Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #1
JS_F
Connoisseur
JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.JS_F knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT RP1, Remarkable
How shall I remove the broken part of the tip inside the stylus?

The stylus fell on the ground, then the tip broke into two parts. The remaining part get stuck inside the stylus and I can't pull it out. As the result, there is no way to pinch a new replacement tip.

Any suggestion will be appreciated!

This folk has the same issue as me and he has some photos: https://lifehacks.stackexchange.com/...-of-the-stylus
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Ugh, that sucks.. apart from the suggestions made at stackexchange, another (risky) option is to find a thin rod, apply a TINY amount of superglue to it, press it against the old tip remains, wait long enough, pray, and pull. The risk being: if you put a little too much the glue might spread out and glue the whole mess to the pen.

Very bad that these tips can break off at that point, that should be covered by warranty imo.
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Does it screw in? I recenty got a PRS350. Though it had no stylus but I did eventually look closely and saw it was down in the slot, the upper part that hangs outside of the slot had broken off. I was able to coax it out of the reader and remove the plastic part that was broken off by using the end of a bent paperclip and turning it to unscrew it. Not that I've found any kind of replacement stylus that fits in the slot on the reader or a replacement end portion for what's broken off.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
Ugh, that sucks.. apart from the suggestions made at stackexchange, another (risky) option is to find a thin rod, apply a TINY amount of superglue to it, press it against the old tip remains, wait long enough, pray, and pull. The risk being: if you put a little too much the glue might spread out and glue the whole mess to the pen.

Very bad that these tips can break off at that point, that should be covered by warranty imo.
If you go that way, your best bet is to buy some modeller's glue with a fine syringe needle (like Revell Contacta), and then put a single drop on a surface to try out if it isn't too much.

I wouldn't go that way though.

Heating a needle and push it as hard as you can into the plastic seems to be the best way IMHO

EDIT: does anybody know of a ballpoint-like cover that prevents this?

Last edited by Dutchbook; 09-16-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Drill a small hole, say 0.8mm then screw a M1.2 screw as far as you can consider it's safe - then extract the whole by the screw head.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Update from my end, my stylus started writing intermittently even when fully charged. After carefully removing the tip I could see that the tip was cracked almost all the way through near the slightly thicker area. IMO there's no way that should be happening, given that the tip basically can't move left-right, and so it shouldn't be bending, even when you drop it.

I started a thread about this on the Sony forums a couple days back, but haven't heard anything, see here http://community.sony.com/t5/Reader-...tip/m-p/651607

In the meantime, has anyone found another compatible pen, or tried a warranty repair on a stuck broken tip? I don't want to end up spending $100 because a flimsy $0.01 piece of plastic snapped off..
Old 11-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #7
janzen
janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iLiad
It is not absolutely necessary to use a Sony stylus for your Sony reader.
I'm using a stylus of an old Irex reader successfully on my Sony PRS-T1
janzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #8
JoeS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzen View Post
It is not absolutely necessary to use a Sony stylus for your Sony reader.
I'm using a stylus of an old Irex reader successfully on my Sony PRS-T1
From what I read those were a different tech, at least I read about people using just plastic objects. If anyone has a list of pens compatible with the DPT-RP1, that would be awesome. Maybe it's somewhere in the giant DPT-RP1 thread, but I haven't found it yet.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
xoanohn
Connoisseur
xoanohn doesn't litterxoanohn doesn't litter

Device: Aura One, Aura, H2O, ipad pro 12.9 (2015 and 2017), PRS-T1, PRS-505
I called Sony support, and they shipped a new pen. It was painless except for that they had the wrong name so picking it up from fedex was a hassle.
xoanohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
JoeS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoanohn View Post
I called Sony support, and they shipped a new pen. It was painless except for that they had the wrong name so picking it up from fedex was a hassle.
Wow, that's amazing. I assume they asked you to ship the original pen back? Given that this almost happened to me I'm very interested in hearing the details.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Ages ago I bought a refurbished T600 and it came without the stylus that fits into the corner pocket. I ended up calling Sony support and they shipped me a stylus free of charge. Very pleasant to deal with.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Ages ago I bought a refurbished T600 and it came without the stylus that fits into the corner pocket. I ended up calling Sony support and they shipped me a stylus free of charge. Very pleasant to deal with.
I suppose Sony's customer support is just amazing as long as the problem they need to solve is not in the slightest of any technical nature.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #13
JoeS
Enthusiast

So just to make sure, I guess nobody has found a stylus that's compatible with the DPT-RP1, other than the included type?

On a related note, the number of reports on this exact problem is pretty notable, see here: https://community.sony.com/t5/Custom...us/td-p/645263 . I hadn't seen that thread before. The Sony responses in that thread are shhhhh let's take this offline. I think this means that they know this is a problem, and they're exchanging the pens for free. The question is will there be a long term solution, e.g. new tip design, new pen design?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
JoeS
Enthusiast

I've been checking on the thread on the Sony forum, and yet another user had the tip snapped off inside the stylus. It's definitely a trend, and not something I recall seeing for Surface pens or older Wacom devices.

The latest answer from Sony is "Thank you for posting in the community. Let me send you a private message so we can further discuss this matter." so they really don't want to address this out in the open. I think that's an admission that this is a real problem.

I hope at some point they'll communicate a resolution, for example coming out with new stylus tips that are "more robust than ever" or however they decide to tacitly admit that the old ones were bad..
Old 11-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #15
janzen
janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iLiad
As I said before stylus from other manufacturers can be used
janzen is offline   Reply With Quote