Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-24-2017, 02:18 AM   #31
stumped
Addict
stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.stumped turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Samsung tab s , fire HDX 8.9, fire hd 8
ok - the OP talked only of having his entire personal register in 2 columns, not an extract.

anyway, that can partially be done because some of the apps/ readers base their decision on when to show 2 columns, based on font and windows size, not CSS, Thus a small font for the extract may make it happen.
for only a smell extract, an embedded image may be the quickest / simplest fix
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #32
RbnJrg
Guru
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
what do you want to view it with

e.g. for ADE (2.0.1 ) on PC , reflowable 2 column is automatic, it is triggered by font and window size.

for (android) kindle app you just tick allow multiple columns etc....
Suppose you want to write an ebook in two languages, one language at the side of the other, paralell columns, so the text doesn't flow from one column to another. You could do it with a table, but a table has many issues with ereaders. In cases like that, a two columns layout is the best option.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #33
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
I don't want to let you wait for Monday. But I had to become clear about some issues.

First! User devices dependent ePubs could be done by producing different versions, e.g. a version for Kindle, for KF8, for 'pure' .epub readers, and so on.

Or to use one stylesheet, fitting all, or let's better say some different users devices via media queries: I read some info (a bit theoretical) and the w3 schools page. To understand it right: A Kindle looks in the Styles list for the Kindle reserved stylesheet and uses automatic that one, a KF8 auto-detact the KF8 stylesheet and so on? Fine!

But there is a very real other problem: I couldn't test these versions, as I got only my Tolino 3HD.

Standard lists in <li> tags. By the time @Tex2002ans thought about (#28), they were already done. A personal register (1030) plus a title register (1190 entries).
Especially in regard to the latter and to the size of a Kindle PW or Tolino reader (6 inches), a two columns register seems me not so useful anymore.

The book Werke comes in 6 volumes, but these registers only reference the journalistic work of Joseph Roth, Volume I, II & III. The roman numerals in the register entries indicate these volumes, followed by latin numbers indicating the page numbers. As there are no page numbers in an ePub, the registers introduced to the ePub as a visual copy only would be of limited use/value, while they only would indicate the 'zone', where is to find something (e.g. in beginning, middle or at the end).
To make the entries valueable it means making them functionable/clickable. And that would mean an intensive work of months, maybe years. Just now I don't know if I want to do that.

It would mean at a rough estimate about up to 10000 links + the inline ToC links.
I would have to insert both registers to each volume, ... or making one volume out of three with 3225 (1115/1030/1080) closely printed paper book pages. Scaling the ereader to 22 or 25 lines per screen page, the ePub would got about 6000 to 7000 screen pages. Is that anymore to handle ... by humans and/or the ereader?

Please help me to think about. For me it's the first time I do something like that.

Blaming God and ourself!
Spoiler:
Reading your posts was/is very interessant, but also gives us the horror vision of a complicated world. We can blame God, if creator of the world, giving us different languages, so that we hardly can make us understandable (often that is even a problem by users of the same language, as we know).

While for that confusion around 'columns' in ereaders, to stay with the matter, we must blame just ourself.

Right here I remember to these specific comments of our wizard @Terisa de Morgan.

Last edited by chaot; 03-24-2017 at 04:22 PM.
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote