Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Are these Glitches ???

Pocket Pro
Latest Astak Firmware

Starting to finally use my Pocket Pro.

1) So, I checked what books are on the included SD card...cool.
But when I switched to my 4GB card, the Menu screen remained with the 2gb included SD list...I even switched to Internal Memory and back to SD thinking it would refresh.... nope.

I had to turn the unit off..thus losing my clock settings, and turn back on.

So... must you turn the Unit completely off (instead of Lock) every time you switch memory card? and lose the clock each time?

Is that normal? and is there a work around?

2) I loaded GK Chesterton : Everlasting Man in EPUB. This book relies Heavily on the TOC online because of the enormity of the book. But when I start it on my PP...there is NO TOC ? Did everything I could think, but there is NO TOC, no hyperlink index etc.....

What's happening? I thought epub format natively displayed with a TOC page?

3) Loaded Murray's With Christ in the School of Prayer EPUB -- hour glass comes up, and when it stops it's still on the PP menu page. No error listed, but doesn't start the book when you hit the book number.

I loaded the Steven Lake novel "Oort..." - it loads fine (no chapter links or anything?)

Maybe i'm expecting things that aren't functions??

PS*** Maybe I should be asking, is there a format that natively HAS a hyperlink TOC included?

Last edited by cancelx; 04-19-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: better way to ask...
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
2) I loaded GK Chesterton : Everlasting Man in EPUB. This book relies Heavily on the TOC online because of the enormity of the book. But when I start it on my PP...there is NO TOC ? Did everything I could think, but there is NO TOC, no hyperlink index etc.....

What's happening? I thought epub made the TOC if not present -- and it should have been present anyway.
The ePub format has good support for (multi-level) TOC, but the "publisher" has to build the TOC. On the PP, this is the 7 key in an ePub. You are in luck, because there is now an ePub version here produced by weatherwax, see Chesterton, G.K.: The Everlasting Man V 1.0 18 April 2010. The TOC on this version works on my PP. If you think it needs more detail, then add a comment in that thread. There are also MOBI and LIT versions by Patricia. The MOBI has an "internal" TOC made up of hyperlinks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
wallcraft.... it is weatherwax's one i was using.....

THANK YOU -- didn't realize to hit #7 first... duh... there's the TOC.

---ps-- mobi has internal TOC.. is this common to all mobi? thanks again.

Last edited by cancelx; 04-20-2010 at 12:10 AM.
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
mobi has internal TOC.. is this common to all mobi?
The original MobiPocket format did not have an external TOC capability, so many early PRC ebooks used an internal TOC based on hyperlinks near the start of the ebook. Modern MobiPocket (can be .mobi or .prc) has an external TOC capability, but sometimes the publisher will still use an internal hyperlink TOC (or both an internal and an external TOC).

It is still up to the publisher to create the TOC, and some don't do so. For DRM-free ebooks, it is sometimes possible for Calibre to build a TOC for you. This is based on detecting something unique about chapter headings. The problem is that different publishers do different things at the start of a chapter. If you know what the publisher is doing, Calibre can definitely be configured to build a TOC for you.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lightbulb Tip

Quote:
Pocket Pro
Latest Astak Firmware

1) So, I checked what books are on the included SD card...cool.
But when I switched to my 4GB card, the Menu screen remained with the 2gb included SD list...I even switched to Internal Memory and back to SD thinking it would refresh.... nope.

I had to turn the unit off..thus losing my clock settings, and turn back on.

So... must you turn the Unit completely off (instead of Lock) every time you switch memory card? and lose the clock each time?
Next time you switch SD cards, Try this to keep your clock setting.
At the bookshelf
Menu
Arrang files by <your choice> (even if it was that way)
It forces a refresh of the list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Next time you switch SD cards, Try this to keep your clock setting.
At the bookshelf
Menu
Arrang files by <your choice> (even if it was that way)
It forces a refresh of the list
Good tip. Also do your changing with the unit powered up and running. Removing the card should cause the unit to switch to the internal memory and then adding the new card will cause it to switch back. This should refresh the content.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote