Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
If I can't eject my Kindle, what does it mean? (Also, new books not showing up)

I transferred some books to my Kindle from Calibre and then when I tried ejecting the device it said "the device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." (I did close the Kindle's folder, and also closed down Calibre.)

I ended up shutting down the computer and unplugging the Kindle, but now the new books that I transferred aren't showing up. Could I have interrupted them mid-transfer? I did give it a few minutes, and they showed up in the Kindle folder, so I thought they were there okay.

Now when I look at the Kindle folder on the computer, in the "documents" folder I can see all the books I've added. The ones that I've done in Calibre have an author folder with the book inside. The new books are here, (and when I click on them they open up just fine in Kindle for PC) but they aren't showing up on the Kindle. Any idea what's up?

And now I can't eject it again.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Every time I haven't been able to eject my Kindle on my Mac, it's ended up being some sort of corrupted filesystem issue where I had to boot from another partition and run the Disk Utility to fix it (or on one occasion, back up the disk and wipe and reinstall the OS).

So perhaps you might want to run whatever system-checking utilities you have on Windows, just in case.

As for new books not showing up, I've heard that sometimes rebooting one's Kindle helps with that.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
I transferred some books to my Kindle from Calibre and then when I tried ejecting the device it said "the device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." (I did close the Kindle's folder, and also closed down Calibre.)
I ended up shutting down the computer and unplugging the Kindle, but now the new books that I transferred aren't showing up. Could I have interrupted them mid-transfer? I did give it a few minutes, and they showed up in the Kindle folder, so I thought they were there okay.
Now when I look at the Kindle folder on the computer, in the "documents" folder I can see all the books I've added. The ones that I've done in Calibre have an author folder with the book inside. The new books are here, (and when I click on them they open up just fine in Kindle for PC) but they aren't showing up on the Kindle. Any idea what's up?
And now I can't eject it again.
What operating system do you use? Anyway, seems that you have to wait a
bit for something to finish. All processes that read/write/index from/to reader
would complain. For unix, you have to explicitly umount the device. Regarding
how many books you transferred, let some time to pass for indexing sake.
I'm not sure for windows, but process manager might help. Try to find the
process up and running when you think it's down. Garbage collection is the
other point of failure that comes to mind. Last, computer memory that fails
could give you all kinds of complains and errors.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
While I can't recall it, there is a refresh key combination that will "re-read" the kindle's books. Maybe this will trigger someone else posting the combo.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Another option is that usb adapter has no sufficient power. Adapters
on the front are known to be like that. Try out one on the back.
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I posted this issue in the Calibre form on this site a week ago, as it definitely seems to be linked with using Calibre and a K3 on my Mac - it just will not eject after transfer, saying that the application is still in use.

I'm sorry, but I got no replies to my post.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
I think you should try to use your OS eject in stead of Calibre eject !
So in your explorer/filemanager/whatever, right click your Kindle and choose eject.
I've no problems if I use Windows Vista "eject " ( NOT the USB savely remote ... )
Calibre "Eject Device" dosn't work for me either.
Hope this helps,
Cheers
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
zoran
himself

Mac is unix. So, after closing Calibre down, umount /dev/whatever
should be fine. If it complains about something using it, try to see
it in "top". Or "ps auxc | grep <username>".
Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Kindle uses FAT file system, and if you just so happen to unplug it while a write is in progress or you use a really long/underpowered USB cable, the system will mess up and the system will have a heart attack. This will also damage the filesystem. If that is the case, repair the directory structure, and you should be good to go. You could try deleting everything (some files are marked hidden flag -msdos) or formatting the disk (shouldn't hurt it, not sure, firmware is probably stored on another partition/hidden partition)

On windows, right click the drive, go to properties, tools, error checking
In linux/mac you use fsck.vfat (dosfsck) and the partition path

Last edited by curstpriest; 10-11-2010 at 05:01 AM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Well, for some reason it decided to let me eject, and then I ended up deleting and re-loading the new files, and that seemed to do it. Still not sure what the problem was!

Thanks, everybody!
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You need to not be "in" the Kindle directory, or that will count as the directory being busy. So, if you were displaying the files, it could tie up some process as using those files.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Sometimes this happens to me and there's after I've closed every thing and there's nothing open that would possibly be keeping the Kindle from ejecting, but I still get this message so I just pull the cord anyway. Sometimes your PC just gets confused. (That's a technical term. I'm a career IT guy. For several decades.)
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Okay......I"m sure everyone here realizes this but I"m going to post it "just in case" Ejecting the K3 is different for different systems....here is the info from your users guide....

"To eject Kindle from your computer, follow these steps:
•Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click on the Start button, select "Computer" from the options, right-click on the Kindle drive icon and select "Eject" from the pop-up menu.
•Windows XP: Click on the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the lower right-hand corner of the task bar and follow the on-screen instructions to eject Kindle.
•Mac OS X: Ctrl-click on the Kindle device icon and choose "Eject.""
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote