Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Apple sued for promoting the iPhone as an ebook reader

Maybe Amazon and Apple can share their attorneys.

From the Apple Insider via the Amazon Kindle Review:

Quote:
An overseas communications firm is suing Apple for promoting its iPhone handset as a touchscreen digital book reader, a concept it claims to have patented over seven years ago.

In a 7-page complaint filed with a Virginia district court Monday, Berne, Switzerland-based MONEC Holding Ltd accuses the iPhone maker of patent infringement, unfair trade practices, monopolization, and tortious interference for allegedly treading on its January 2002 patent No. 6,335,678 titled "Electronic device, preferably an electronic book."

A self-described "leading innovator for mobile, globally usable communication solutions," MONEC claims to be in the business of "developing and marketing equipment for the transmission of data to mobile electronics communication systems, managing and utilizing patents in this area and awarding licenses."

In its lawsuit, the firm takes issue with Apple's move to distribute digital book reading applications through the App Store, which it subsequently sees as an endorsement by the Cupertino-based company that its touchscreen handset can serve as a capable eBook reader.
As far as I can tell, Apple has not promoted the iPhone or iPod Touch as ebook readers. They just happen have apps that allow one to read ebooks on their devices. Is the Sony 700 next?

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-24-2009 at 11:18 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Actually, I saw a commercial just yesterday for the iPhone that played on the word "read". I can't remember all the apps it used - one was "if you want to read an MRI, there's an app for that".

The last one was, "if you just want to read a book, there's an app for that". I couldn't tell if it was showing the eReader or Kindle app - but given the timing of the recent release of the Kindle, I assumed it was Kindle.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Actually, I saw a commercial just yesterday for the iPhone that played on the word "read". I can't remember all the apps it used - one was "if you want to read an MRI, there's an app for that".

The last one was, "if you just want to read a book, there's an app for that". I couldn't tell if it was showing the eReader or Kindle app - but given the timing of the recent release of the Kindle, I assumed it was Kindle.
I've seen that spot. They still seem to be in the clear to me because they didn't create any of the reading apps (as far as I know).
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Here we go again!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sounds like unabashed patent trolling to me. Has MONEC developed even a single product? Judging from their pathetic website, I doubt it.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Sounds like unabashed patent trolling to me. Has MONEC developed even a single product? Judging from their pathetic website, I doubt it.
But it says right on their home page (only page):

Quote:
MONEC is an innovative leader in the growth market of mobile communications systems.
Since 2000!

They only have time to "innovate" not "develop".
Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I'm sure Apple has a fat litigation funds, so this is a small banana for them.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Monec just recently got an out-of-court settlement from HP over the same patent. They are obviously hoping to do the same with Apple - get a settlement that will cost Apple a lot less than contesting the patent.

Patent troll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Unfortunately Apple like to sue people for the same thing or threating with suing. Otherwise we could hope that Apple could spend money to change the patent system to a working system.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
MONEC claims to be in the business of "... managing and utilizing patents in this area and awarding licenses" aka "patent trolling".
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
MONEC claims to be in the business of "... managing and utilizing patents in this area and awarding licenses" aka "patent trolling".
wow , so you can actually set up a business doing this?
How come?
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #12
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Well, what's define as "book" in the digital world? What we're calling digital books here are really just a bunch of files. Any computer can read and display text. Does that constitute "book"? The name "book" in the digital reader realm is a misnomer and a carry over from print book realm where it's clearer what is a book and what isn't.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 03-25-2009 at 01:49 PM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's got to be plenty of prior art from this. The Peanut Reader program (whose eReader descendant is now one of those programs that lets people read books on the iPhone) was around for two years before they applied for this patent. Hell, Ben Bova's Cyberbooks novel pre-dates it by several more years. (And if Heinlein can have his waterbed...)
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysart View Post
wow , so you can actually set up a business doing this?
How come?
Because patent laws are screwed up and corporations have enough money to get some courts to let them get away with it (aka Texas).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
There seems to be a lot of litigation going around recently, especially related to ebook technology. Good luck to them is all I can say. I can read books on my computer, is that worth suing over as well?
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote