Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 02:46 AM   #1
jpla1991
jpla1991 began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-Reader newbie on the market

Hello, everybody!

I'm planning on buying an e-reader (maybe 2, for my girlfriend as well) and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions based on your expertise. For now, the Kindle Paperwhite seems a good choice but I wanted to know how much of an hassle is to convert between mobi and Epub because I guess I'll most likely get books from online public libraries, since I'm most interested in reading classic literature. However, I am a student and I also have lots of pdf's to read... I don't need them to be properly formatted, just would like to read the pdf's as I'd read if I was using Adobe Pdf Reader.

So, do you think that the Kindle Paperwhite is a good choice for me?
And how easy/hard would be too use Calibre in case I can only find Epub and need to read it on a Kindle and vice-versa?
I may even go for something water resistant, of the price is not too steep and it keeps other functions that I need.

Thanks in advance
jpla1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:57 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Which online public libraries? What country are you in?

Have you decided on things like display size and lighting?

Do you care about font and display options? (Line spacing, margins, font weight, that sort of thing.)

What sort of PDFs? You probably already know that a tablet will offer a better PDF reading experience than an eink device. Reading PDFs on eink can be anywhere between a bit worse to virtually impossible, depending on the PDF and the device.

Last edited by meeera; 07-19-2017 at 04:00 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You don't need to go to the library for a lot of classic books. Amazon itself has a lot of free ones, also the Gutenberg site has a lot of free public domain books that can be downloaded as mobi(kindle) books. There are a bucnch of other sites that have free public domain books as most classics are that you can download in the format of your choice.

The basic functions of Calibre like adding books to your library and sending them to your device are very easy. Converting formats of non-DRM'd books is also simple. Books from a library will almost certainly have DRM and Calibre alone will not be able to convert them. There are plug-ins to do that but I would not use that for library books.

If you haven't used ereaders before I would recommend one of the Kindles. Amazon will let you return it within a month if it turns out you don't like reading on it. It gives you a chance to see if you like reading that way and you can get your money back if you don't. I'm betting you will like them a lot.

Last edited by crossi; 07-19-2017 at 07:38 AM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Books from a library will almost certainly have DRM and Calibre alone will not be able to convert them. There are plug-ins to do that but I would not use that for library books.

If you haven't used ereaders before I would recommend one of the Kindles.
The first quoted part is why I currently disagree with the second quoted part: there is no Kindle public library borrowing outside of the USA. We need to know where the OP is, which is why I asked that in my first reply.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The first quoted part is why I currently disagree with the second quoted part: there is no Kindle public library borrowing outside of the USA. We need to know where the OP is, which is why I asked that in my first reply.
I didn't know that public libraries outside the US didn't have mobi downloads available. I still recommend kindles for someone who is not sure they would like reading on an ereader. Amazon makes it very easy to return them so if it turns out they just don't like ereaders and all their ebooks are free public domain they won't be out a bunch of cash. And it gives them a few weeks to decide what they want or don't want in an ereader if they are considering a different brand.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If he just wants classic literature, then a kindle and the library here are all he needs.
No calibre, no converting. No hassles.
Here is a little secret for the OP. Unless you are changing systems like from a Kobo to a kindle or a Kindle to a Kobo, there is no real need to worry about converting because nearly every book is available in both formats.
You are new to ereaders, you want to read the classics, there are 3 places to get the classics free, Amazon, Project Gutenberg, and the library here at Mobileread. All in the format for the kindle or a Kobo..

As to Calibre, contrary to the 8,000 posts you have read it, it is not really needed.
I have a kindle and read mostly free books on it.
I bought a Kobo first and to be honest all the books on it were free.
So doing free books, I don't worry about backing them up or converting them or anything else.

Now as to the pdfs, get a cheap tablet.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, the Kindle eBooks from Overdrive are whatever are available from Amazon. So most of the time, you won't get Mobi.

But, if the OP is outside the USA, then go for a Reader that handles ePub natively using RDSK (ADE). I cannot say about Onyx or Pocketbook, but I do know that Kobo does this.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Now as to the pdfs, get a cheap tablet.
Get an iPad. But, make sure it's an iPad with a 64-bit processor so iOS 11 will work with it.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get an iPad. But, make sure it's an iPad with a 64-bit processor so iOS 11 will work with it.
I don't want an Ipad. I prefer my Samsung.

Seriously to the OP, get a kindle, make sure you like reading on it before investing a bunch of time and effort into Calibre and the sort.

Recommending a Kindle for the generous return policy if you don't like ereaders.

Tablets are much better for pdfs. Though I don't particularly care for the fire tablets.

Also note: Jon and I will both tell you what we use. He is an Apple headed Kobo and I am a Kindle Android.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't want an Ipad. I prefer my Samsung.
Can you ffind an Android app for PDF as good as Goodreader for iOS?

Quote:
Seriously to the OP, get a kindle, make sure you like reading on it before investing a bunch of time and effort into Calibre and the sort.

Recommending a Kindle for the generous return policy if you don't like ereaders.

Tablets are much better for pdfs. Though I don't particularly care for the fire tablets.
(IMHO), I prefer a Reader that handles ePub because you generally get more options/features. That means for someone in the US, I would suggest Kobo. I would recommend the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (H2O2) or Kobo Aura One (KA1). The H2O2 has a 6.8" screen which is nice if you want larger than 6" but not too much larger. The KA1 is 7.8" about the same size as the iPad Mini.

Quote:
Also note: Jon and I will both tell you what we use. He is an Apple headed Kobo and I am a Kindle Android.
I'm not an Apple fan boy. I'm recommending the iPad for PDF because of the Goodreader app. It's one serious app for handling PDF.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you ffind an Android app for PDF as good as Goodreader for iOS?

(IMHO), I prefer a Reader that handles ePub because you generally get more options/features. That means for someone in the US, I would suggest Kobo. I would recommend the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (H2O2) or Kobo Aura One (KA1). The H2O2 has a 6.8" screen which is nice if you want larger than 6" but not too much larger. The KA1 is 7.8" about the same size as the iPad Mini.

I'm not an Apple fan boy. I'm recommending the iPad for PDF because of the Goodreader app. It's one serious app for handling PDF.
I never said you were a fan, just that you owned iPad and Kobo.

I personally use UBreader for pdfs on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Very readable.

At least between the two of us, we have given the OP several options.

Now and this is just me, since Amazon has an easier return policy especially if the OP is in the US, I think he should get a Kindle and some free books to see if he even likes an ereader.
He can always return it and get a Kobo if he finds he wants more customization than the Kindle offers.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think either a Kindle or a Kobo is a good choice if you want to read classics. Either store will give you all the free classic books you're likely to want in the correct format. You can also get them from Project Gutenberg in either format, also free, and from a number of other sources.

Personally I prefer Kindles but Kindles and Kobos are both excellent. I have both and I use both.

If your need for PDF is also because of your classic reading you can probably forget PDF. Everything in classic books is available in mobi and epub.

If your need for PDF is for some other reason I'd consider getting a 9.7" or 10" tablet of some sort. Kindles and Kobos will read PDF but you need a larger screen because in most PDF's the text doesn't flow. Reading most PDFs on a 6" screen is pretty difficult.

There are also larger e-ink readers but they're expensive and I don't know much about them. They might be worth looking into if you don't have budget limitations.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:49 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Note that when the above posters say "classics", I'm pretty sure they mean "books in the public domain that are freely available from places like Project Gutenberg". Not all literary classics are free of copyright yet.

But there's not much point saying any more til the OP returns.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Note that when the above posters say "classics", I'm pretty sure they mean "books in the public domain that are freely available from places like Project Gutenberg". Not all literary classics are free of copyright yet.

You are absolutely correct.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Quote:
You are absolutely correct.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote