preventing my other font directives from applying correctly. I removed all instances of "font-family:times new roman" from my css and the monospace text magically appeared!
joe 1 is offline   Reply With Quote