Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
oreski5933
oreski5933 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Formatting cbr comic for ipad

Could someone help me with formatting comics for the ipad? I have tried to format comics in the epub format for my ipad but the comics do not appear readable. The comics only take up half the screen. Is there something in settings that I can adjust? Any assistance is appreciated.
oreski5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreski5933 View Post
Could someone help me with formatting comics for the ipad? I have tried to format comics in the epub format for my ipad but the comics do not appear readable. The comics only take up half the screen. Is there something in settings that I can adjust? Any assistance is appreciated.
Where are you getting them from and what are you using to read them? If they are just .CBR or .CBZ files why not just use one of the multitude of apps that can read them natively like comicflow or manga storm CBR?

I'm guessing your epub issue stems from the fact you aren't making fixed layout epubs since they aren't full screen. What are you using to make the epubs and what are you reading them in?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the ePub forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
oreski5933

They are cbr and I am using the iPad. I used to be able to just access them on the iBooks app. When I format them for iPad they appear all funky.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreski5933 View Post
They are cbr and I am using the iPad. I used to be able to just access them on the iBooks app. When I format them for iPad they appear all funky.
iBooks doesn't support CBR, just epub and PDF.

What are you using to make the epubs though? calibre? Something else? What does "funky" mean? Can you post a screenshot?

Something like comicflow can just read the CBR directly and you can skip conversion completely and save yourself a headache.
Advert
Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
oreski5933

I'm trying to convert cbr to epub. It has worked before. Forgive me I'm not good at the screenshot stuff. Basically the picture itself takes up half the screen. I used the default input option and the output is ipad 3. Are there additional settings I should modify?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
salamanderjuice
Guru

By the picture itself takes up half the screen you mean there is a giant white border and like the name of the comic above it?

It seems like you are using Calibre. Calibre IMO is pretty bad at converting comics to epub. Are you sure you were using epub before and not PDF? PDF works okay.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
oreski5933

It was definitely epub before. There isn't s white border the picture appears smashed so what would be a whole page only takes up half because it is smashed.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru

Try clicking "keep aspect ratio" in comic input.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I do my cbr->epub conversions using Kindle Comic Converter.
Contrary to the name, it targets many devices, not just Kindle.

The home page is https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc and the Mobileread sticky thread is here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=207461

The maintainer (AcidWeb I believe) is active on Mobileread.

Edit: I believe there might even be a Calibre plugin. I don't use Calibre though, so I only have experience with the standalone version.

Last edited by radius; 08-25-2017 at 02:45 PM.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote