Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-24-2022, 08:42 AM   #1
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
Best old version of CC for Pixel 7 Android 13?

So there are some amazing trade-in deals on the Pixel 7, so I've finally upgraded my Pixel XL Android 10 to a Pixel 7 running Android 13.
I was wondering if there is a consensus on what older version of CC is best with newer Android?

I remember having issues with the Play Store copy, so used a saved copy 5.4.4.1 (392) from my Pixel XL.
It does seem to work fine except for it not using about 1/5th of the screen leaving an empty area blank area at the bottom.

Does any other version of CC work better with Android 13?
I know the gap is not because of the tall aspect ratio since I don't see a bottom gap on a MotoG Play running Android 11 once I turned on the "Full Screen" option. I believe it's CC trying to compensate for the camera notch gap.

Unfortunately I don't see a "Full Screen" option on Pixel 7 Android 13.

As for performance, the downloading of a large library got slower and slower even with the recommended filename mask.
It didn't help that the Pixel 7 kept closing CC after I wasn't there to click on "Wait" when CC was busy, so I had to keep restarting the download all.
Once my entire library was downloaded it's very responsive, quite nice.

I'm still thankful that CC is 64bit, I had to give up several favorite apps that are 32bit only since Pixel 7 doesn't support 32bit.
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:44 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
CC is abandonware. It hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
peekpoke
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
CC is abandonware. It hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
That's why the title of this thread is "Best old version".

I am well aware of what happened with the purchase and abandonment of CC.

Unlike the sad mess iOS CC has been left in, I still find Android CC very useful.

I only wished to discuss the differences between the final releases, and which ran best on Android 13. Sharing experiences with those who continue to use CC.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I am using CC v.5.4.3.3 on a Samsung Galaxy with Android 12.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 06:33 AM   #5
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
I am using CC v5.4.4.19 on a Samsung A03s Smartphone And CC works fine until I try to sync it with Caliber. It just sits and ends with an error. I have 5000 books in my library. If I try this with a couple of thousand books, it works. But it definitely doesn't like a large library! CC works just fine with all my books on my Samsung Tab A.
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
peekpoke
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I am using CC v.5.4.3.3 on a Samsung Galaxy with Android 12.
Why the 5.4.3.3 version?

I've avoided the more recent copies because sorting, and notifications (showing books being downloaded) don't work.

Does anyone have a history of what changed in each new build, perhaps an archive of the multipie revisions page?

I remember there was a page with some versions of CC directly from the author.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:27 AM   #7
peekpoke
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8HW View Post
I am using CC v5.4.4.19 on a Samsung A03s Smartphone And CC works fine until I try to sync it with Caliber. It just sits and ends with an error. I have 5000 books in my library. If I try this with a couple of thousand books, it works. But it definitely doesn't like a large library! CC works just fine with all my books on my Samsung Tab A.
My main problem with the newer Google Play versions of CC was broken sorting, and no notifications. When I'd connect to download all books it would look like it was hung until it completed.

When you say "sync" do you mean "Download All", or connect as a wireless device syncing books?

When odd things happen when I connect CC, I open the desktop Calibre that the phone is connecting to, and look for pending jobs or other status. I have seen communication errors on the Calibre side, mostly when my phone is out of power, or was stopped because it took too long.

You can even connect as wireless device without sync, and then use the Desktop Calibre interface to send books you have updated to CC. I used to do this with an older iPhone because the iPhone version of Calibre didn't have batch Download like Download All.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
WDC Sync only Syncs (updates Metadata and the format) the books IN CC if there were any changes. It does not add new titles (automatically).

WDC allows you to PUSH books from the Calibre GUI (which shows known books on device).
The Content server is a Pull only. Calibre is unaware of any books on device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #9
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekpoke View Post
Why the 5.4.3.3 version?

I've avoided the more recent copies because sorting, and notifications (showing books being downloaded) don't work.

Does anyone have a history of what changed in each new build, perhaps an archive of the multipie revisions page?

I remember there was a page with some versions of CC directly from the author.
The auto-update to the next version under the new owner wouldn't open books for me using any reader. That issue may have been resolved, but to be honest, I did not like CC under the new owner, so I went back to 5.4.3.3 and have never updated.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #10
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I just went back to an old Android 10 tablet that has CC 5.4.3.3 before the new owner took over. Such a delight to use! Also has Bookari Premium 4.3.0 Build 476. Perfect combination, now if Samsung will just NOT update it, I'm set until the tablet gives out.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #11
copyrite
Wizard

The Google Playstore App updated on my phone the other day and changed the settings for apps to auto-update. Took me a bit to figure out why CC was opening the same book file for every title in the widget. Once I realized it, it only took me 20 minutes to reload 5.4.3.3, restore the settings, and synch across Calibre.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:58 AM   #12
peekpoke
Enthusiast

I assume others have noticed the AMAZON links don't work anymore in CC.
Amazon changed the URL format from:

https://www.amazon.com/ASIN

to

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN

It doesn't appear to be fixed in any release I've tested.
Has anyone looked into patching that string in the APK?

If I could just patch in a new string, we could use a URL shortener to create something the same length that would work.

I did some search for how to patch APK files, and sadly you can't just open a hex editor and make a change. Apparently I have to unpack the APK, and do something akin to disassembling the code to just modify a single string.

Yes, you can just edit the URL after the browser open fails, but that's fairly annoying.