Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Kobo Arc available launch on November 9-16th?

It is, at least according to BestBuy.ca: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...b5ab57ff6den02

It's November 15th, though, according to the Chapters/Indigo/Coles/Smithbooks behemoth: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/Gifts/...ing%3akobo-arc

FutureShop.ca suggests the 16th: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...7278cb2c8fen02

It's available March 2013 according to Somcam Marketing, whoever they are: http://www.somcan.com/index.php?int=...9&ActivePage=0

My partner's Vox is in need of replacement, so we're very much looking forward to the release of the Arc.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Scrap king
You might want to check out some of the other 7" tablets.
I have a vox and was thinking I might upgrade.
After a little research I bought an Asus Nexus 7.
It's a killer unit. Fast and reliable and 16gb unit is $240 at best buy.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I also upgraded from the Vox to the Nexus 7.
Rather than pay $240 for the Nexus 7 16GB from Bestbuy why not pay $209 direct from Google instead? Even with the $20 shipping charge it is still cheaper from Google. I think the 32GB one for $259 is a better value though.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
Scrap king
You might want to check out some of the other 7" tablets.
I have a vox and was thinking I might upgrade.
After a little research I bought an Asus Nexus 7.
It's a killer unit. Fast and reliable and 16gb unit is $240 at best buy.

Larry
I'm not sure what you think the advantage of the Nexus 7 is over the Arc. They both have Google Play, they both have similar specs overall (especially since they boosted the storage capacity of the Arc), both have 1GB of RAM, have similar overall horsepower (one's clocked higher, the other is quad core vs. dual core). However, the bezel on the Nexus 7 is larger than the Arc's bezel, so the Arc looks nicer to hold.

And the 16GB Arc is $199.99 ($40 cheaper). For the price you quoted, you're only $10 away from the 32GB Arc.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I also upgraded from the Vox to the Nexus 7.
Rather than pay $240 for the Nexus 7 16GB from Bestbuy why not pay $209 direct from Google instead? Even with the $20 shipping charge it is still cheaper from Google. I think the 32GB one for $259 is a better value though.
Since neither the Nexus 7 nor the Kobo Arc have SD card ports, the fact that the Arc has a 64GB version (for $299.99), I think I'd rather go that way. Why be limited to only 16GB or 32GB when you don't have to, when the devices are so similar overall in other respects?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
The nexus 7 have bluetooth and OTG.
The nexus 7 will "always" (supposedly) have the latest android.
The nexus 7 have better battery life.

The screen on the nexus 7 is not so great.

I will still go for a kobo Arc.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
The nexus 7 have bluetooth and OTG.
The nexus 7 will "always" (supposedly) have the latest android.
The nexus 7 have better battery life.

The screen on the nexus 7 is not so great.

I will still go for a kobo Arc.
Are you going to pre-order one, or try to buy one in store when it comes out? The reason I ask is, I was told that some bookstores who stocked the Vox won't be stocking the Arc; apparently it's to be marketed a bit more like a tablet this time. So make sure in advance that your store of choice is going to stock it; if you're in Canada, only select Chapters/Coles/Indigo stores will get them, or so they told me the other day. I pre-ordered online with Chapters/Indigo. My suspicion is that the Arc will be far more popular than the Vox, and it will eventually be rolled out to the entire Chapters/Coles/Smithbooks/Indigo chain.

Seemed like a fair bit of interest there, actually, with lots of people commenting on the device (whereas there were no comments yet on the Nexus 7 on the same website).
Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Will try to get one on the release at Futureshop.

I got my Vox easily at launch like that.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
However, the bezel on the Nexus 7 is larger than the Arc's bezel, so the Arc looks nicer to hold.
Yes. This alone. Why the addiction to HUGE bezels with so many brands?

While I know I'm never going to buy an iPad mini, credit where it's due: they did get the bezel size, and overall weight of the entire unit, right with their first 7" offering. Not really sure what's wrong with everybody else in the world.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Will try to get one on the release at Futureshop.

I got my Vox easily at launch like that.
Just curious. Did you end up getting one?
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote