Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a Kobo Mini Glo?
Yes, it'd be the best eBook reader ever! 20 80.00%
No, that's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard! 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
DIY Frontlight?

Chances of a Kobo Mini Glo is very slim. Which leads me to a madness idea, hope you can help yourself not laughing!

Has anyone thought of doing a DIY frontlight project? I looked at disassembly of some Kobo devices with glowlight. My motivation is to implement a few low powered LEDs in my Mini and I believe it's possible... well, not like ComfortLight obviously!!! but just enough to make my sporadic reading at late hours possible without a lighted case (which for Mini are hard to find if feasible at all).

There are 5v LEDs on eBay.

There seems to be some enough gap between bezel and eInk screen to secure one or two LEDs that are attached to battery and have an on/off switch.

What are your thought?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Sounds like it might work.
Oh we did learn something about LED lights the other day. They won't turn completely off with a dimmer switch.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Sounds like it might work.
Oh we did learn something about LED lights the other day. They won't turn completely off with a dimmer switch.
I believe too that it's very doable. I don't want to make myself look like an idiot (puns intended ) but LED like this strip or something like that might work. Again obviously not perfect but OK.

Just needs to make sure it doesn't interfere with IR.
I'm waiting for your opinions guys/gals.

Edit: A question, all Kobo models use IR, or are there some that have capacitative touch?
Old 10-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Edit: A question, all Kobo models use IR, or are there some that have capacitative touch?
The Aura is capacitive. All other touch models have been IR.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:01 AM   #5
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Aura is capacitive. All other touch models have been IR.
That's weird, given Aura is older than say H2O or Glo HD !!!
I wonder why?
Advert
Old 10-23-2015, 03:20 AM   #6
Cex
Enthusiast
Cex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blueCex can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Glo; Glo HD; PW2; Voyage
There are some advantages of IR over capacitive, mainly that IR works with gloves, and avoiding one additional layer between the eInk and the eyes, thus providing better image quality (at least in theory).

Regarding your proposal, it is not so simple. Regarding IR interference, it should be not a problem as white LEDs do not emit such wavelenght, but front-lit screens feature and aditional layer that spreads the light so it get more or less uniform to all the screen.
Without such layer you will surely get the light only on the edge of the screen as there will be nothing proyecting the light to the sceen, it will travel parallel to the eInk though the upper layer of the screen.

Anyway it is worth to give a try and check the results.
I intended to try this idea on a Pyrus Mini, but never found time to do it.
Cex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
thatworkshop
hub

Thank you @Cex. I'll keep posted.

I read this post and I didn't understand it completely. So what should I be careful when separating the front panel from the eInk panel?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-23-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
thatworkshop
hub

I'm working on a dead Kobo Touch as a guinea pig. I believe it's possible to have a rudimentary form of front-light. Here is my idea/project:

I don't want LED's to interfere with IR. I have attached all four sides of the Kobo. They are all occupied with sensors with distances, except for the area around home button which has a little nice spot to put 2-3 LEDs. On Kobo Mini, there's no home button, but hopefully this area is not occupied by IR sensors!???

The best spots to put LEDs:
A. Around home button
B. In the four corners
D. (maybe, just maybe but very unlikely - and a PITA) On right and left edge just between neighboring IR sensors

Top part is not good to put LEDs at all, except for two corners! So right, bottom and left edges of screen. In my opinion, only A and B are enough to have a nice front-light (maybe even just A suffices for a fair lighting!)

I have attached pictures and the LED spots I want to pursue (in red circles, you might need to zoom in to see).

What are your thoughts, people?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	143106   Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	143107   Click image for larger version

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	143108   Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	143109   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom_with_LEDs.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	143111   Click image for larger version

Name:	top_with_LEDs.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	143112   Click image for larger version

Name:	right_with_LEDs.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	143113   Click image for larger version

Name:	left_with_LEDs.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	143114   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-panel.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	143115  
Old 10-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
thatworkshop
hub

I am indeed very positive my plan will work.

I have put 5 rice grains to mimic size of LEDs on the bottom edge. I am delighted to say that the bezel sits quite nicely on the other edges and on the bottom edge looks very neat and tight enough to let light go through!

I will also salvage battery from the demise Kobo Touch and put in Mini to account for longer battery life in presence of LEDs in the system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5_rice_grains.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	143118   Click image for larger version

Name:	5_rice_grains_front_panel.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	143119   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_batteries.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	143120  
Old 10-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #10
thatworkshop
hub

Edit: Asked mods to move this thread one level up to Kobo Reader forum.

What color for LED? I read an article claiming that even frontlights on today's eReader worsens sleeping cycles in some people, not sure if it's yet another scientific garbage or truth!?

But, I might go for 5 red LEDs. ?
Or should I stay with white LEDs?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-23-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
mkeles84
Enthusiast
mkeles84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura/Glo/Kindle PW2
Really I was thinking Kobo Touch LED option. Only front light is more expensive about 50$.
I am very happy someone try to do.
mkeles84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #12
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeles84 View Post
Really I was thinking Kobo Touch LED option. Only front light is more expensive about 50$.
I am very happy someone try to do.
Well, the reason I shared this proof of concept is to get ideas from people who are experienced with electrical/electronical stuff.

I found some 1mm and 0.5mm LEDs that caught my eyes. Anyone please feel free to chime in.

Also, I'd like to first try it on my Kobo Touch to test and weed out interference between IR sensors and LEDs and get a sweet spot. The PCB board of my Kobo Touch is fried and if someone (in Canada/USA - North America) has one and is willing to donate for this small project, it'd be good.

I want to make this happen. Feel free to let me know your ideas and directions too. For LED, what about these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161534532145

or even the simple attached LED that I have even on my bike's switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tiny-new-LEDs.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	143125  

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-23-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now, how would you get the Kobo software to recognize the LED lights and be able to adjust them?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
thatworkshop
hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now, how would you get the Kobo software to recognize the LED lights and be able to adjust them?
I won't bother with that part, at least yet. It'd be just a simple on/off switch! Important part is to get sweet spots not in interference with infrared thingies.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-23-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My guess it that it would look terrible, without a light-guide layer the lighting would be so uneven it would be a real distraction to reading. I think you would get much better results from a clip-on light.

Edit: And without a light-guide-layer to direct the light down on to the screen it would really be more of a sidelight than a frontlight, and every bit of dust on the screen would cast a shadow.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-23-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: ... more of a sidelight than a frontlight ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote