Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #121
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Your assumption is incorrect. I was the CC Android dev until recently. Several years ago I asked for and received that permission for Android and iOS, which is why there is a separate CC forum. You may have issues with the new CC dev (Sam), but don't manufacture new ones from whole cloth.
Fair enough. Thank you for the clarification.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #122
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
… Books are small enough to download over a cellular connection if I need to, so I'm fine using dropbox as my library and my CC as a temporary staging area to download my books. It's interesting to me that so many people rely on having their whole library stored on their devices.

Switching to a subscription method after I paid for the app definitely makes me grumpy though.
I used CC as an interface to my library, rather than having all the books already downloaded. It was easier than going through folders in Dropbox. I’d then download individual books from Dropbox as I wanted them.

I certainly won’t be paying a subscription as long as the app doesn’t work, and the new developers don’t seem in a hurry to reassure users, or to fix it, so I probably need to look for another way to browse my library on iOS.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #123
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insalata View Post

I certainly won’t be paying a subscription as long as the app doesn’t work, and the new developers don’t seem in a hurry to reassure users, or to fix it, so I probably need to look for another way to browse my library on iOS.
That's the disappointing aspect of all this, the lack of communication or release of a new version that works correctly. I'm not sure what the business model is for the new developers. In general, the original IOS developer was very responsive during the initial beta.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #124
chobe2
chobe2 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Changing of the guard - 6/29/2019, it's one of the sticky notes.

The good news is that it actually went a lot faster than it has in the past, so there have been some improvements. I was able to download some 3700 in less than an hour, which is a lot quicker than it took last time I had to download all my books...
Quick - maybe dumb - question: I've noticed that you and others have mentioned downloading thousands of books to CC. How are you doing this? I've been downloading them one at a time to CC on my iPad from Dropbox. Takes forever! BTW, my Calibre is on a Mac and my library is stored on Dropbox. Thanks in advance!
chobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #125
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobe2 View Post
Quick - maybe dumb - question: I've noticed that you and others have mentioned downloading thousands of books to CC. How are you doing this? I've been downloading them one at a time to CC on my iPad from Dropbox. Takes forever! BTW, my Calibre is on a Mac and my library is stored on Dropbox. Thanks in advance!
I have Calibre on my iMac and connect to that Calibre server via wireless. I generally download in batches of either 500 or 1000. If you are using Dropbox, then it's quite likely you have networking delays. I do have fast wifi at home.

I back Calibre up to Dropbox, but I don't use Dropbox to download from.
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #126
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
WDC (Wireless Device Connection) Mode behaves just like a USB cable, A PUSH from Calibre. That supports Multi-selected (in Calibre)- Send to Device.

OTOH Content Server (or cloud store) is a PULL... one at a time

I second doing small size batches: Flash storage takes time to write, the DB entry needs to be processed. Too much, Too fast, just make a chance to choke
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #127
chobe2
chobe2 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I have Calibre on my iMac and connect to that Calibre server via wireless. I generally download in batches of either 500 or 1000. If you are using Dropbox, then it's quite likely you have networking delays. I do have fast wifi at home.

I back Calibre up to Dropbox, but I don't use Dropbox to download from.
Thank you so much for the reply. Are you downloading from CC or transferring from Calibre. I've never seen an option to download batches of books from CC. How are you doing it?
chobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #128
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hey Everyone,
I've been dealing with a little snag from apple updating the app to the new program license and now I can't push an update until thats finished. The update will fix the author sorting bug and make the app how it used to be. We are working on getting everything fixed. We had to let someone go after that last incident so I've been scrambling to get them replaced. Sorry I'm not always here to respond to everyone.
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #129
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobe2 View Post
Thank you so much for the reply. Are you downloading from CC or transferring from Calibre. I've never seen an option to download batches of books from CC. How are you doing it?
What theducks said. I connect wirelessly via CC, then push them from Calibre in batches. It's a bit of a pain because you have to be at your computer but it's faster. You do have to be careful about mixing sending from Calibre and downloading in CC. It can mix the metadata in CC up a bit.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #130
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
It seems my problems logging into Dropbox were caused by a content blocker. I’ve sorted that out now, so CC now works for me as before.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote