Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Need recommendation for PDF compilations

I have a series of technical texts output individually as PDF files that need to be reassembled all in one book that I can then put on my Kindle. Can someone recommend the best tool for me to assemble these separate pdf files into one ebook?
I looked at mobipocket creator, but didn't see a way to read in multiple pdf's into one book. Would appreciate help and recommendations.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I have a series of technical texts output individually as PDF files that need to be reassembled all in one book that I can then put on my Kindle. Can someone recommend the best tool for me to assemble these separate pdf files into one ebook?
I looked at mobipocket creator, but didn't see a way to read in multiple pdf's into one book. Would appreciate help and recommendations.

cheers
There may be something better but I think I have a workaround. I use some free software called cutepdf to make pdf files. Cutepdf allows me to merge multiple pdf files into one big file and save it that way.

In your case you could then import that big pdf into MobiPocket Creator and do your thing. The one issue is that because the software is free, there is a watermark attached to the bottom of each page. The paid $50 version will not have the watermark.

If you want to try it for free to see if it works, go to cutepdf.com. Download:

CutePdf Pro Evaluation
CutePdf Writer and the converter that goes with it.

If you try and need some help, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mergepdf.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	14288  

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-11-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added image
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
There's not a way to do that directly in MobiPocket Creator.

But Mobi Creator works in two stages: the first rips the PDF to HTML, and the second uses the HTML as source to build the Mobi book.

You could stop before the build stage, assemble the individual HTML files into one big one, and then use that as source for Mobi to build from. You would need to do some editing on the HTML for best results, but it should work.

Which tech PDFs are these? I have a number of such things, and how well Mobi deals with them depends on the PDF. Straight one column per page documents are handled fairly well. PDFs with multiple columns or fancy formatting are another matter.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys - These suggestions look like they just might work. I'll give it a try and let you know. I am a little concerned about some of the examples and tables, but I need to get some 45 indivdual pdf segments arranged into four books that I can use as reference. I teach contract bridge on cruise ships and lugging four reference books around in addition to all my student pamphlets and other supplies is getting really old. It's getting so that I can't lift my carryon into the overhead.

cheers
Old 07-12-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
For PDF to PDF conversions, try PDFtk.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Leep
Guru

My stumbling block became the cute little dingbat fonts representing the card suits (and a few of the tables). Of course, these do not translate into readable text in Kindle's one font.

The good news is that "CutePDFPro" and PDFtk do the task of getting my many segments assembled into books. (I used Cute PDFPro because it really is so simple for this task). Since I always have to carry my laptop anyway, I just have to use Adobe reader to read my reference material. It's unlikely that I'll get ambitious enough to change the dingbat fonts throughout, so no Kindle book for now.

Thanks again for your help and input -

cheers

Tags
ebook creation, kindle, pdf