Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #31
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
used the desktop and it downloaded and installed the update. can I revert? thanks.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
used the desktop and it downloaded and installed the update. can I revert? thanks.
Is it the latest update, 4.19?

I've never reverted, but I'm guessing it can be done the same way as the manual update, if you only go back a version. Just download and install the earlier firmware. You can do this by extracting the contents of the firmware zip into the .kobo folder and ejecting.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #33
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Is it the latest update, 4.19?

I've never reverted, but I'm guessing it can be done the same way as the manual update, if you only go back a version. Just download and install the earlier firmware. You can do this by extracting the contents of the firmware zip into the .kobo folder and ejecting.
thankfully, no. it is 4.18.13737. even the desktop forced the update. I connected and setup a fake reg on the device. nothing more I could do.

eta: affiliate is kobo so I left it alone for now
Old 12-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
thankfully, no. it is 4.18.13737. even the desktop forced the update. I connected and setup a fake reg on the device. nothing more I could do.
No problem then. There are patches for that.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
that would be lovely, thank you.
Here is a link to my source directory for 4.18. It includes my better english hyphenation dictionary replacement. It's the one I use.

The first link is for my source directory and the second link is for the full patch system. Uncompress the full patches and then uncompress my source directory in place of the original source directory. And you'll need to download the firmware file for 4.18 after you have it installed. You'll have to do it manually.

my source directory -> https://we.tl/t-fT5fgue40u

Full patch zip -> https://we.tl/t-57WKNbS2q6
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #36
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
No problem then. There are patches for that.

wow. I really like the device if I can get rid of the kobo stuff, store prompts, etc. lighting is great, nice size, lightweight. so many things to like.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #37
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is a link to my source directory for 4.18. It includes my better english hyphenation dictionary replacement. It's the one I use.

The first link is for my source directory and the second link is for the full patch system. Uncompress the full patches and then uncompress my source directory in place of the original source directory. And you'll need to download the firmware file for 4.18 after you have it installed. You'll have to do it manually.

my source directory -> https://we.tl/t-fT5fgue40u

Full patch zip -> https://we.tl/t-57WKNbS2q6
thank you so much! I have a French to English dictionary I need to load for a series I read and reread. is it hard to do that? I know there are naming conventions, but unsure if Calibre will handle that.

I'm glazing over a bit reading your instructions but will try to figure it out. I'll be back when I have questions. my first question is: if I am on 4.18 why do I need to download it and where - this link?

url not working... *eye roll*

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-11-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #38
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

@JSWolf - not sure why but it said the transfers had expired when I tried to grab it. sorry.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
@JSWolf - not sure why but it said the transfers had expired when I tried to grab it. sorry.
When I click the link, I do get the blue download button. They expire in 7 days.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #40
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I click the link, I do get the blue download button. They expire in 7 days.
how weird, I got the expired message on both

to clarify, the download can be clicked but then I get the messages
Old 12-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #41
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

@JSWolf I've tried for 30 minutes to send an image of what I see when I click your links, but dropbox isn't cooperating and the forum insists that I use a url. the image is on my pc and on dropbox so no help.

it says, after clicking the download, "Transfer expired

Dang, looks like your transfer has already expired.
Doesn’t seem right? Find out more" then offers a button to send a file

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-11-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
You must not connect to wifi at all, if you want it not to update. Not even once. I think you can use the Kobo Desktop software for registration without connecting to the internet.
I think this is a bit much. Connect to the Wi-Fi. Register the device. Let it update. Use it to see what you do and don't want. By the time you're ready to patch, the patches for the new firmware will be out.

Using unpatched firmware, you might as well use newer over older.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #43
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think this is a bit much. Connect to the Wi-Fi. Register the device. Let it update. Use it to see what you do and don't want. By the time you're ready to patch, the patches for the new firmware will be out.

Using unpatched firmware, you might as well use newer over older.
already done over an hour ago, though against my will tbh. it is forced now whether you use desktop or device and I loathe that.

and I'm ready to patch now but can't get to the patches.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #44
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

eta: affiliate is kobo so I left it alone for now
I don't know if this works when you connect it to the desktop app (but it definitely works when connecting by wifi), but if you change the affiliate name to a non-existing affiliate (like nobody or hfhfkdj), the firmware update check will always fail, essentially disabling automatic updates and allowing you to control when it gets to update (which is probably safer to do than using the patch that's supposed to do the same thing).

And I think you're like me who values privacy, so if you didn't know, you can also implement hosts file blocking to block it from talking to Google Analytics and even the Kobo servers if you want (say for example, you only wanted to use Pocket or Dropbox but not the Kobo store, or just run an SSH server, etc.).

Someone discovered a commented-out hosts file in an older firmware version that listed a bunch of Google Analytics domains, and in 2018, someone ran Wireshark to see what kind of traffic went out over TCP (but they didn't test Pocket and Dropbox functionality, so someone would need to update the list to block stuff like that too if people wanted that).

Anyway, here's the hosts entries I use. I would suggest adding them to one of the many adblock/malware/anti-tracker hosts files you can find on the internet.

Spoiler:
Code:
#[Kobo]

## Google Analytics
0.0.0.0 adwords.google.com
0.0.0.0 pagead.googlesyndication.com
0.0.0.0 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
0.0.0.0 adservices.google.com
0.0.0.0 imageads.googleadservices.com
0.0.0.0 imageads1.googleadservices.com
0.0.0.0 www.googleadservices.com
0.0.0.0 apps5.oingo.com
0.0.0.0 www.google-analytics.com
0.0.0.0 ssl.google-analytics.com
0.0.0.0 google-analytics.com
0.0.0.0 kona.kontera.com
0.0.0.0 infolinks.com
0.0.0.0 online-oas.affinitygroup.com
0.0.0.0 ad.doubleclick.net
0.0.0.0 ssl.google-analytics.com
0.0.0.0 google-analytics.com 
0.0.0.0 stats.g.doubleclick.net

## Kobo Store Related
0.0.0.0 kobo.com www.kobo.com
0.0.0.0 kobobooks.com 
0.0.0.0 mobile.kobobooks.com 
0.0.0.0 www.kobobooks.com 
0.0.0.0 dev.kobobooks.com
0.0.0.0 partner.dev.kobobooks.com
0.0.0.0 ecimages.kobobooks.com 
0.0.0.0 images.kobobooks.com
0.0.0.0 api.ipinfodb.com
0.0.0.0 api.kobobooks.com
0.0.0.0 auth.kobobooks.com
0.0.0.0 authorize.kobo.com
0.0.0.0 kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net
0.0.0.0 kbimages1-a.akamaihd.net
0.0.0.0 mobile.kobobooks.com
0.0.0.0 social.kobobooks.com
0.0.0.0 storeapi.kobo.com
0.0.0.0 vars.hotjar.com
0.0.0.0 script.hotjar.com
0.0.0.0 static.hotjar.com

## Other Misc/Third-Party URLs
0.0.0.0 www.msftnci.com
0.0.0.0 www.google.com
0.0.0.0 www.google.fr
0.0.0.0 www.googletagmanager.com

# USED TO SYNC THE CLOCK OVER WIFI; DELETE THIS ENTRY IF YOU USE IT
0.0.0.0 pool.ntp.org

You can use kobopatch to flash it to /etc/hosts along with all the other patches you may use (look at the bottom of the kobopatch.yaml file for examples on how to do so).

But again, it'd be nice if someone could run Wireshark on a stock newer firmware version and trying the various other services like Overdrive and Pocket so the list could be updated. Any volunteers?

Last edited by rtiangha; 12-14-2019 at 05:35 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #45
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
And I think you're like me who values privacy, so if you didn't know, you can also implement hosts file blocking to block it from talking to Google Analytics and even the Kobo servers if you want (say for example, you only wanted to use Pocket or Dropbox but not the Kobo store, or just run an SSH server, etc.).
thank you! I don't know how to do any of this and, yes, I am like you. would it hurt to delete the Kobo file Analytics.conf?

I managed to get into my hosts file and set some things up. getting it to the Clara is another thing.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-11-2019 at 05:58 PM.