Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #16
Tim1979
Tim1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GLP
Also has anyone received an update later than 45.1.14?
Tim1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You should be able to just copy the ebook files from "My Digital Editions" to the NOOK drive.
Using the File Browser.

Once the Nook is already authorized with your ADE ID, which apparently must now be done via the device UI, you don't *need* ADE at all. Obviously, it is much more convenient, but B&N have clearly said "screw that".

As for calibre, why doesn't it work? Do you have the latest version of calibre? Have you posted your problem in the calibre forums?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #18
Tim1979
Tim1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GLP
The problem that I am having without Calibre is the same as mentioned by someone else on this forum earlier. It worked for a while and no it says that all my books have been returned already. even books that were checked out 30 seconds before and placed on the nook. I'm curious to know if anyone has checked out ebooks and put them on the nook several times without this being a problem. Like I said, the "support" team said it was a known problem.

Not sure why Calibre doesn't work. I need to look into that as a second issue.
thanks.
Tim1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:59 AM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Library books are a problem, and I don't expect B&N to roll out a new update anytime soon considering how long it took to get the update that allowed ADE authorization. Non-library books work fine.

Make sure you've updated Calibre to the latest version. I am able to use it to transfer books ok.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1979 View Post
The problem that I am having without Calibre is the same as mentioned by someone else on this forum earlier. It worked for a while and no it says that all my books have been returned already. even books that were checked out 30 seconds before and placed on the nook. I'm curious to know if anyone has checked out ebooks and put them on the nook several times without this being a problem. Like I said, the "support" team said it was a known problem.

Not sure why Calibre doesn't work. I need to look into that as a second issue.
thanks.
So, calibre works just fine as far as you know, but the books have authentication problems?
It probably isn't calibre's fault all calibre does is copy a file across.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2016, 05:56 AM   #21
howarddcb
howarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Library books are a problem, and I don't expect B&N to roll out a new update anytime soon considering how long it took to get the update that allowed ADE authorization. Non-library books work fine.

Make sure you've updated Calibre to the latest version. I am able to use it to transfer books ok.
I got an update last night to Version 45.1.24_user / 4.5.1.55. I no longer get the error about library books having already been returned.
howarddcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for sharing! That's great news!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #23
River_Lethe
River_Lethe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Same problem

I have software version 45.2.22 / 4.5.2.58, and I have the problem with the "ERROR OPENING BOOK, This book has been returned." message sporadically. Some books work, some don't. Most recently there was a book I erased and reloaded several times with no success, then I tried checking out an additional book and reloading both of them. Now the first one opens but the new one does not.
River_Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #24
Smashed
Smashed began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Library books onto the GLP

I just bought a new Glowlight Plus last week, followed all directions on registering it, doing the Adobe ID thing, transferring library files to the PC, etc, but absolutely could not get the library books to show up on the device. What was weird was that they were showing in the Nook file on on my PC monitor when the Nook was plugged in, but nowhere on the Nook itself. In My Files, it said I hadn't transferred any files. I exchanged the device today, hoping it was a glitch with the unit, but no such luck. I spent about 1.5 hours on the phone with Nook support, doing everything they told me to do - zippo. The techs (there were two) told me they'd have to refer the problem to the next level and someone would get back to me in the next 5-7 days (!).

I started googling similar problems and found lots of suggestions online. I followed all the steps I've seen in various posts on various blogs about this, but no luck. After futzing with it myself for the past hour, I finally got it to work with these steps:

1. Download the EPub version from the library. It landed at the bottom of my screen (Windows 10). It's also in the "Downloads" list.
2. Click on the downloaded file and it opens in ADE.
3. Click back to the "Library" page in ADE.
4. Right click on the book cover.
5. Click on "Show File in Explorer".
6. Find the title in the list and drag the title to "My Files" in the Nook.

I don't know if it matters, but I had the Nook connected to the PC from the start.

The above steps worked for me, but, based on my experience with other folks' advice, who knows if this will work for anyone else??

If I didn't have so much invested in BN ebooks, I'd jump ship...
Smashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can remove the DRM and then jump ship. I recommend a Kobo Reader to replace you nook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #26
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I recommend a kindle myself...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can remove the DRM and then jump ship. I recommend a Kobo Reader to replace you nook.
I second that opinion. If you remove the DRM, you can buy any e-reader you want and not lose your purchases. It also frees you up to buy e-books from wherever you want. I now buy my books from Smashwords or Amazon, though I've never owned a Kindle.

I did move from Nook to Kobo, but I have been eyeing the Glowlight Plus, because of the waterproofing. Seems like a nice e-reader when decoupled from B&N's shenanigans.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, glowlight plus, overdrive