Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #271
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I completed the first of my sub-challenges last night.

My original goal was to read 3 specific big books: Shogun (1123 pages), Ash (1120 pages) and Lonesome Dove (945 pages), but I revised it to a more general challenge that my 5 longest books should add up to at least 4400 pages - a number I arrived at based on reading those three and adding a couple of 600-pagers.

Last night I finished the last of the original three - Lonesome Dove - and exceeded my target. Hurrah!

(My secret stretch goal is 5000 pages.)

My next book should also complete a sub-challenge, although this one is just an intermediate target in a longer challenge.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #272
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've found I tend to read more Memoirs than biographies, so I just add those to my nonfiction challenge. My nonfiction challenge has been better than I expected so far.

Last edited by Wearever; 08-10-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #273
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm right on target for 150 books this year, well up into my 'stretch' goals. That part is going well. And I've taken steps to control my audio book spending, by spending a chunk at AudibleUK to buy 24 credits. Will bring my per book credit cost way down. Of course, it means I'm actually buying MORE audio books, so it's perhaps not such a great cost savings.

The other goal, of keeping close track of my reading and purchasing here? Not so good. This is always a problem area, and I just don't get around to actually entering in the books. Which leads to forgetting things, making it harder to track against my other goals. Sigh. Well, just have to keep on keeping on, and try harder.
Now on track for 154 books this year. But part of that increase is caused by figuring out that I'd forgotten to enter a couple of books into my list of 'read' books for the year. ARRRGGGHHH. It's nearly impossible to keep track of this in Calibre unless I completely re-work it to track Audible books as well, and that's just a pain. There's a plug-in that's supposed to (sort of) do it, but frankly, I couldn't figure out how the [expletive deleted] thing works.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #274
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'm finally caught up with both book club lists, so now at 2/3 of my goal for this year.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #275
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
War and Peace... should I count it as one book or as three books?

Hi guys, so I'm starting to read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and I'm wondering if I should count it for this challenge as one book (because it's just one title) or as three books (because it has a subdivision in three volumes, each one having a bunch of chapters).

What do you think? How would you count it in this challenge?

Thank you!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #276
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOG View Post
Hi guys, so I'm starting to read War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, and I'm wondering if I should count it for this challenge as one book (because it's just one title) or as three books (because it has a subdivision in three volumes, each one having a bunch of chapters).

Thank you!

One book.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:41 AM   #277
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
One book.
Personally, I'd count it as one book, since that's how it was published. BUT, that being said, it doesn't matter how I would count it -- it's how YOU want to count it. There's no One Right Way here. Challenges are personal. So do what is right for you.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #278
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Personally, I'd count it as one book, since that's how it was published. BUT, that being said, it doesn't matter how I would count it -- it's how YOU want to count it. There's no One Right Way here. Challenges are personal. So do what is right for you.
I completely agree with what CRussel said. It is your personal challenge, and it's how you would count it.

I count a trilogy published in a box set as three books, although bought as a single ebook.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #279
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
I count a trilogy published in a box set as three books, although bought as a single ebook.
I too count a trilogy released together as a single ebook as 3 books. For example, I just (re)read the Last Herald Mage Trilogy from Mercedes Lackey. Bought as a single compilation, but originally published as three separate books. Counted as three in my annual challenge.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #280
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, I count omnibuses separately, too. Mainly because I'm likely to read them that way, with long gaps in between each volume. In the case of War and Peace, though, I'm not aware of it ever being split up, so personally I'd record it as one book. Where there might be some debate - Lord of the Rings, Magician, and others - I go by either the original publication, or what my gut tells me. (LotR is 3 books, Magician is 1 book.)

I don't imagine anybody actually cares but me. Do I feel I'm cheating?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #281
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:

Thank you!
It was common to publish a novel in multiple volumes in the 1800s. Most readers read novels via subscription libraries, so the operators got maximum profit and turnaround by lending 3 thinner volumes rather than 1 big volume - but it was still 1 novel.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #282
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I've done it both ways, depending on how much 'work' the reading was...
Old 08-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #283
RobertoOG
Enthusiast
RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertoOG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura h2o
Thank you guys, I think no one sees it as three books so I'm counting it as just one big book. Alhought it is my personal challenge I would feel like cheating if most of you counted it as one book.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #284
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I passed my original goal for this year today. WAY WAY faster than I would have guessed when I set it last year.

I already increased my goal for the year in April by setting my goal at the average pages for previous years but it doesn't look like I increased it enough and may still finish in September.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:28 AM   #285
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I already increased my goal for the year in April by setting my goal at the average pages for previous years but it doesn't look like I increased it enough and may still finish in September.
You may continue reading after you meet your goal for the year.
Closed Thread