Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #1
rdsk
rdsk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3GB)
converting azw file to pdf ->gibberish font

I am trying to convert a large azw to pdf but the font in the resulting pdf is gibberish. I think this is due to some issue with fonts used in the book. Is there a way for me to adjust calibre so that the conversion works correctly and the resulting font is legible?

I am also trying to convert the book to epub using heuristic processing but it has been running for well over an hour and I am worried that conversion will fail. There was a mobi file which was 25MB in the output file saved form calibre along with the gibberish pdf file.
rdsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsk View Post
I am also trying to convert the book to epub using heuristic processing but it has been running for well over an hour and I am worried that conversion will fail.
You can also use the KindleUnpack plugin to generate an .epub from an .azw file. It'll usually take less than a minute.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
agent619
agent619 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'd like to report the same issue with converting my epub files to PDF. The font of all my PDFs look...Greek? I've attached a photo: https://ibb.co/CVpjNDq

Not sure if it's an issue with fonts, but this occurs with all my epub files (not just recently added) and only for PDF (conversion to mobi or other formats are fine).
agent619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:10 AM   #4
rdsk
rdsk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3GB)
Kindle unpack worked

Many thanks. Kindle unpack worked and gave me the pdf. Pity the conversion of the decrypted azw file give gibberish and hopefully Calibre team can figure out a way to get conversion to work properly. Much appreciated also to Calibre and the plugin developers for your help.

Last edited by rdsk; 09-23-2022 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Solution found
rdsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heuristic processing, pdf conversion failure