Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #16801
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
If you use EBates/Rakuten with Kobo, the rebate is 10% for today (Monday) only.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #16802
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sorry, wrong thread...
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #16803
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Walmart is showing a $50 ebook gift card for $40, a nice 20% discount. (It also claims the regular price is $65. I guess they think readers are innumerate.) I'm considering it, but I do wonder if that means I'd have to create a Walmart login for Kobo; I've still been using my Rakuten login. This also could combine nicely with the Ebates kickback.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-e...ery/390016306?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #16804
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Please let us know if you figure it out about the Walmart login vs the Rakuten login! I too have continued to use my Rakuten login, and am not quite sure what would happen if I switched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Walmart is showing a $50 ebook gift card for $40, a nice 20% discount. (It also claims the regular price is $65. I guess they think readers are innumerate.) I'm considering it, but I do wonder if that means I'd have to create a Walmart login for Kobo; I've still been using my Rakuten login. This also could combine nicely with the Ebates kickback.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #16805
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I guess they think readers are innumerate.
They are, hence the excellent 1988 book Innumeracy, but it's not their fault.

The following NYT article is well worth reading in its entirety, but especially applicable is the discussion of the A&W 1/3 pounder vs the McDonalds 1/4 pounder. The really sad part is how tenaciously this is locked into the system and the culture.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/m...math.html?_r=0
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #16806
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

So, I decided to go ahead and try the Walmart gift card thing with a single $50 gift card, since I have my husband's rarely used account I could use it on if I had to, without messing mine up .

It all went smoothly, with one exception (see below).

First the good part: I was able to apply the gift card directly to my existing Kobo account, while logged in through Rakuten, not Walmart, just by clicking on the link in the Walmart email, and then entering the PIN from the email. And presto - I refreshed my Kobo account info, looked at the payment info tab, and the credit was there.

During the process, it seemed to indicate that there would also have been an opportunity to sign into Kobo if I weren't already logged in. I don't know how/if that would have worked. I chose to be already logged in using my preferred login before I redeemed the card.

Now, for the one problem: I was charged tax on the gift card order. This is very unusual in California - I have NEVER been charged tax on a gift card, whether a physical gift card bought in person, a physical gift card bought online or an online gift card bought online. It simply makes no sense - you get charged the tax (if any) when the gift card is used to make a purchase.

I tried calling Walmart's help number, but the wait was going to be quite long, so I sent them an email instead. They indicate they try to respond to emails within four hours - we shall see!

It's not a fatal flaw to be charged tax - the gift card is still a good deal, just less of a good deal than it could be.

I will update this post if I get more info.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #16807
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you.

No sales tax here, so I should be good to go!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #16808
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
They are, hence the excellent 1988 book Innumeracy, but it's not their fault.

The following NYT article is well worth reading in its entirety, but especially applicable is the discussion of the A&W 1/3 pounder vs the McDonalds 1/4 pounder. The really sad part is how tenaciously this is locked into the system and the culture.
Indeed. I see evidence of the hamburger problem even here, alas.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #16809
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Quote:

Use the following address for no taxes: 1380 Wisconsin Ave, Whitefish, MT 59937
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:06 AM   #16810
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
It was Kobo's 10th "birthday" yesterday.

Sad there is no mention of their partnership with Borders on the graphic.

Though I miss the heyday of coupons, I still use them as my primary ebook store. I purchased my first book there in 2010.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #16811
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Thank you @zelda.owns.link!

I did "borrow" your address for a second card (I wanted two) and it worked - no tax charged. I wasn't sure my credit card would go through with the wrong zip code, but it did. (Which is sort of scary, actually...) And I've now deleted your address out of my account, so you won't get any surprise packages down the road . And since gift cards are not supposed to be taxed in California, I don't feel bad about it.

Meanwhile, Walmart is refusing to even consider that they might have made a mistake in taxing the first gift card. The customer service folks I've emailed with don't understand what I'm complaining about, even when I'm blunt in saying that they misclassified this item as taxable. Instead they keep finding their "script" that tells me how to enter my tax-exempt info if I'm a tax-exempt reseller. And I'm pretty sure it's not worth my time to try to follow up on it any further by calling, and the cards still represent a nice discount.

So many thanks again - at least this way I only paid "half the tax" in error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda.owns.link View Post
Use the following address for no taxes: 1380 Wisconsin Ave, Whitefish, MT 59937

Last edited by sufue; 12-10-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #16812
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Oh, and BTW, did anyone else notice that Walmart gives the list price of the $50 gift card as $65 ??? It's the little lined out value next to the $40 price. I'll try to attach a pic, but I'm not very good at that.

That's a pretty cute trick, especially if they calculate percentage-off from that !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walmart scratch.PNG
Views:	162
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	175511  
Old 12-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #16813
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Oh, and BTW, did anyone else notice that Walmart gives the list price of the $50 gift card as $65 ??? It's the little lined out value next to the $40 price. I'll try to attach a pic, but I'm not very good at that.

That's a pretty cute trick, especially if they calculate percentage-off from that !!!
I mentioned it in my first post about the gift card.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #16814
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Oops, sorry!

Quote:
I mentioned it in my first post about the gift card.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #16815
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Thank you @zelda.owns.link!
I borrowed that address from a random hotel in Montana, I'm actually in Canada!
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals