Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
b00le
b00le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Default format - restrict to only one

This feels like a stupid question but I've spent hours trying to find the answer in the documentation and here: How do I get Calibre to output only the format I want (AZW3). I'm getting ZIP files and others that I don't need. I want to set the default but I simply cannot figure it out (Calibre is not going to win any prizes for its user interface)
b00le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The default output format is set in the preferences. In the preferences dialog, go to "Behaviour" and then it is the first drop-down list. There is also a "Preferred input format order" that you might want to set to put AZW3 at the top.

But, what exactly are you doing when you produce the zip and other types of files? If you are adding book to the library, then claibre will add whatever format they are in. If you want an AZW3, you need to do a conversion after adding it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00le View Post
This feels like a stupid question but I've spent hours trying to find the answer in the documentation and here: How do I get Calibre to output only the format I want (AZW3). I'm getting ZIP files and others that I don't need.
What are you trying to do? We can't help you without a little more detail.

Quote:
I want to set the default but I simply cannot figure it out (Calibre is not going to win any prizes for its user interface)
Default input and output formats can be selected at Preferences - Behavior.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
b00le
b00le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I guess what I want is for Calibre not to manage my files. I just want to convert the public domain files – txt, html, rtf etc – for the Kindle. I already have the originals, and I don't need the ZIP files. I'm trying to reduce clutter. I found the default setting, thanks (I was foolishly looking under output options...). What I've taken to doing is making the conversion, copying the AZW files to the Kindle, and then deleting the books from Calibre. That still leaves me with a lot of empty folders I dare not throw away.... THanks for the help.
b00le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
What I've taken to doing is making the conversion, copying the AZW files to the Kindle, and then deleting the books from Calibre. That still leaves me with a lot of empty folders I dare not throw away....
I suspect you are doing the copy and delete outside of calibre. If you do the delete inside of calibre, it will remove the folders as well.

Quote:
I guess what I want is for Calibre not to manage my files. I just want to convert the public domain files – txt, html, rtf etc – for the Kindle. I already have the originals, and I don't need the ZIP files. I'm trying to reduce clutter.
If you don't want to put books into calibre for management, you can use the calibre command line tools to do the conversion. "ebook-convert.exe" is what you want. I don't use them, so I'm not an expert on how.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defaults, formats