Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
wintertrader
wintertrader began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle3
Kindle 3 battery replacement

I read I think on Amazon kindle reviews that when you send in your Kindle 3 for battery replacement , they won't send you back your own unit but a different one.
Does someone know if it is true ?
I asked the question a few days ago from Amazon CS and this is the response I got. I felt that they have not responded to my question so i did a follow up on that to get a precise answer.

AMAZON answer:
"Hello,

We learned from the first generation Kindle that changing the battery was rarely needed, so Kindle's battery is not replaceable by users. And our kindle 2nd and 3rd generations comes with an inbuilt battery which can't be removed separately from the device.

If you face any problem with the Kindle battery, we ask you to return the defective Kindle so that we would send you a new Kindle of the same model.

Kindle comes with a One-Year Limited Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship under ordinary use.

You can read the full text about Kindle's warranty here:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlewarranty

I hope this helps. We hope to see you again soon.
..."

Last edited by wintertrader; 09-04-2010 at 02:02 PM.
wintertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
So basically Amazon are saying they will send you a new Kindle out - sounds better than just getting a battery replacement to me!

But, honestly, I've never read of anyone who's ever needed a battery to be replaced. I would have thought you'd have long replaced your Kindle with a new model before you'd need a new battery anyway.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Kindle 2 batteries are available with video instructions - Kindle 3 can't be far behind. I did replace my K1's battery recently (or rather my wife did), so the batteries do wear out given enough time/use.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
wintertrader
wintertrader began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
So basically Amazon are saying they will send you a new Kindle out - sounds better than just getting a battery replacement to me!

But, honestly, I've never read of anyone who's ever needed a battery to be replaced. I would have thought you'd have long replaced your Kindle with a new model before you'd need a new battery anyway.
If it is defective they will send you a new one, based on what they say. But if it is not defective and only needs replacement due to normal wear will they send you back your own unit ? Or a different one. It is not clear ...is it ?

On a different note, I love my Kindle.

Last edited by wintertrader; 09-04-2010 at 05:12 PM.
wintertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
If my battery fails in the next three years, it will be replaced for me via my SquareTrade warranty. NO deductible. Thirty bucks for the warranty (including accidental drops and spills, less an easily-obtainable coupon). If Amazon at that point decides to send me a refurb with no screen blemishes or new unit - I could care less.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
Kindle 2 batteries are available with video instructions - Kindle 3 can't be far behind. I did replace my K1's battery recently (or rather my wife did), so the batteries do wear out given enough time/use.
Judging by the K3 teardown video that was posted in the last day or two changing the battery on a 3 would be much more difficult. I think the K2 back could be slid open with the aid of a shim. The K3 has a bunch of clips including a pair in the middle of the back that have to be "massaged."
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote