Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 03:22 AM   #916
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Have you a link for 1.17? I lost my DMG in a hard drive crash and was only able to find 1.19 at the time. I'm currently on 1.23.
A search for the file name (KindleForMac-44182.dmg) shoudl find sites that still have it around. You can then check the SHA-256 checksum of the file you download to make sure it hasn't been tampered with.

I found a good link on the second page of results.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-06-2020 at 03:35 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #917
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon has released Kindle for PC and Mac version 1.29.

The What's New screen has the generic "stability improvements and bug fixes." In my quick test of Kindle for PC I did not notice any obvious differences from the previous version.

Because the software has changed I doubt that the patch from apprenticesakuya to disable KFX will still work on this version. I am curious to learn whether the other workaround to avoid KFX on the Mac will function.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #918
mexofeed1
mexofeed1 began at the beginning.

Device: Supernote A5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have updated the first post in this thread with SHA-256 hashes. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks!
mexofeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #919
mexofeed1

Also, a lot of Hindi books (not necessarily textbooks) are not downloadable with KindleForPC 1.26. I will be eagerly awaiting the crack of KFX v4
Old 07-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #920
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexofeed1 View Post
Also, a lot of Hindi books (not necessarily textbooks) are not downloadable with KindleForPC 1.26. I will be eagerly awaiting the crack of KFX v4
Hindi has been supported in KFX format on Kindle for PC going back to at least version 1.21.

Please share the ASIN of a book in Hindi that cannot be downloaded using K4PC 1.26.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:43 AM   #921
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... Because the software has changed I doubt that the patch from apprenticesakuya to disable KFX will still work on this version. I am curious to learn whether the other workaround to avoid KFX on the Mac will function.
Ran quick test. chmod -x still works on Mac. apprenticesakuya's patch does not.

Curious if Amazon released this version simply to thwart apprenticesakuya's patch on PC.

Last edited by odamizu; 07-08-2020 at 02:48 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:19 AM   #922
rcv
rcv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thank you

Couldn't get a Kindle book converted in Calibre with the latest verion of "Kindle for PC". Got the 1.70 version, checked the SHA-256 hash, and installed it.
Works perfectly - thank you.
rcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #923
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Comment over at Alf's blog saying they found themselves logged out of Kindle for Mac 1.17 on a Mojave VM, and then they couldn't log back in. I'm still logged in and able to download books with Kindle for PC 1.17 on Windows 10. Anyone having issues?

ETA: The person over at the blog came back to say they got it sorted. So it looks like it was a false alarm for now.

Last edited by lkmiller; 07-08-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: update
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #924
Amazondoc
Enthusiast
Amazondoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX and Fire HD
Ugh.

Just now my Calibre failed to deDRM an azw file for the first time in a long while.

Mac OS 10.15.4
Calibre 4.13.0
Kindle for Mac 1.27.0

I'm currently downloading the newest Calibre, and I'll be catching up on the latest developments in this thread real soon, so I don't really expect any advice from you guys right now. I'm just bitching 'cause it's annoying!
Amazondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #925
Amazondoc
Enthusiast
Amazondoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX and Fire HD
Update: Whew! Calibre 4.20.0 saves the day.

Major props to all the busy busy coders who keep fighting the good fight for us! :-)
Amazondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #926
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Preventing undesired app updates

The Kindle app can be aggressive about updating itself to the latest version. Even after the option to automatically install updates is deselected the software sometimes will update itself unexpectedly. Here are some tips on preventing this:

If the program updates to an undesired version then run it and uncheck the setting to automatically install updates under
Tools->Options->General and save preferences before uninstalling.

Once the desired Kindle version has been reinstalled go to the setting to automatically install updates, check and then uncheck it again, and save preferences.

When running the app if a dialog pops up indicating that a newer version is available chose the option to "skip this version".

The re-installation process may need to be repeated multiple times before the desired version will stick.
This doesn't seem to work anymore: this morning, when I opened Kindle installed automatically 1.29.0 (58059), even though I've been on 1.24.511068 with the automatic updates unchecked since September 2019 with no problem: I'd always been asked before.

I'll apply your procedure again, and cross my fingers that it doesn't happen again and again.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #927
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just ran Kindle 1.71.1 for Windows and I got a requester asking if I wanted to update to 1.29 and I was able to decline. Maybe you got the same requester and accidentally allowed the update..
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #928
mexofeed1

Quote:
Hindi has been supported in KFX format on Kindle for PC going back to at least version 1.21.

Please share the ASIN of a book in Hindi that cannot be downloaded using K4PC 1.26.
Here are three: B07PMS31QQ, B01MFF73MC, and B07HPD68CM.

These are the steps I took:
  1. Start a new Windows Virtual Machine with Hyper-V (I wanted to make sure nothing on my PC was messing it up).
  2. Install KindleForPC-installer-1.26.55076. I checked to make sure the hash was correct.
  3. Sign in to my Amazon account.
  4. Try to download any of the three books. I get the following error:

Other books don't have that error.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #929
mexofeed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
This doesn't seem to work anymore: this morning, when I opened Kindle installed automatically 1.29.0 (58059), even though I've been on 1.24.511068 with the automatic updates unchecked since September 2019 with no problem: I'd always been asked before.

I'll apply your procedure again, and cross my fingers that it doesn't happen again and again.
I often check AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\updates\. KindleForPC will download an installer for the latest version there and then install it when you next start the program. If you delete the installer from that folder, it will ask if you want to the skip the version or not. If you click skip, it usually won't bother you again until Amazon releases a new KindleForPC.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #930
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexofeed1 View Post
Here are three: B07PMS31QQ, B01MFF73MC, and B07HPD68CM.
Since first book on your list was under a dollar I bought a copy and tried it on my Windows 10 PC using Kindle for PC version 1.26. I was able to download it in KFX format without any error.

I can't explain why it does not work in your system. Possibly something to do with the VM?

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc