Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2022, 10:55 PM   #796
Slights
Slights began at the beginning.

Device: pw2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
You should be able to as your firmware is <= 5.14.2

Dave
Thanks Dave! I have a pw4 (I think; it's the 10th gen) but it looks like the lowest firmware under the pw4 folder from the download link is 5.13.4, should I just be using that?
Slights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:35 PM   #797
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slights View Post
Thanks Dave! I have a pw4 (I think; it's the 10th gen) but it looks like the lowest firmware under the pw4 folder from the download link is 5.13.4, should I just be using that?
If you actually are running 5.12.2 then you should be able to use KindleBreak, which is simpler than this one to run. You can find information on that in the Open Sesame thread.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 06:44 PM   #798
neo_free
neo_free began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Hello, i new in this
can i login to my amazon account after jailbreak? or is it better not to?
neo_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:42 AM   #799
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_free View Post
Hello, i new in this
can i login to my amazon account after jailbreak? or is it better not to?
If you do renameotabin to block updates, then it’s safe. I’ve logged into my Amazon account after jailbreak without any problems yet.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:25 PM   #800
Darthagnon
Darthagnon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I, too, am one of those people who mistook 5.12.2 for 5.12.2.2 and tried unsuccessfully to jailbreak with WatchThis instead of KindleBreak (wish the OpenSesame megathread hadn't archived that).

Now I'm stuck on the demo menu. As WatchThis didn't work, I removed the binaries, but I still can't exit the demo menu, as it comes up with an application error. Trying to do a factory reset, but it complains about the battery being too high. Do I just have to wait a few weeks, and then use KindleBreak?

Could we add a PSA to the original post that 5.12.2 IS NOT THE SAME AS 5.12.2.2? I thought the menu had just concatenated a number.
Darthagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:34 AM   #801
Darthagnon
Darthagnon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Smile

Resolved! Waiting overnight was enough time for the KT2 on 5.12.2 (not 5.12.2.2) to factory reset, now for KindleBreak. Really glad it didn't brick!
Darthagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:18 AM   #802
muggleMode
Enthusiast
muggleMode began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Question help to reinstall the HotFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Reboot, then reinstall the JB hotfix.
what are the steps to reinstall the JB hotfix?
just put the "Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin" in the root of the device?
muggleMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:39 PM   #803
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggleMode View Post
what are the steps to reinstall the JB hotfix?
just put the "Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin" in the root of the device?
You should just be able to drop the hotfix in the root of the device and go to settings and update.

If that doesn't work you can try to put it in the mrpackages folder and run ;log mrpi in the search bar.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 11:15 AM   #804
muggleMode
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketheduke View Post
You should just be able to drop the hotfix in the root of the device and go to settings and update.

If that doesn't work you can try to put it in the mrpackages folder and run ;log mrpi in the search bar.
i install the jailbreak on my PW5 perfectly
accidentally update to the latest version (5.15.1)
got this error when i try to reinstall JB hotfix

"Update Error
An invalid update file has been loaded on your device"

when I disconnect the cable after copying the file to the root folder it gives me that error, and then it deletes the file...

and when i try to install something with ;log mrpi
i got white screen after the installation and had to hold to power button to restart the device

I'm going to turn on airplane mode and wait for the next jailbreak. there are no solutions I already gave up.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:12 PM   #805
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggleMode View Post
i install the jailbreak on my PW5 perfectly
accidentally update to the latest version (5.15.1)
got this error when i try to reinstall JB hotfix

"Update Error
An invalid update file has been loaded on your device"

when I disconnect the cable after copying the file to the root folder it gives me that error, and then it deletes the file...

and when i try to install something with ;log mrpi
i got white screen after the installation and had to hold to power button to restart the device

I'm going to turn on airplane mode and wait for the next jailbreak. there are no solutions I already gave up.
I'm sorry to hear that.
What happens when you type
Code:
;log mrpi
into the search bar and press enter?
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:28 AM   #806
muggleMode
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketheduke View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.
What happens when you type
Code:
;log mrpi
into the search bar and press enter?
still have the "Hush little baby..." message

but when i try to install something with the ;log mrpi

i got blank screen after the installation and have to hold to power button to restart the device.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:36 PM   #807
Chrona93
Chrona93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
AKA CVE-2022-23224, CVE-2022-23225, CVE-2022-23226 - full writeup with technical details to be released after 5.14.3 has been widely rolled out.

Thank you to NiLuJe, yparitcher and darkassassinua for adding KOReader support for PW5, repackaging all of the hacks and testing this jailbreak

This vulnerability is released in good faith and in the hope that other security researchers will utilise the access that it provides to assist Amazon/Lab126 in improving their security posture.

If you're concerned about the security of your device and do not wish to jailbreak, install firmware version 5.14.3 from this link - I've been working with Amazon to create a fix and can confirm that this version has been hardened against this vulnerability.

Additional thanks to everyone at Amazon/Lab126 who contributed towards this .

Finally, I encourage Amazon/Lab126 to provide a method of unlocking their devices that doesn't involve the need of a 0-day, both for security researchers and for technical users who are interested in modifying their devices. We know that your employees lurk here, use tools that we've created internally and that our ideas have been implemented by you more than once, so help us help you - I promise that we don't bite

Device Compatibility
Spoiler:

This jailbreak is compatible with Kindle devices running the following firmware versions:

KT3, KT4, KOA1, KOA2, KOA3, PW3, PW4, PW5:
5.14.1 (5.14.1.1 on PW5)

KV:

KT2, PW2:

You must use the exploit payload that matches your device/firmware combination exactly.

Download Link
watchthis-jailbreak-r03.zip

Installation

Setup
  1. Factory reset the device Make sure to use the "en_GB" or "English (United Kingdom)" locale when setting the language.
  2. Type ;enter_demo in the Kindle search bar after performing a factory reset
  3. Reboot the device
  4. Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter dummy values for store registration when prompted.
  5. Skip searching for a demo payload
  6. Select the "standard" demo type
  7. Press "Done" at the prompt to sideload content. Do not sideload the jailbreak at this stage.
  8. Once the demo is setup, skip the misconfiguration lockout using the "secret gesture" (double finger tap on bottom right of screen then swipe left)
  9. Enter the demo configuration menu by typing ;demo into the search bar
  10. Select the "Sideload Content" option

Jailbreak
  1. Connect the device to a PC and:
  2. Create the directory .demo at the root of the Kindle storage
  3. Copy ${YOUR_DEVICE}-${YOUR_FW_VERSION}.zip to .demo/
  4. Copy demo.json to .demo/
  5. Create an empty folder at .demo/goodreads. Do not put any files in this folder.
  6. Press "Done" at the prompt to install the jailbreak script
  7. Exit the demo menu and either enter ;dsts or swipe down and select the settings icon to enter the device settings menu
  8. If an application error occurs, hard reboot the device by holding the power button, enter the demo menu again and select Sideload Content -> Done once more without connecting to USB
  9. Select "Help & User Guides" then "Get started"
  10. If jailbreaking KT2 or PW2, select the store button instead
  11. The device will reboot
  12. The jailbreak script will run during the next boot

Post Jailbreak
  1. After the device has rebooted, type ;uzb into the search bar
  2. Connect the device to a PC and copy Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to the root of the Kindle storage
  3. Eject the device and either enter ;dsts or swipe down and select the settings icon to enter the device settings menu
  4. Select Update Your Kindle to install the custom hotfix
  5. This will take your device out of demo mode, rebuild the application registry and clean up unneeded jailbreak files.

Troubleshooting
  • Alternative Demo Mode entry method:
    • Create an empty file named DONT_CHECK_BATTERY at the root of the Kindle USB storage
    • Activate demo mode by typing ;demo into the search bar
    • Once in demo mode, skip setting up wifi and enter dummy values for store registration when prompted
  • If you need to reset your device whilst in Demo Mode, enter ;uzb in the search bar to enable USB storage mode then create an empty file named "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" at the root of the Kindle storage. Once this has been created, reboot the device.
  • Video demonstration of secret gesture

You should now have a freshly jailbroken Kindle
I have a new Paperwhite 5 with firmware 5.14.0.1. Where do I find a download for firmware 5.14.1.1 or one of the other versions listed here? All I can find are links to Amazon's page which just gives me 5.14.1.

Is there an archive of all Kindle firmware versions somewhere?
Chrona93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:51 AM   #808
voratio
voratio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
All the firmware files are on Amazon's servers, the problem is they just happily point you to the latest.

To get a specific version, go to the Amazon firmware page. Locate the link for your Kindle model, click on it to start downloading the latest firmware (right now, it's 5.15.1). In your browser's download section/button, right-click on the file as it's downloading and copy the link for it, then stop the download. Open a new tab, paste the link and edit numbers from the firmware version at the end to the firmware version that you want (5.14.1.1, for example) and press Enter to start downloading the file.
voratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:29 PM   #809
breakmeouttahere
breakmeouttahere began at the beginning.

Device: kindle kt3 5.13.5
i inherited a kindle kt3 lately and i thought oh boy does amazon suck, but what the heck - i have no idea what im doing, but OP surely does - i will jailbreak it! well, yeah the guide is pretty comprehensive, up until things start to go wrong and you realize you really have no idea what youre doing, so right now im stuck (i think) in like a new installment, but cant even enter ;demo mode, cause of the whatever shipping requirement. it basically says, my battery is charged too much. so what the heck do i do? wait a month so it depletes a bit? and even if this works out somehow, this is just my first question, cause the jailbreak didnt work the first time i tried either (no clue why and dont even ask me how i got unstuck that time). and what does it mean to just create a file and name it this or that anyway? do i just DO_FACTORY_RESTORE.h3m orr?
breakmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:01 PM   #810
breakmeouttahere
breakmeouttahere began at the beginning.

Device: kindle kt3 5.13.5
okay, scratch the bit about being stuck, now im stuck in a different way. so im at
9. Select "Help & User Guides" then "Get started" yeah okay, sure, now im reading the manual?
10. If jailbreaking KT2 or PW2.. im not, so
11. The device will reboot. nope im reading the manual
breakmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak