Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #106
vitorm
vitorm began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
I think torrent files are good idea. Not sure how many would/could be able to seed after complete.
vitorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #107
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I need his links for the pastebin.

Would it be safe to add (honorable purpose) torrent links, so many folks can share the bandwidth load?
I have never had anything but trouble with torrents.
Hold off on that if you would.

I have his **temporary** links, but we don't want to beat his cloud account into the ground without his knowledge.

= = = = =

About %1 of the successes confirmed.
Probably %100 of the failures reported (one still unresolved brick).

You think maybe this site has a few (thousand) lurkers?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #108
keroro430
keroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfolded

@SteveJordan, did you unbrick your PW3?
I also get USB Drive(Letter in Explorer and "Please insert disk into (Letter".
keroro430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #109
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroro430 View Post
@SteveJordan, did you unbrick your PW3?
I also get USB Drive(Letter in Explorer and "Please insert disk into (Letter".
Has there been three bricks and I missed one of the reports?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #110
vitorm
vitorm began at the beginning.

I did download from your mirrors but haven't tried to jailbreak yet (for lack of time).
But I also have some questions.
01) does pw3 IMG links on pastebin are mirrors (including md5) or is there any difference between its variants(wifi/3g)?
02) I have some annotations and highlights, if I copy the whole Kindle folders and files from USB, can I copy it back without breaking anything? Will it work the same way? Will notes and highlights persist?

Thanks for all developers involved.
I have been following this forum for the last couple months and I'm glad you found a new way.
Also, if my device brick during jailbreak, I I'd never blame the jb developer (I read knc1 saying sorry for the guy who got his pw3 bricked). It's polite but I think you shouldn't be responsible for that, you are just trying to help without asking anything back.
vitorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #111
knc1
Going Viral

01) They are (should be) bitwise identical - they where transferred server-to-server.
Same with the 3rd mirror that we are not yet using.

02) I honestly don't recall if either of those is stored in /var/local (which will get wiped out).

02.b) Do not copy **everything** just the contents of /documents/*
(I'll fix the directions about that RSN)

02.c) If you return to the same version that was running when you copied them out, before you copy them in - there should be no trouble.
Any other combination will probably crash the indexer.

Last edited by knc1; 07-06-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #112
Sepelion
Sepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage
Hmm. That's interesting.

As I posted earlier, I tried the method in OP w/ my PW3, and got to step 4 trying to revert to the initial firmware that was hosted on that pastebin, and bricked (probably for similar reasons as the other two PW3 wifi guys here).

But, as I said, I was able to get away with the DO_FACTORY_RESET trick in the home directory to unbrick, and afterward I upgraded to the latest 5.8.1.1 for PW3, and now after playing with my unbricked Kindle for a while, despite logging into it with my same account that was registered to this kindle for special offers (I never paid the money to turn them off), it's not showing them, but rather the wallpaper cover, and both sliders are "off" in the special offers settings.

*scratching head @ the how to brick and unbrick your PW3 to get rid of special offers method*
Sepelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #113
peterslo
peterslo began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 2
Ive done it again, silly me.

Jailbroke pw2, all was good.... Until I factory reset it. Should I start from the first step to get it jailbroken again?
peterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #114
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterslo View Post
Ive done it again, silly me.

Jailbroke pw2, all was good.... Until I factory reset it. Should I start from the first step to get it jailbroken again?
You should only need to re-install the 'hotfix' package.

Note: If your going to change the device's registration status - you will need to re-install the 'hotfix' package again.

(oops - unless this is a PW-2 - in that case, install the MKK package)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #115
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepelion View Post
- - - -
*scratching head @ the how to brick and unbrick your PW3 to get rid of special offers method*
You can't, that information is (partially) in a database server at Amazon.

Go to your Kindle account and change the Special Offers status - pay them money if you can't sweet talk them into doing it for free.

Then connect your Kindle to the Internet and give Amazon's system a chance to update your Kindle's local status files.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #116
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
01) They are (should be) bitwise identical - they where transferred server-to-server.
Same with the 3rd mirror that we are not yet using.

02) I honestly don't recall if either of those is stored in /var/local (which will get wiped out).

02.b) Do not copy **everything** just the contents of /documents/*
(I'll fix the directions about that RSN)

02.c) If you return to the same version that was running when you copied them out, before you copy them in - there should be no trouble.
Any other combination will probably crash the indexer.
Top post edited and hopefully improved.

- - - -

Somebody else ride herd on this baby for me - I have to take a several hour break.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #117
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I have never had anything but trouble with torrents.
Hold off on that if you would.

I have his **temporary** links, but we don't want to beat his cloud account into the ground without his knowledge.

= = = = =

About %1 of the successes confirmed.
Probably %100 of the failures reported (one still unresolved brick).

You think maybe this site has a few (thousand) lurkers?
My original simple debricking thread also experienced a one-percent "thank you" rate. Sort of like cold-calling and door-knocking for new clients.

I have the temp link for 5.4.3.2, but I chose to not publish it without specific approval. It would be nice to have more mirrors for all the links, but we will not have direct access to the download counts then (and I like that metadata).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #118
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepelion View Post
... I upgraded to the latest 5.8.1.1 for PW3, and now after playing with my unbricked Kindle for a while, despite logging into it with my same account that was registered to this kindle for special offers (I never paid the money to turn them off), it's not showing them, but rather the wallpaper cover, and both sliders are "off" in the special offers settings.

I had special offers disable themselves when I debricked a K5 and updated to official amazon firmware. During a support call I mentioned this to the amazon tech, who said "consider youself lucky and enjoy it". As I reported before, even amazon techs were referring folks to my simple debricking thread, especially after one of their official firmware updates bricked a buttload (126 gallons) of kindles, probably to save themselves from having to deal directly with the financial aspects of replacements. We quite literally saved them a "metric crap-ton" of money. That is probably why they condone (i.e. tolerate) our debricking image servers.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-06-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #119
knc1
Going Viral

Freudian slip?
"they condone (i.e. tolerate) our debrinking image servers"
Old 07-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #120
geekmaster

Quote:
Freudian slip?
"they condone (i.e. tolerate) our debrinking image servers"
Oops. Apparently. A "Brink's Job" may be needed to pay for server bandwidth, eh? And these downloads won't fill your Brinks truck any time soon, will they?