Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Phablets for reading?

Yeah, I hate that name too, but you got to admit there is no ambivalence about what I mean!

I've been thinking that I could replace my Kindle fire with, say, a Samsung Note since the screen is roughly the same size as my old Sony PRS300, and I wouldn't have to carry a phone AND a tablet.

Anyone using a phablet as a replacement for an ereader? How are they as a phone? Too big? Any surprises that you've discovered?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
While I don't have a Note myself, I've used my mother's (she has a Note II).

While I liked the device (and especially the pen...) I'd like to point one thing out. It might be about the same size as your Sony, the ratio is different. Your Sony was 800x600 (4:3), the Note II is 1280x720 (16:9). Which is probably the same as your Fire, but in a smaller device it can make a huge difference!

(and personally, I think even my Lumia 920 (4.5") is already on the large size for a phone... If I had a phablet, I'd most certainly buy a bluetooth headset...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
Sauyadav
Enthusiast
Sauyadav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o, iPad mini, Note 2
From my experience I can say that one get used to the size. I jumped from Nokia 5700 to Xolo A700 (4.5") to Note 2 and have used each device for reading without any issue.
Sauyadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the kind of info I've been looking for! Thanks.

Does anyone have any info or feel for the newly announced LG and HTC phablets? They and Samsung seem to be the only phablet vendors that Verizon here in the USA (i'm pretty much stuck with Verizon for a variety of reasons), are likely to support unless Motorola has one that I don't know about. Verizon will pretty much sell anything with the Moto logo. (good for Lenovo, still not sure the sale was smart, long term, for Google.)

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-17-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
My first was a Dell Streak, a torrid love-hate relationship with it. Still alive and kicking, but seldom using it now.
My current one, not yet fully utilized, is Sony Xperia Z Ultra. A better device to the streak, by miles. Reading on it is very pleasant.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
My first was a Dell Streak, a torrid love-hate relationship with it. Still alive and kicking, but seldom using it now.
My current one, not yet fully utilized, is Sony Xperia Z Ultra. A better device to the streak, by miles. Reading on it is very pleasant.
I looked this phone up, and it DOES sound good. As a photographer, that Triluminos display sounds perfect for displaying photos. (The camera though, sounds like a typical crappy phone camera). Unfortunately my carrier (Verizon) doesn't carry ANY Sony Phones! I don't know why, I'd love to see it in action!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I started with the Dell Streak (it still sits in its dock on the night stand as a really over capable alarm clock) and moved to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The form factor is really good for reading one handed but I carry an ereader as well for when I am outside.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
emoorman
Obsessive Reader
emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emoorman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nokia 1520
I guess I'm out of step again because I have a 6" Nokia Lumia 1520 with the Kindle App that I use. It has virtually replaced my Kindle Paperwhite for ebook reading.

It's an excellent phone and I like the Windows Phone 8.1 OS with the live tiles which replace icons that other phones have. You can choose any of 3 sizes for the tiles and assign anything to them-an app, book, phone number with picture, note, basically anything. I have owned a couple of Android phones and the wife has iPhones. This is my 3rd Windows phone .

At first it seemed very big, but after a week, my old Nokia with a 4.5" screen felt small. It was right after that I decided I didn't need two 6" devices so the Kindle PW hasn't been used for a good while.

Oh, the out of step comment. I'm writing this on a Google Chrome Box. Great little computer, by the way.
emoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Phablets for reading?

I have an LG G3, which probably qualifies as a phablet, given it's large size for a smartphone. It is a fantastic E-reader and I use it a lot for that purpose. I have a bit of ADD when it comes to readers, so I have a bunch that I move back and forth between (Kindle, Sony, iPad, Fire, LG G3), but I could easily settle on the LG g3 as my main reader if I were so inclined. The screen size and resolution work well.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I have an LG G3, which probably qualifies as a phablet
Wait...I have a G3, too. You're saying I have a....NOOOOOO!!! Never!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 AM   #11
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I have just replaced my Galaxy Note 3. Whilst I had reading apps installed, I only read on it in cases where there was no other choice. I have just replaced it with a Huwei Ascend Mate 7 which has a 6 inch screen as opposed to a 5.5 inch one. This screen is slightly narrower and slightly longer than the screen on a Paperwhite 2 6 inch reader. It's still early days but so far reading on it has been a pleasant enough experience with both the Kindle App and Moon Reader. My eyes love e-ink, but I am hoping I will find this phone good enough to avoid carrying my Paperwhite or H2O around everywhere with me. I'm actually wondering if, despite my increasingly sensitive eyesight, a carefully adjusted backlit display can be as good or almost so. Though I can't see me giving up on e-ink any time soon.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote