Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually I think the GUID might get created on the first sync.
I'll check this tonight. If I remember....
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'll check this tonight. If I remember....
Peter is right. I did a lot of testing on this when doing the calibre driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The old tag team of Peter and David strike again
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Ok. You can have shelves like:

Horrorbooks - Stephen King - Map
Horrorbooks - Stephen King
Horrorbooks - Clive Barker - Map
Horrorbooks - Clive Barker
Horrorbooks - Nancy Reagan - Map
Horrorbooks - Nancy Reagan
SciFi - David Weber - HonorHarrington
SciFi - David Weber - Dahak
SciFi - Asimov, Isaac - Foundation
SciFi - Asimiov, Isaac - Robot
SciFi - Asimov, Issac - Other

Well, two things here. Why do you need to keep 2500 books on your reader?
Secondly, I agree with you.
Actually having a personal library is what the Ereaders are about.That means yes you keep all your books with you. Now that said some people like to delete things and never go back to to them ever. But Others my self included like to reread things, and If I pay for the books I definately want to keep them forever. Its the reason I paid for them in the first place. But bottom line I enjoy reading, and a good book is always good. So rereading is sometimes just as enjoyable as the first time, where you took a step in to that fantasy world of the writer and imagined your self there.

So keeping the books all 2500 or more is not an unreasonable option. I kinda like the idea I can take that many books on the plane with out paying overage fees for the extra weight.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Actually having a personal library is what the Ereaders are about.That means yes you keep all your books with you. Now that said some people like to delete things and never go back to to them ever. But Others my self included like to reread things, and If I pay for the books I definately want to keep them forever. Its the reason I paid for them in the first place. But bottom line I enjoy reading, and a good book is always good. So rereading is sometimes just as enjoyable as the first time, where you took a step in to that fantasy world of the writer and imagined your self there.

So keeping the books all 2500 or more is not an unreasonable option. I kinda like the idea I can take that many books on the plane with out paying overage fees for the extra weight.

regards

Jack
I meant why do you have to keep them on your reader?

Keep them on your hard drive, and copy them to the reader when you want to read them. I reread books, but keep the books on my reader down to those that I haven't read, or are in the queue to be reread.

Even while travelling, you have a pretty good idea about what you want to read, or in my case reread (as the unread books are already on the device).

Since the user interface on the devices is slow, I rarely have to deal with more than 20 pages of books.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #21
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I meant why do you have to keep them on your reader?

Keep them on your hard drive, and copy them to the reader when you want to read them. I reread books, but keep the books on my reader down to those that I haven't read, or are in the queue to be reread.
I keep them on my hard drive, managed by Calibre.

But despite that, why should e-readers have 2 GB of memory, if it is not meant to be used or because 'the device is not developed to do so', and more important, why is it an important part of marketing then?
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #22
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by echwel View Post
I keep them on my hard drive, managed by Calibre.

But despite that, why should e-readers have 2 GB of memory, if it is not meant to be used or because 'the device is not developed to do so', and more important, why is it an important part of marketing then?
Because that is the next size card up from 1GB, which would be too small.

Until recently, the Kobo firmware wouldn't let you fill a 32 gb SD card and have enough room on the internal drive for the database and images.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Because that is the next size card up from 1GB, which would be too small.

Until recently, the Kobo firmware wouldn't let you fill a 32 gb SD card and have enough room on the internal drive for the database and images.
I understand. But Kobo stated, in an email to a reseller wich came in the hands of a customer (can't find the specific post anymore), that the device is not developed to handle a very high amount of books!? Filling up the internal memory is not what the device is developed for (ain't it remarkable!), let alone filling up a 32 fb SD-card.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
It was me that got that email. Yes, basically that's what they told the reseller. It's also pretty insulting to read that they dont consider you as a "real customer" when I just spent almost 200 Dollars to buy it. For some, this is not peanut money.
And the thing that got me extra mad is that Kobo does not advertise the 30.000-book-possibility as a side gimmick or an extra, but they highlight it.
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
echwel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
It was me that got that email. Yes, basically that's what they told the reseller. It's also pretty insulting to read that they dont consider you as a "real customer" when I just spent almost 200 Dollars to buy it. For some, this is not peanut money.
And the thing that got me extra mad is that Kobo does not advertise the 30.000-book-possibility as a side gimmick or an extra, but they highlight it.
I think you are right. I would really like to use the device as a real bookcase, but this, along with the fact that the userinterface is, to my view, not suitable to handle a large amount of books, keeps me from doing so.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #26
jeffdonnelly
jeffdonnelly began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue/Haoqing Meebook P78 Pro
Hello-

you may want to take a look at this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...bo+glo+calibre
tried this and works seamlessly....haven't tried it yet w/ micro SD card yet, still waiting for card to show up...
jeffdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
jeffdonnelly
jeffdonnelly began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue/Haoqing Meebook P78 Pro
Update, works great w/ Sandisk card from Amazon:
(SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter SDSDQUA-032G-U46A)
link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

Speed seems fine, and when i used Calibre to dump books and shelves to card, worked perfectly, the Glo picked up what I had sent to card and all were "shelved" correctly.
jeffdonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote