Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
rupa
rupa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iphone
calibre, apache, mod_python content server

Hi all, first post here (sorry if in wrong place etc posting here cause this project uses calibre tools)

So I wrote a simple web application designed to allow getting, converting formats, and downloading ebooks to your device(s). It's designed to work well with iphone and kindle (the two devices I have) using their built-in web access, and it uses just the command line tools ebook-convert and ebook-meta to do conversions.

The calibre webserver doesnt expose write/convert stuff, which is why i started writing it, and anyway, it's working pretty well and I wanted to invite anyone interested to check it out, and give me some ideas of how to improve it.

Also, I wanted to keep the html/css/js minimal and simple so it would work well with crappy device browsers.

Anyway, I've been using this thing for a while and it works pretty well and I find it quite useful so I'd like to share

Caveats:

1) this is meant to run under apache with mod_python, which is a bit fiddly to get working if you don't already know how. I'm willing to help with set up issues if anyone wants me to though - so I can try to get the documentation better. There's also a few other weird linux things that make this a bit more effort than drag and drop. Bottom line is its a bit more fiddly atm than just dropping a php script somewhere.

2) I have absolutely no idea about running this on windows.

Anyhoo, anyone wants to check it out the code is on github:

https://github.com/rupa/cnv

I'll keep an eye on this thread of course, but feel free to open issues on github for breakage/bugs/confusion or add stuff to the wiki if for example you get it working on windows or something.
rupa is offline   Reply With Quote