Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Overdrive Confuzzled Me Yesterday

I had my very first Kindle 'transfer only via USB' borrow from Overdrive yesterday. I borrowed two books, and couldn't figure out why the one I wanted to read first didn't show up on my Kindle.

Guess I didn't look close enough when checking it out but realized it when the Manage Your Kindle page made it obvious I couldn't send it to the Kindle over Whispersync.

Also realized the extended version of The Stand is not Overdrive-worthy for me. I need to re-check it out! (I've read that book enough I can read it in bits and pieces and not have to rush to see what happens next, but I've never read this version before. LOL)
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I had my very first Kindle 'transfer only via USB' borrow from Overdrive yesterday. I borrowed two books, and couldn't figure out why the one I wanted to read first didn't show up on my Kindle.
I'm boycotting all Kindle USB only books. I'll just read something else.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hope they won't all eventually be USB borrows. I love the convenience of the Whispersync.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hope they won't all eventually be USB borrows. I love the convenience of the Whispersync.
So do I. But for every publisher that does it, I'll just find one that doesn't.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm boycotting all Kindle USB only books. I'll just read something else.
There's a glitch in the "USB Only" thing. Once you've sent the book to your computer for sideloading, it suddenly appears in your all your device/app archives. You can download it from the archive without sideloading. You just can't send it from the MYK page. I just got a Penguin book from the library and loaded it on Cloud Reader, K4PC, and the KF...no sideloading.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
There's a glitch in the "USB Only" thing. Once you've sent the book to your computer for sideloading, it suddenly appears in your all your device/app archives. You can download it from the archive without sideloading. You just can't send it from the MYK page. I just got a Penguin book from the library and loaded it on Cloud Reader, K4PC, and the KF...no sideloading.
I just downloaded Dune Messiah from my HP TouchPad and sent it to my K3; plus it's in my apps.

Wonder if/when they'll plug this hole up?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just downloaded Dune Messiah from my HP TouchPad and sent it to my K3; plus it's in my apps.

Thanks
You're welcome!

I hope it's never "fixed." Also, it seems the only block in getting Kindle library books from Penguin is that you must have at least one Kindle device registered to your account. You will hit a logjam of death if you only have apps registered...you can't complete the checkout process.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

Thanks
Maybe that counts as enough "friction" for the publisher.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
You're welcome!

I hope it's never "fixed." Also, it seems the only block in getting Kindle library books from Penguin is that you must have at least one Kindle device registered to your account. You will hit a logjam of death if you only have apps registered...you can't complete the checkout process.
What's interesting in the Penguin "Dune" series, is that some have the USB restriction and some don't. Go figure.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
copyrite
Wizard

I couldn't download the Overdrive title to K4PC through WhisperSync nor would the downloaded file open in K4PC, but the book opened from my archives on both my (Android) phone and iTouch.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Maybe that counts as enough "friction" for the publisher.
In the end, it was still a wireless delivery to my Kindle and I didn't have any extra steps in the process.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I couldn't download the Overdrive title to K4PC through WhisperSync nor would the downloaded file open in K4PC, but the book opened from my archives on both my (Android) phone and iTouch.
It appeared in all of my Kindle apps, my K4PC, and my Cloud Reader.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
copyrite
Wizard

It was listed in K4PC in my archives but I could not read it. Did you try opening it?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
In the end, it was still a wireless delivery to my Kindle and I didn't have any extra steps in the process.
I wonder if apps would have to be "updated" to block downloading from the archive. If so, I don't imagine Amazon will be in any hurry to do so. Furshlugginer Penguin and their friction...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It was listed in K4PC in my archives but I could not read it. Did you try opening it?
Yep; it opens in everywhere it went. I checked it just after it was downloaded to be sure there were no problems.