Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #61
calibre_sync
Enthusiast
calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCalibre View Post
Hello. I've just this moment purchase and installed Calibre Sync for my IPad. I've had Calibre Companion for quite some time, but am not interested in subscribing to a monthly payment (something added after I had purchased it).

I began to use it to access my VERY large Calibre library from my computer in another room via wifi, but stopped because I don't know what happens next (I couldn't find documentation) and don't wish to flood my iPad memory, hence my questions:

1. Is there a manual I could read to learn more specifically what this app does?

2. Is it possible to ONLY download metadata to my iPad (at least initially) - ie Not the actual book itself?

3. If so, can I decide which metadata to download (eg, covers / no covers, descriptions, authors / no descriptions, authors, etc)?

4. Can filter not only which metadata per book to download, but also the metadata from a filtered set of books?

5. I see that I can use this app to copy my library to my OneDrive service and keep both copies synced. I am looking forward to exploring that option later to be able to travel (away from my home Calibre library) and yet be able to access at least a subset of my library.

If I start that process from your app (selecting OneDrive as my destination for the copy) can I use your app to filter and select WHICH books to move there (again, I only have enough space on OneDrive for only a part of my library)?

Once that is done (if that is possible) will the app remember which books are there so I can add more later without uploading duplicates? ...allow me to safely remove other books previously uploaded while still keeping them on my home library?

Again, thank you for providing an alternative to Calibre Companion. Once I feel a little safer (yes, my library is backed up, but still...) I look forward to exploring the app

Cheers

Bill
Hi Bill, hopefully the below would clarify your concerns

1. Is there a manual I could read to learn more specifically what this app does?

Please have a look at our website https://calibresync.bitbucket.io/integrations/, if you are still unclear, please contact us on calibre.sync.help@gmail.com so that we can help you further.

2. Is it possible to ONLY download metadata to my iPad (at least initially) - ie Not the actual book itself?

By default, Calibre Sync only download metadata (metadata.db file) to your iPad, book files are availble to be downloaded on demand.

3. If so, can I decide which metadata to download (eg, covers / no covers, descriptions, authors / no descriptions, authors, etc)?

It only download metadata.db so it would be a small file (MBs), you can opt out covers download in the process.

4. Can filter not only which metadata per book to download, but also the metadata from a filtered set of books?

All the book metadata are contained in metadata.db, so you don't need to worry about it uses up your device memory storage.

5. I see that I can use this app to copy my library to my OneDrive service and keep both copies synced. I am looking forward to exploring that option later to be able to travel (away from my home Calibre library) and yet be able to access at least a subset of my library.

If I start that process from your app (selecting OneDrive as my destination for the copy) can I use your app to filter and select WHICH books to move there (again, I only have enough space on OneDrive for only a part of my library)?

Once that is done (if that is possible) will the app remember which books are there so I can add more later without uploading duplicates? ...allow me to safely remove other books previously uploaded while still keeping them on my home library?

As already mentioned in 2, books can be downloaded on demand, so before you travel, you can simply download some books that you'd like to read. Once books are downloaded on your device (in Files app, Calibre Sync directory), they are saved so you don't need to worry about duplicate.

About not enough space on OneDrive, we would suggest that you can split your library into smaller libraries, there are other cloud services that we also support (Dropbox, Google Drive, ...), you can then store your split libraries in other services, we support unlimited libraries for multiple accounts across services, so that might solve your limited space issue.
calibre_sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:59 PM   #62
calibre_sync
Enthusiast
calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.calibre_sync knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to have tags/collections available as a primary view? I know I can drill down through tags in the filter menu, but with a large library it would simplify matters to start with tags/collections when the app is launched (as an option of course).

Hi, thank for the suggestion, we are actually working on the feature that allows users to customise detailed list view, hope that we will able to release that feature in the near future.
Advert
Old 05-02-2022, 09:48 AM   #63
Springbok
Enthusiast
Springbok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've been playing around with this application for a couple of days and I must say - I am impressed. The tool is very powerful when it comes various connectivity options. Now via vebdav inetrface I can access copy of my calibre libraries on NAS without any hussle. I have been waiting for such possibility for a long time.

The only thing I am currently missing is the "Reading List" functionality. As the library gets bigger and bigger I find this plug-in pretty useful. The old Calibre Box tool had this option and I kind of got used to it.
I have no idea how much work requires ti implement such option but may be this is something to be considered for a future.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:22 AM   #64
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
This is a pretty nice way to access my library and its tags on a portable device.

When using the iOS app, is there a way to set a default reader app so that the PDF will immediately open in my preferred reader app when I tap "read" in Calibre Sync?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:19 PM   #65
SoccerDad91016
Enthusiast
SoccerDad91016 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8, Microsoft Surface Go 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibre_sync View Post
Hi,

Luckily, we also release the app on Amazon Appstore at https://www.amazon.com/Truc-Nguyen-C...le-apps&sr=1-1, please check it out
Sadly, not showing as available in the Amazon app store for Windows Android Subsystem..."We didn't find results that match your search 'calibre sync'"
SoccerDad91016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #66
calibre_sync
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDad91016 View Post
Sadly, not showing as available in the Amazon app store for Windows Android Subsystem..."We didn't find results that match your search 'calibre sync'"
Unfortunately, we don't know much about how Amazon appstore distribution works inside Windows Android Subsystem so we might not be able to help on this. Would you able to try another solution like Blue Stacks (https://www.bluestacks.com/)?
Old 05-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #67
calibre_sync
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
This is a pretty nice way to access my library and its tags on a portable device.

When using the iOS app, is there a way to set a default reader app so that the PDF will immediately open in my preferred reader app when I tap "read" in Calibre Sync?
Unfortunately, Apple does not provide a straightforward way to set default app for opening a file type in iOS, we will surely provide that option when we can figure it out
Old 05-22-2022, 01:27 AM   #68
autolo
autolo began at the beginning.

Device: Android S5
I do have a question. I have a lot of fan-fiction in my library, will the cloud sync recognize if an epub has been updated and download the latest version of it?
autolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:29 AM   #69
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I doo have another question:
Calibre Sync.
Device A have local library(synced via external means) on sd card and Dropbox
Device B only have Dropbox.
I open book on B via CalibreSync - file gets opened with name <original_book_name>+<some_random_uuid_looking_str ing>.epub. Moon+ reader saves position and notes for this file to it's configure sync storage.
I open book on A from Dropbox via CalibreSync - everything is synced.
I open book on A from local library via CalibreSync - file gets opened with name <original_book_name>.epub. Moon+ reader thinks it's new book and no sync.

All libraries show 'Library format V2'

How to solve this issue so file name for specific book will be same no matter source?

Last edited by vikarti; 05-27-2022 at 01:40 AM. Reason: note about library format v2
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #70
calibre_sync
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolo View Post
I do have a question. I have a lot of fan-fiction in my library, will the cloud sync recognize if an epub has been updated and download the latest version of it?
Hi, if the epub gets updated via Calibre desktop and synced to the cloud, then the app will be able to recognise the latest version
Old 06-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #71
calibre_sync
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post
I doo have another question:
Calibre Sync.
Device A have local library(synced via external means) on sd card and Dropbox
Device B only have Dropbox.
I open book on B via CalibreSync - file gets opened with name <original_book_name>+<some_random_uuid_looking_str ing>.epub. Moon+ reader saves position and notes for this file to it's configure sync storage.
I open book on A from Dropbox via CalibreSync - everything is synced.
I open book on A from local library via CalibreSync - file gets opened with name <original_book_name>.epub. Moon+ reader thinks it's new book and no sync.

All libraries show 'Library format V2'

How to solve this issue so file name for specific book will be same no matter source?
For this issue, we would advise you to use cloud service for both devices with the same Library format version so that it is synced correctly (as you pointed out in the first scenario)

Unfortunately, it would not be possible for the second scenario as local libraries directory structure is different from cloud library. For local libraries, a book is stored in this nested directories, i.e: <author_name>/<book_title>/<book_name>.epub
while in cloud libraries, all downloaded books are stored in your Download directory of your choice (flat structure).
For that reason, those files are definitely not the same on both devices.

Hope that clarifies your concern
Old 07-08-2022, 04:25 AM   #72
rjh4242
Enthusiast
rjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Marvin 3 on iPad/iPhone
I downloaded and started using Calibre Sync two days ago. Found a bug in downloading epubs from Box. Emailed the developer and they fixed it immediately and updated the app right away. It's now all working perfectly. I am very pleased with both the app and the responsiveness of the developers. They're clearly working on more functionality, although it's very good as it is. Definitely worth the money. Thanks very much for your hard work!
rjh4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #73
sup
Connoisseur
sup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2012)
Would it be possible to use Calibre recipes through this app? My use case would be to download news with the recipes and then send them to my e-reader, all from my phone.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:52 AM   #74
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Would it be possible to use Calibre recipes through this app? My use case would be to download news with the recipes and then send them to my e-reader, all from my phone.
I seriously doubt it. Recipes need to run within calibre itself. Once the output has been added to the calibre library then of course, calibre sync would be able to retrieve the output.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #75
anna1879
anna1879 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
Hi, would you consider supportting iCloud drive in the future?
anna1879 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, mobile, sync