Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Alex_T
Alex_T began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony 900
Calibre generated ebooks for Sony does not work in iPad

I use Sony reader 900 and iPad, and has a books in fb2 format.
For Sony I need to generate epub files with embedded font because default font used in custom firmware I use is not satisfactory for me (Liberation font definitely not intended for mass reading - but this is another story).
So, I add Calibre plugin which allow to embed font with some tweaks, and it is working ok.

recently I try to upload these ebooks to iPad. and found, that some of them works, some not - itunes just ignore them (add to common library, but do not sync). after some time author of Calibre suggest that embedded fonts generate nonstandard namespace which probably not supported for iPad/iTunes, and definitely not supported by iBooks. this is true for 9.2 and iBooks 1.1 (and, by the way, works ok in previous version of iTunes).

so, the question - how I can convert single book to 2 different epub books, one for sony with embedded font (and switched on plugin), and another without (probably with switched off plugin), for the same book in the same time? I suspect that calibre allow only 1 instance of book per format?

may be it is possible just to strip embedded fonts during iPad upload?
Alex_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You are correct in that Calibre only allows one instance of a particular format for a book. Have you tried using LRF format for the Sony, and ePub for iTunes? I am not sure if the 900 still supports LRF like earlier Sony models did.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_T View Post
so, the question - how I can convert single book to 2 different epub books, one for sony with embedded font (and switched on plugin), and another without (probably with switched off plugin), for the same book in the same time? I suspect that calibre allow only 1 instance of book per format?
You can always keep 2 records for the same book, each with a different EPUB and tag them differently. Starting from an existing record: add an empty book, merge the book you want to copy into the empty record with the "keep others" merge option. This will give you two identical book records (with all formats). Then convert the EPUB format of one record to Sony EPUB format and tag that record "forSony". A search for tag:forSony will show only the converted records.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
Alex_T

thanks for information.
but I still can't solve another problem - how I can convert in the same time from fb2 into 2 epub copy with different plugins set for each conversion (one epub should run under plugin on, another - not)?
Frankly, I don't want to constantly goto settings, search for plugin, switch it on and off for each book twice???

this is "EPUB font embedding plugin" for output file formats

Last edited by Alex_T; 06-25-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Alex_T

I found another solution - on Sony 900 I update manually user.css file on epub directory, and upload my preferred fonts here.
seems that after that my epub books without embedded fonts works ok on both devices.
Advert