Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #16
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Is anyone else feeling like the original Kobo users have been left behind? We've been promised new firmware for weeks now and are just kept being told "soon". Now after 6 months of promising us newspapers they are finally here but are not supported for blackberry. I've been waiting 6 months for support for my blackberry using bluetooth (Curve 8330) and I'm still waiting. I feel a lot of pressure to buy the wireless version or get left behind, but since it's only been 6 months since the original came out I can't rationalize this.
What are your thoughts?
I know, it totally sucks feeling like that. But you guys helped put us on the map, so there's no leaving you behind. We're definitely working the upgrade as we speak.

I guess the big concern is competition and keeping up with the Goliaths of the industry with the handful of people we have. And sometimes yeah some things get prioritized over others.

But the Kobo 2 is now out and we're now working on the next highest priority...
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #17
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I think we need to be patient. They have been focused on the Ko2, but now that is out we should see new firmware soon.

Kobo support has been pretty good to date. They came through for me and many others when issues have occurred and support staff are an active part of this forum. This is far more than I can say regarding Kindle and Sony for instance.
I think that's the problem. Shifting focus. I have no qualms with the support. They've been more then great. I have problems with the business practice and unfulfilled promises.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I would love to have had the update to original Kobo by now. I do try to keep in mind though that since May we have had one major firmware update (1.4). We also have had two desktop updates that solved some of the big issues that people were clamoring for and thought would come through the next firmware/software update, rather than through the desktop. I am talking about the behaviour of the syncing/I'm reading feature and now, the addition of books and magazines.

I guess I understand that it made more sense to build for Kobo WiFi and then adapt for the original (with less speed, a different Db structure) I also know that Kobo was doing both the improvements to the original Kobo and the development of the WiFi simultaneously and that what we are now waiting for is the part that that brings features together given the hardware limitations of the Kobo 1
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I also know that Kobo was doing both the improvements to the original Kobo and the development of the WiFi simultaneously and that what we are now waiting for is the part that that brings features together given the hardware limitations of the Kobo 1
Hm! Kobo 1 has no limitations. Kobo 2 is just too fast. Next update
should slow it down to match normal usage.
In fact, forgetting older device is not smart decision. We are not some
guys with old device. We are customers, who buy books and keep
doing that. Mess with application, let them freeze the reader and all
those early adopters would go somewhere else. Personally, I would
avoid sleep and do all in my might to solve bugs. That is the way I
manage things in my life, not I'm saying vendor has to do the same.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Hm! Kobo 1 has no limitations. Kobo 2 is just too fast. Next update should slow it down to match normal usage.
Seriously? Are you suggesting that Kobo purposely handicap the Kobo Wifi to match the speed of the first Kobo? Why on earth would you want to do that?
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #21
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
Seriously? Are you suggesting that Kobo purposely handicap the Kobo Wifi to match the speed of the first Kobo? Why on earth would you want to do that?
Joke. K, bad one.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
Duiker, were you around for the previous upgrade. Same thing happened, there was talk of an upcoming firmware upgrade and it was confirmed by Kobo that it was happening and then it went really quiet for a while. A few weeks after that, it was confirmed on their blog that the firmware was coming and people should sign up for the beta testing. Then suddenly the firmware appeared on the website (and a post here) and people went and upgraded.

Whilst this is probably not the best way to go, I have a funny feeling that the firmware is probably in heaving testing and bug repair mode (thus kobo silence) and we should see it before christmas.

As for the other issues, I'm guessing Blackberry isn't where they are focussed on with their $$ plan, my guess is that only a small number of people use the app (unfortanetly) and the wide variety of devices makes it hard to support.
Yes, its painfully obvious Blackberry is not their focus and I understand why, but in that case they shouldn't have used it as part of their marketing plan in the original launch.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Supporting Blackberry may mean something different now that they have a new operating system with scads of users still using the older one. I'm assuming they want the application to work on both.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Just to clarify, because a couple of posters seem to be under the wrong impression:

No, you cannot currently get newspapers on the original Kobo. The feature that was added yesterday is not available to first-generation users.

And those of us with the first-gen readers have good reason to be upset. This was promised to us ages ago ... and was promised long before the WiFi version was announced. Originally, it was supposed to be available by the end of May. Then that got put off, and now, Kobo newcomers are getting the first crack, while the rest of us have to wait for a firmware update that is coming ... sometime. No one will say when, just "sometime." And "soon."

In other words ... when they get around to it.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #25
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
I'm of two minds on this one. I enjoy my first gen Kobo ... but am a little miffed that with my purchasing it on the August 1st long weekend ... at it's full price ... it's now considered "old". I mean I know that technology zips along and that basically if you can purchase it, it's obsolete ... but I think that 2 months is a little fast!

That said, my Kobo works fine ... the epub books that I borrow from the library provide me with lots of hours of enjoyment.

Just a note to Kobo though ... I understand that the WiFi Kobo's dictionary only works for books purchased from Kobobooks.com ... and if that's true that would be a deal breaker for me purchasing it. I detest any sort of proprietary thinking ... and feel that I should be able to use a dictionary on any book ... whether purchased or borrowed from the library.

Anyway ... I'm not overly anxious for a new firmware release. I have grown accustomed to the speed [or lack thereof] of "waking up" and page turns ... and I can't say that either bothers me.

Now when I purchased an ereader for my husband, I went with the PRS 650 because it had features that the Kobo lacked ... and the dictionary function is important for Hubby's reading experience. It's much faster ... but then it was $100 more than my original Kobo.

I was kind of hoping that he'd hate it ... and would therefore pass it along to me ... but so far he loves it!

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #26
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Sameer,

can you give us an updated eta for the new firmware for the original KOBO?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 AM   #27
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
No, you cannot currently get newspapers on the original Kobo. The feature that was added yesterday is not available to first-generation users.

And those of us with the first-gen readers have good reason to be upset. This was promised to us ages ago ... and was promised long before the WiFi version was announced. Originally, it was supposed to be available by the end of May. Then that got put off, and now, Kobo newcomers are getting the first crack, while the rest of us have to wait for a firmware update that is coming ...
In fact, it could be possible to have with different approach. Imagine
reader as linux node, as it is. And kobo desktop application as a proxy,
as it is. Add browser to the game. Small footprint bares from something
fancy, but it might be possible. Extending file system to SD card opens
horizon for bigger libraries. Usb adapter should be set as host to be used
for any kind of communication to the outer world. A lot of work for the
result that would not match even the worst netbook.
I stopped to feel myself forgotten. Since I have money in my hand, all
vendors will pay attention to me. Right?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
michael_h
michael_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ebook reader
I'm hoping that a firmware fix will allow newspapers to be viewed on the original Kobo. That ability featured significantly in my decision to buy one originally.
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #29
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Having worked for a few software vendors over the years, I've seen the issue from the inside. Existing customers get short shrift because they don't really bring much money in through the door while the new product development does generate revenue.

But the speed that this marketplace is moving has probably thrown 9/10 of Kobo's business plan from last winter into the dumpster. Who would have dreamed that Kindle would not only meet, but undercut Kobo's $149 price with a device that still has wireless connectivity? That's gotta put some serious pressure on the R&D guys.

On the other hand, you'd have to have had you head buried in the sand up to your waist for the past 30 years to not understand that early adopters ALWAYS take it on the chin in this respect. You pay too much, and the gizmo's obsolete before you know what happened. So suck it up - and I say that as one of them. I bought mine on the 2nd day they were on sale.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Having worked for a few software vendors over the years, I've seen the issue from the inside. Existing customers get short shrift because they don't really bring much money in through the door while the new product development does generate revenue.

But the speed that this marketplace is moving has probably thrown 9/10 of Kobo's business plan from last winter into the dumpster. Who would have dreamed that Kindle would not only meet, but undercut Kobo's $149 price with a device that still has wireless connectivity? That's gotta put some serious pressure on the R&D guys.

On the other hand, you'd have to have had you head buried in the sand up to your waist for the past 30 years to not understand that early adopters ALWAYS take it on the chin in this respect. You pay too much, and the gizmo's obsolete before you know what happened. So suck it up - and I say that as one of them. I bought mine on the 2nd day they were on sale.
Suck it up? That's your best advice?
I understand that early adopters take it on the chin, it's just that most early adopters get the device they were told they were buying, not something that can't perform as advertised. Not even Apple would have the nerve to release new hardware less then 6 months after the launch of a new device.

Last edited by Duiker; 10-29-2010 at 10:27 AM.