Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Harvard Business Review: "Why I Returned My iPad"

http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2010/06...d-my-ipad.html

Quote:
It didn't take long for me to encounter the dark side of this revolutionary device: it's too good.

It's too easy. Too accessible. Both too fast and too long-lasting. Certainly there are some kinks, but nothing monumental. For the most part, it does everything I could want. Which, as it turns out, is a problem.
It's always something
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none

"be careful what you wish for, you might just get it"

Last edited by scottjl; 06-16-2010 at 12:37 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
he'll be back...they always come back
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
That is a kick....

But really, it's not for everyone. As I've said before, I bought mine on a trial basis. Sure I kept it and love it. But if it didn't meet my needs, I'd of taken it back in a heartbeat....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
But if it didn't meet my needs, I'd of taken it back in a heartbeat....
But would you take it back if it met too MANY of your needs?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
But would you take it back if it met too MANY of your needs?
Truth be told, it is WAY better than I thought it would be, and beyond my expectations (which were really pretty low), and no I would not take it back and didn't take it back
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i'm with you bremen.. i picked up an ipad on release day because i had an opportunity to do so and it's a new gadget (and i have a serious addiction to gadgets). i expected to be.. indifferent about it.. not great.. not horrible.. and thought it would soon be collecting dust.

i'm glad to say it's been a daily companion for me now from checking email first thing in the morning (no need to power up my laptop), to reading a book settling to bed at night. it isn't "magical" in the sense that the device does something amazing i couldn't do on something else. it's "magical" because it's thin, light, versatile and so easy to use. i hit a button and tap an icon and i'm checking email. in 15 seconds. and i get a very good email experience. i'm not waiting for a laptop to start up. waiting for an application to start up. by the time my laptop is done booting i'm already reading some feeds on my ipad.

the ipad is here, in my hands, now, it is made by apple. if someone has something that meets my needs better in 6 months, a year, has more features that i need, you can be sure i'll be getting one and chatting with those folk who have them as well.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
i'm with you bremen.. i picked up an ipad on release day because i had an opportunity to do so and it's a new gadget (and i have a serious addiction to gadgets). i expected to be.. indifferent about it.. not great.. not horrible.. and thought it would soon be collecting dust.

i'm glad to say it's been a daily companion for me now from checking email first thing in the morning (no need to power up my laptop), to reading a book settling to bed at night. it isn't "magical" in the sense that the device does something amazing i couldn't do on something else. it's "magical" because it's thin, light, versatile and so easy to use. i hit a button and tap an icon and i'm checking email. in 15 seconds. and i get a very good email experience. i'm not waiting for a laptop to start up. waiting for an application to start up. by the time my laptop is done booting i'm already reading some feeds on my ipad.

the ipad is here, in my hands, now, it is made by apple. if someone has something that meets my needs better in 6 months, a year, has more features that i need, you can be sure i'll be getting one and chatting with those folk who have them as well.
I bought one because it sounded like a good fit, figured I'd resell if I didn't like it. Turns out I love it. My husband comes home, I greet him and joke that he should kiss the baby, because the iPad is attached to me like one.

As for magical, I think it is, because it obsesses even those who don't own one. Just look at all those posters who spend time ranting about a device they don't own.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
As for magical, I think it is, because it obsesses even those who don't own one. Just look at all those posters who spend time ranting about a device they don't own.
magical troll attractor.. just what i needed.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
magical troll attractor.. just what i needed.
Lol. I'm into arm-chair psychology, so oddballs interest me.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Truth be told, it is WAY better than I thought it would be, and beyond my expectations (which were really pretty low), and no I would not take it back and didn't take it back
I don't see your Sony 300 anymore in your profile. Has it been replaced by your iPad? Is iPad a dedicated reader for you? (For me, it's a multipurpose gadget. Surfing, playing games and reading magazines. Reading books is an option, but iPad isn't my preferred solution for that.)
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I don't see your Sony 300 anymore in your profile. Has it been replaced by your iPad? Is iPad a dedicated reader for you? (For me, it's a multipurpose gadget. Surfing, playing games and reading magazines. Reading books is an option, but iPad isn't my preferred solution for that.)
I finally removed the Sony 505 from my profile...sadly, it was neglected for so long it no longer even charges...I guess the battery went bad?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Yes, my wife and I both sold our Sonys. They were great devices, it is just that the iPad fit us better....
Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books

1 ipad for the 2 of you? how do you arrange custody? lol.

wife got a new macbook and is happy with that.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
1 ipad for the 2 of you? how do you arrange custody? lol.

wife got a new macbook and is happy with that.
We made it about 10 days with only one iPad before I caved and bought my own. Then again, I have only-child syndrome--I don't like to share my toys!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote