Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Germany gets the Sony Reader on March 11th, 2009

E-book addicts in Germany, rejoice! The Sony Reader is coming to your town. More specifically, the Sony PRS-505 -- along with a "great" choice of e-books in ePub format -- is going to be available at Libri.de and in plenty of Thalia bookstores on March 11th, 2009. Price: EUR 299,00.

Preorder: here or here

Link to the press release: here
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Das ist eine ausgezeichnete Neuigkeit!

(Or should that be "Die ist"....?)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Could someone please say what are all of the countries where the Sony Readers will be sold as of that date in addition to the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, and Germany?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Could someone please say what are all of the countries where the Sony Readers will be sold as of that date in addition to the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, and Germany?
also France, starting last autumn.

great news for Germany ! it's about time.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
also France, starting last autumn.

great news for Germany ! it's about time.
Wow, you mean someone in France has one?

Yes, it's excellent news for Germany. I'm hoping it will soon become widespread. Has it been or will it soon be released anywhere else?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Wow, you mean someone in France has one?

Yes, it's excellent news for Germany. I'm hoping it will soon become widespread. Has it been or will it soon be released anywhere else?
I would image that it would be rolled out in countries like Spain soon, but I suppose they need to arrange local deals with book stores, eBook distributers, etc, before they can do that. In every European country that it's so far been released in, it's being sold primarily via large chains of bookstores.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure when it will be released elsewhere in Europe (like Switzerland for example, which is at least 1/3 German-speaking), but what I am curious about is whether I will entitled to purchase e-books from Librie.de using a Sony reader from the US.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Not sure when it will be released elsewhere in Europe (like Switzerland for example, which is at least 1/3 German-speaking), but what I am curious about is whether I will entitled to purchase e-books from Librie.de using a Sony reader from the US.
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. Anyone can buy books from Waterstones, for example, who are Sony's UK "partner" - it's not a "locked down" store like the Sony eBook store is. Is the situation similar in France, Zelda?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I imagine so. Sony's partner in France is the Fnac chain / Hachette ; they don't have a very wide selection yet and the website is very basic and needs work from an ergonomic standpoint but i don't think there is any reason to believe that there are restrictions on who can buy books from them.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

From what I heard the German e-book offering for the Sony will also be somewhat limited. I heard the focus lied on "quality" rather than "quantity"...
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I heard the focus lied on "quality" rather than "quantity"...
That's no bad thing, certainly, provided that the range is at least reasonable.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
pozo
pozo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC (UK)
Pretty overpriced though, when compared to 210 euro in the US (without ship/handle to EU) and 255 euro at Waterstones UK (S&H to Netherlands included).
No reason not to buy from Waterstones it seems, you'll get the same EU warranty.

Nice that there will be more support for non-English eBooks though.
pozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I find it quite interesting that Libri's ebookshop is heavily based on the epub format. LRF is not even mentioned!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I find it quite interesting that Libri's ebookshop is heavily based on the epub format. LRF is not even mentioned!
it's the same at the fnac. since they only sell the 505, there is no need for lrf, and i think it's good to get away from proprietary formats and promote the new standard. i'm sure you're all stunned to hear me say that.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
hekkel
Enthusiast
hekkel is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
I imagine so. Sony's partner in France is the Fnac chain / Hachette ; they don't have a very wide selection yet and the website is very basic and needs work from an ergonomic standpoint but i don't think there is any reason to believe that there are restrictions on who can buy books from them.
I can confirm this, I've bought books both from Waterstone's (UK) and from Numilog (France) in ePub format for my Sony which I bought in the US. And I'm living in the Netherlands. Unfortunately we don't have contemporary Dutch literature in ePub format yet, but I've been told that will change soon.

-maarten
hekkel is offline   Reply With Quote