Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
md02439
Enthusiast
md02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheese

Device: M92 black
Suggestion: taskbar with two lines of tools

Since in my experience there is always some free space at the bottom of the pages after adjusting the margins, wouldn't it make sense to make the taskbar occupy two lines, as to fit more tools?

Dimitris
md02439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
axiomize
axiomize began at the beginning.

Device: onyx m92
I guess that this depends on the text you are reading. I usually have space on the margins...

I'd favour a customizable toolbar!

Martin
axiomize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by md02439 View Post
Since in my experience there is always some free space at the bottom of the pages after adjusting the margins, wouldn't it make sense to make the taskbar occupy two lines, as to fit more tools?

Dimitris
I agree.
Seems like customizable toolbar is difficult to realize but there should be no problem in implementing 2 lines. Onyx is a large pdf reader, i wouldn't mind one extra line and it will be of great convenience too.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
IMO the graphical representation of the location in the book is pure waste of precious screen: with more pages it is not exact exnough and with few pages it is way to big.
Replacing this bar with a numerical display (e.g. 45/234) that turns into an entry field when clicked, but therefore getting three, four or five customizable buttons, would be a big improvement.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
@Defenderland: I can't fully agree with you. I actually like the visual "location" feedback. A big drawback of ebooks is their lack of haptic feedback contrary to physical books, where you can "feel" where in the book you are. The progress/location bar yields at least a visual replacement for this "vintage style feature". Yet, I get your point about a more easily accessible numerical entry field...
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
IMO the graphical representation of the location in the book is pure waste of precious screen: with more pages it is not exact exnough and with few pages it is way to big.
Replacing this bar with a numerical display (e.g. 45/234) that turns into an entry field when clicked, but therefore getting three, four or five customizable buttons, would be a big improvement.
I was going to write the same thing I don't use graphical representation at all. At the most i wish that its length should be decreased and few imp tools such as dictionary icon should have permanent place in all 3 toolbar modes.

And With Multitasking there now, i wish that an opened task should have a icon below just like we have in windows.There could be four empty spaces for four tasks ...first space filled by that task which is opened first, 2nd space by second task and so on. We will keep making demands
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Tuxor,
a visual feed back would be there with the numerical display anyway.

Do you read scientific books? Then you all the time need to jump around (TOC, references, graphs).

A permanent UNDO button and a few direct access bookmarks to jump quickly to TOC, index or references, would be MUCH more useful than this display IMO.

EDIT: user defineable permanent and variable buttons would be the best, ofcourse. But the current solution IMO is the worst of all.

Last edited by Defenderland; 05-10-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
md02439
Enthusiast
md02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheese

Device: M92 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
IMO the graphical representation of the location in the book is pure waste of precious screen: with more pages it is not exact exnough and with few pages it is way to big...
In this aspect my old DR1000 had a wonderful implementation: it displayed the current page and the three preceding & following pages as little boxes (displaying the respective page number) on the the pages bar. That way you could quickly browse a few pages forward or backward.
As always a picture is worth a thousand words:

Dimitris

Last edited by md02439; 05-10-2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: bad phrasing
md02439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Though it looks quite old-fashioned, I like the DR1000's interface. I would love to have a full-width (ideally customizable) toolbar just like Defenderland proposes. In addition, there should be an option to add a line above that toolbar just like with the DR1000. That solution seems very sensible to me.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Kalari
Kalari began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, Onyx Boox M92
Why not move the graphical representation above the toolbar? And make it much thinner, so it separates the toolbar from the text itself. This way you have the whole width of the screen available for both the progress bar and the toolbar.

Edit: Just now noticed Coolreader already has a "status line" that is very similar.

Last edited by Kalari; 05-11-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Kalari is offline   Reply With Quote