Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
varad297
varad297 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wifi
how can i unsubscribe the kindle special offers and add custom screensavers for free

how can i unsubscribe the kindle special offers and add custom screensavers for free
varad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
You can't. At least not legally. I paid $40 to have the special offers/ads removed from my Kindle Touch. When you purchase a Kindle with ads/special offers, you pay a reduced price in return for allowing Amazon to put ads on it. There may be some techy people who have developed a way to remove the ads, I don't know. Even after that, if you want to run your own screensavers you have to do a hack to the Kindle.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by varad297 View Post
Amazon gave you a $40 rebate for having ads and special offers, and now you don't want to abide by your side of the deal? Be honest. Pay the $40 (or live with the ads).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
BlueSky77
BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3g, iPad 3, Nook Color w/cm7sd
Personally I don't find the ads to be a problem. When I'm using my Kindle Touch, 99% of the time I'm reading a book so I don't even see them. My advice is to either pay the $40.00 to remove them or just get used to them. They really aren't that bad.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Yeah, the ads aren't bad. If you've got a cover, it will cover the screen when you put the Kindle to sleep.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon gave you a $40 rebate for having ads and special offers, and now you don't want to abide by your side of the deal? Be honest. Pay the $40 (or live with the ads).
Actually, the Special Offers are no more. The last such offer was 30 Apr.

When I got my K3, the subsidy was only $25. Now Amazon wants $40 to turn the ads off. Talk about inflation! But since the ads aren't intrusive, I have no problem with them staying on my Kindles. It's not worth wasting $30 and $40 to turn them off.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
varad297
varad297 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wifi
i wanted to remove them for my adding my custom screensavers anyway thanks
varad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by varad297 View Post
i wanted to remove them for my adding my custom screensavers anyway thanks
There are ad removal hacks posted in the Dev Corner forum (and wikis), but most developers here discourage going that route because amazon has been nice to us developers (until recent firmware updates). You can look in the Dev Corner indexes, or use the MobileRead search functions.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Actually, the Special Offers are no more. The last such offer was 30 Apr.
That statement is totally incorrect. It does not matter whether they are called "special offers" or "AmazonLocal offers" or "BS no one wants offers," they still get pushed to the SO Kindles and the Kindle menu still reads "View Special Offers." You can argue semantics all you want to, but the fact remains that we are getting special offers pushed to our Kindles.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That statement is totally incorrect. It does not matter whether they are called "special offers" or "AmazonLocal offers" or "BS no one wants offers," they still get pushed to the SO Kindles and the Kindle menu still reads "View Special Offers." You can argue semantics all you want to, but the fact remains that we are getting special offers pushed to our Kindles.
Renaming "Special Offers" is rather like when Microsoft advertised heavily that there were "no more UAEs" (Unknown Application Errors) in the latest Windows 3.x, of which Windows had been infamously plagued with up until then. It was a big selling feature. It did not take long to discover that they had "eliminated" all the UAEs by RENAMING them as "Illegal Instruction Execution" errors. Nice marketing ploy!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
When the program started, it was called Special Offers and Sponsored Screensavers. Special Offers required ownership and registration of a Special Offer Kindle; and did so until the last offer on 30 Apr.

Sponsored Screensavers are open to anyone with an Amazon account; even people who don't own Kindles. The same thing with AmazonLocal offers.

Amazon needs to change the wording.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Renaming "Special Offers" is rather like when Microsoft advertised heavily that there were "no more UAEs" (Unknown Application Errors) in the latest Windows 3.x, of which Windows had been infamously plagued with up until then. It was a big selling feature. It did not take long to discover that they had "eliminated" all the UAEs by RENAMING them as "Illegal Instruction Execution" errors. Nice marketing ploy!
"General Protection Fault" was the wording IIRC.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
"General Protection Fault" was the wording IIRC.
Ahh... you brought back memories. UAE became GPF (and "Illegal Instruction Execution Error"). UAE was more fun because we used to say "Windows UAE'd on me again!" (pronounced "yoo-ee"). Because UAEs were typically caused by programs writing on memory that did not belong to them, renaming actually made sense, but marketing made it sound like they actually fixed something...

You could also get UAEs by executing data (which was renamed to "Illegal Instruction Execution" error). Back in those days, the MS C compiler was horrendously expensive and often generated bad code, so everybody but microsoft used borland turbo C. Many windows errors were no doubt caused my microsoft using their own compiler to build it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
everybody but microsoft used borland turbo C. Many windows errors were no doubt caused my microsoft using their own compiler to build it.
I learned with Power C because it only cost $19.95 including a textbook. I still have it.
Sorry for the drift....as you were.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I learned with Power C because it only cost $19.95 including a textbook. I still have it.
Sorry for the drift....as you were.
We used Borland Turbo C for real work, but we experimented with each new update to MS C to see if it improved any. We always went back to Turbo C. It was not until Visual C came around (after the success of Visual Basic), that MS finally got their C compiler reliable enough to use for real work. The "WordStar" key layout of Turbo C really aided my "coding trance" sessions, while Visual C required to much "mousing" and the required eye-hand coordination interfered with my coding trances (you had to drop out of the "dream state" to operate move a mouse pointer on the screen, while key presses were pure reflex (when using the WordStar edit key definitions). After windows became popular, I did switch to Visual C 6.0, but I mainly used it from the command-line (no distracting GUI that way), and I still do occasionally.

Okay now... where were we? Oh yeah, special offers. Note to OP: You CAN remove them, and there are Dev Corner threads (and YouTube videos) that show you how. But you need to go find them yourself, because we do not encourage that.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 09:02 PM.