Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-19-2015, 01:29 AM   #1
jhparizona
jhparizona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4th gen
Calibre exclude format conversion when adding books

I have gone through the preferences and plugins several times as well as searching the Internet and forums without finding an answer to this question. It may be that Calibre can not do this at this time.

When adding books to library, I want to be able to exclude reformatting AZW3 to MOBI. I have the preference set to automatically convert books to default output which is MOBI. I import quite a few EPUB, MOBI, and AZW3 files and have turned on the auto conversion to remove the conversion step post importation. But it also converts AZW3 files which my kindle can read and makes no sense to convert to MOBI.

If Calibre is not capable of excluding formats from the auto conversion feature at this time, can someone point me to the correct place for feature requests for Calibre.

Thanks, jim
jhparizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhparizona View Post

When adding books to library, I want to be able to exclude reformatting AZW3 to MOBI. I have the preference set to automatically convert books to default output which is MOBI. ..
Thanks, jim
it is that preference which you have set that is causing auto convert on import. either turn it off or change it from MOBI to AZW.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2015, 03:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
jhparizona

Not really helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it is that preference which you have set that is causing auto convert on import. either turn it off or change it from MOBI to AZW.
Thanks, but I am aware that is an option and the reason I posted that I had that option turned on and the reasons why I wanted to leave it on. If Calibre can not allow for the exclusion of formats when auto converting, just let me know and point me to where I can make that a feature request.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given that AZW3 is a "richer" format than Mobi, if you do auto-conversion, could you not solve all your problems by setting AWZ3 as your auto-convert format, rather than Mobi? As things stand, when you convert ePub to Mobi, you're throwing away a lot of formatting information that's in the book, whereas ePub to AZW3 is (pretty much) lossless.

If you have a Kindle, it makes a lot more sense to use AZW3 as your default format, and not Mobi.
Advert
Old 04-19-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No, you cannot exclude formats from being auto-converted.

The page http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs tells you how to request features.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that AZW3 is a "richer" format than Mobi, if you do auto-conversion, could you not solve all your problems by setting AWZ3 as your auto-convert format, rather than Mobi? As things stand, when you convert ePub to Mobi, you're throwing away a lot of formatting information that's in the book, whereas ePub to AZW3 is (pretty much) lossless.

If you have a Kindle, it makes a lot more sense to use AZW3 as your default format, and not Mobi.
i was just about to post that suggestion , but you got there first

I am not a fan of the "auto convert when add books" option. I just added a few game guide PDFs, forgetting that I had left that option ticked after testing it for some other thread, , & calibre launched a bunch of long + unwanted pdf to epub conversions.

I wonder also how if it plays nice with other auto options, is there a risk of add + auto convert + merge duplicates leading to an overwrite of an existing book, or does auto convert look ahead & conclude " no need to do that one, the target format already exists ? "
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When a book has both mobi and azw3 formats, you can tell calibre to automatically send the azw3 in preference to the mobi when sending books to the kindle by right clicking the kindle icon in calibre and choosing customize this device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
jhparizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Thanks, for some reason, 2 years ago or so, I had read somewhere that Mobi was the preferred format. Maybe it was that it was readable on other devices, I do not remember. Researching this question, I found what you said to be true and have switched to AZW3 as the default format.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
jhparizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
No, you cannot exclude formats from being auto-converted.

The page http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs tells you how to request features.
Thanks, although some have valid reasons for not using the auto convert feature, I am going to request this a feature request. Progmatically not a big change.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhparizona View Post
Thanks, for some reason, 2 years ago or so, I had read somewhere that Mobi was the preferred format. Maybe it was that it was readable on other devices, I do not remember. Researching this question, I found what you said to be true and have switched to AZW3 as the default format.
2 years ago that may have been true (for the majority of existing. models)
A lot of new Kindle models have been made since that time
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Only reason to use Mobi is if you intend to email the file to your Kindle. You can't email AZW3 files.

Tags
auto conversion, azw, calibre, mobi