Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Reading on a Blackberry?

Oh. My. Goodness. NOW I get why they call them Crackberries. My husband got one less than 24 hours ago and he is so addicted I thought he was going to take a vacation day to play with the thing. He insists I have to have one too, and NOW. This is fine with me, especially since from some Google info, it seems mobipocket has application, books and store for Blackberries?

Anyone know anything about this and how well it works?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes its called mobipocket for BlackBerrys. You can downloaded it directly from the Mobipocket web site (m.mobipocket.com).

I have the BlackBerry Storm and MobiPocket is fantastic on that application. Their blackberry solution allows one to purchase eBooks online (from the BB) you can also download books from your BooksOnBoard, fictionwise accounts.

You can also download books. Feedbook.com and Manybooks from your BB.

I've posted a screen capture of the mobipocket for the Storm here

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! That's way cool!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Ok, so I got the BlackBerry - had to call Verizon to figure out why I wasn't receiving any sort of text messaging - turns out the firewall was blocking everything (boy did I feel like an idiot). First thing after I got that resolved though, I installed mobipocket for BlackBerry, found a couple of books, put them in the folder and disconnected from PC. Voila! Books on the go - even more go than my EZ Reader. The screen is better for reading than I was afraid it would be, actually it's better than I hoped it would be. I did have to bold the font, but I'm VERY pleased with this!
Old 02-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I keep one book on the Blackberry for what I call "stealth reading". Say you're sitting in one of those boring corporate meetings. You look at your pal who has pulled out his Blackberry (or iPhone) and is scanning his e-mail. You smile, whip out your Blackberry, and sneak a quick chapter of your latest book. Everyone around you thinks you're doing something work-related and instead you're having fun.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Yeah, I don't think I'll be keeping my whole library on it (though I could, this thing takes up to a 32 gig micro sdhc card), but I'll definitely be carrying a few books with me for "emergencies". It may, however, replace my mp3 player - not only does it hold more, it sounds better.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
And it can nag you, too! :)

I've been using a PDA of one form or another for the last nine years.

I don't own an MP3 player, an ebook reader, a day planner, or a _simple_ pocket calculator[1]. Yet, amazingly, I listen to music, read ebooks, don't miss many meetings, and my meeting minutes are electronic, so I can futz with them after the meeting and send them to the appropriate people.

My current pocket doohickey now is also my cell phone (Samsung SCH-i760) so I carry one less boat-anchor around. Life is good.

Enjoy your Blackberry.

One suggestion: There's plenty of short fiction available, just the right length for long meetings.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

[1] So sue me. I'm old school enough that I use an RPN scientific calculator, and PDAs can't quite cut that.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post

[1] So sue me. I'm old school enough that I use an RPN scientific calculator, and PDAs can't quite cut that.
Have you tried http://calculator.org/ for an RPN calculator?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Wrong Writer
Wrong Writer began at the beginning.

Device: None
Something I don't understand here. OK, you install a reader on Blackberry to read books.
But doesn't it ALREADY COME with a browser? Meaning that you can read books in html or pdf format as is?
Wrong Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Writer View Post
Something I don't understand here. OK, you install a reader on Blackberry to read books.
But doesn't it ALREADY COME with a browser? Meaning that you can read books in html or pdf format as is?
Not every book is available or readable by a browser... and not all PDFs are tagged, which makes them difficult to impossible to read on a small device (ever try scrolling up and down, AND left and right, to read a document?). So having a reader app is very handy.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Writer View Post
I chose not to pay for the cellular data service for my Blackberry. It's a phone and I can send/receive SMS text. But I can't connect it to an e-mail server and I can't browse the Internet. This is an older Blackberry and doesn't have a Wi-Fi component. (Do any of the Blackberries have Wi-Fi?)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
PinkBlythe
PinkBlythe began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, soon Kindle or txtr
yes, some Blackberrys have wifi - like my 8900.
PinkBlythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Wrong Writer
Wrong Writer began at the beginning.

Device: None
OK, bear with me because I'm trying to understand and don't own a Blackberry myself.

If your BB doesn't have wifi, how would you load a book into it? USB? Dock? Memory slot?

And however you do it, couldn't you load up an html book as easy as a mobipocket book?

And if it doesn't come with a browser, wouldn't it be easier to install a mobile Opera or Firefox brower than the mobipocket reader? (If it does, it seems like it would be a waste of space to have both)

Also wondering, just how much space does a BB have? How many books would it be practical to have aboard?

Thanks
Wrong Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
CBroda
CBroda began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Storm
OK, so I got the beta installed

Hi. I'm new to Mobi, been using my Storm for months.
So, I'm alittle confused. The full screen looks great, but...
HOW DO I NAVIGATE?
I keep trying to scroll, tap, etc. but I find the only way to navigate is to turn the keyboard on. Why didn't I stay with the old version (non-Storm beta)?
What am I missing ;-<
CBroda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Anyone tried eReader?

The eReader beta software for blackberry is available now. Has anyone had a chance to try it? JKOnTheRun had a write-up about it a while back, but it is always nice to get a second opinion.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote