Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #16
Book Illustrator
Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Book Illustrator knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That depends on the royalty option you choose. With 70% royalty you pay delivery cost and so have incentive to use little or no graphic content. With 35% royalty Amazon takes care of delivery and so you have incentive to sell the best quality book that you can with lots of high-res illustrations.
I missed this post. That is very good to know. I'll have to look into that because it changes everything. I was under the impression that it was 15 cents per MB, period.
Book Illustrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Illustrator View Post
JHowell, have you had a Kindle book with images published? I'm curious if you're satisfied with the way the images look after the kindlegen process vs the original image quality.
I have, and yes I'm happy with the results. Even the images uploaded at the old recommended size of 450x550 pixels are acceptable on my Fire tablet and Paperwhite e-inker. Now however I upload images 800 pixels wide, though compressed to the recommended 127 KB. That's meant as a courtesy to the clueless owner of a hi-rez device who doesn't realize he can zoom a smaller image (and those images uploaded at the recommended size of 600 pixels wide can look pretty small on the newer screens).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:27 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Illustrator View Post
Thanks, JHowell.
Go here: https://developer.amazon.com/public/...and-resolution

And check out the screen rez's. You should not use 72dpi. You'll be sorry, if you see your book on an HD device, or even a plain Fire. Scroll down past the screen sizes, and look at the density. The lowest-density screen is 149ppi, and the larger go up to 339ppi.

My assumption in giving this advice is that your images are really important to you--that they are more than just, say, a chapter head image, or something along those lines. If they are NOT crucial--say, they are chapter head images, or a fleuron, or the like--you can go down in rez and overall size.

BEAR IN MIND that a) the K4iOS app still doesn't handle image sizing very well, for images under 100% of the width of the screen, and that b) the LITB is now showing ebooks pretty much as they are coded--so, an image that you've set to be 80% of the width of a Fire, is going to need enough rez/pix, etc., to look halfway decent in the LookInside when the viewer is a looking at it on a largish desktop monitor--like mine. Right? Publishers and professional book producers need to think multi-dimensionally these days.

Hope that helps.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote