Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'd go for Kobo. Sorry, the kindle is too small...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #17
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I didn't realize the Kobo users had to hang out on a Kindle forum. I wonder why?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I didn't realize the Kobo users had to hang out on a Kindle forum. I wonder why?
If JSWolf is also a "cat person" we might have a clue.
Pets
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well I just switched to a bigger smart phone. So now, I am undecided. The phone is very nice to read on. At home, I'll use eink, no question. Also for long trips. But quick runs here and there, I might take just the phone.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Yes, it is! And it doesn't play as nicely with Calibre, either.

Quote:
We don't have to, but why shouldn't we?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Some of us own both. Some of us also own tablets. Kobo owners might want to learn about Kindles.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yes, it is! And it doesn't play as nicely with Calibre, either.
In what way? I'm not being argumentative, just curious. My new refurbished PW has been quite friendly to Calibre. It accepts side loaded mobi and AZW3 files from Calibre pretty readily.

With my Lenovo tablet, there was always the problem of WHERE do I load a file to be read? While I was free to load both ePub and kindle formats, I always had an issue with finding the proper folder for the specific app I wanted to use.

With the PW and Calibre, Main Memory is the only place I need to worry about. And I haven't seen any restriction of other functions. But then, I'm willing to admit I'm not a 'power user' of either Calibre or of the Kindle environment, so there may be gaps in my knowledge.

For me, this has been a most refreshing and liberating experience, and I'm converting my ePubs to the AZW3 format where possible. (Some just don't look right, and I'm not willing to do any 'heroics' to reformat, I can still use an android device to read them!)

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 08-16-2017 at 12:19 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
In what way? I'm not being argumentative, just curious. My new refurbished PW has been quite friendly to Calibre. It accepts side loaded mobi and AZW3 files from Calibre pretty readily.
The ease of having Calibre put books into collections on the device is very important to me. It's second on my list of priorities after a large screen.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahhh! Thanks!

Quote:
The ease of having Calibre put books into collections on the device is very important to me. It's second on my list of priorities after a large screen.
I haven't really explored collections, yet.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #25
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I agree that's a nice feature.

The ease of being able simply email books to my device and never connect it to a computer is way up on my list, though. Especially since I can manage my collections from my computer through my Amazon account.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I agree that's a nice feature.

The ease of being able simply email books to my device and never connect it to a computer is way up on my list, though. Especially since I can manage my collections from my computer through my Amazon account.

Shari
Yes, the collections feature is indeed nice. I have only a few collections, though, and I can manage them quite easily manually. For me, the priority number one is page-turn buttons (or sensors, like the Voyage has). A local bookshop near my home has been selling Kobo readers for years. I have often tried them out and thought about buying, but having only a touchscreen for page turning is a dealbreaker for me. The ecosystem isn't really important, I sideload all my books anyway and don't use Amazon servers for storing them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, the collections feature is indeed nice. I have only a few collections, though, and I can manage them quite easily manually. For me, the priority number one is page-turn buttons (or sensors, like the Voyage has). A local bookshop near my home has been selling Kobo readers for years. I have often tried them out and thought about buying, but having only a touchscreen for page turning is a dealbreaker for me. The ecosystem isn't really important, I sideload all my books anyway and don't use Amazon servers for storing them.
Let me guess ...
You haven't followed the development of "Kindle Lazy".

Wireless remote control buttons for the touchscreen only Kindles.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #28
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Let me guess ...
You haven't followed the development of "Kindle Lazy".

Wireless remote control buttons for the touchscreen only Kindles.
OOH! Good idea!

But what I want is "Kindle Glass". Amazon should work with Google to develop a new reading focused wearable device. The remote control could fit in your pocket, though I suspect it would cause people to look nervously at you on the subway and other transportation venues as you turned the page, especially if you are a speed reader.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Somebody other than Google is making those things. *
Add in the habit of talking on a cell phone in public . . . .

You can put a black sack over your head and still be in touch with the world.
And not have to see the reactions of the other subway riders.

- - - -

Springfield, Illinois has subways?
Don't they fill up with snow in the winter?

- - - -

(*) https://www.x.company/glass/
https://www.wired.com/story/google-glass-2-is-here/
https://developers.google.com/glass/

Last edited by knc1; 08-18-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #30
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Somebody other than Google is making those things.
Add in the habit of talking on a cell phone in public . . . .

You can put a black sack over your head and still be in touch with the world.
And not have to see the reactions of the other subway riders.

- - - -

Springfield, Illinois has subways?
Don't they fill up with snow in the winter?
No, subways, but there isn't a Stephen King type dome over Springfield. With the proper documentation, we are allowed to travel some.

Springfield doesn't get much snow, too far south, it mostly gets mud and wind. A delightful winter experience. Though the Orange groves struggle, as do the alligators in the park lagoons.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 08-18-2017 at 09:21 AM.