Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
A full discharge is bad for a lithium battery. Every time you do that, you lose a chunk of capacity.
That is not correct. It will only be an issue if you leave it discharged for a long enough period of time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #17
MasterBomarc
MasterBomarc began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Wouldn't shock me if that is what happened with the old owner. If it wasn't getting used it may have just sat at 0% battery for months on end.

Still sitting at 1% after a few days. Definitely something wonky with the battery. I'll just use it as normal now I suppose till it dies, and give it a nice long charge back up to full and hopefully that straightens it out. I more care about the shown % being somewhat accurate over total battery life. And hopefully I'll be able to replace the battery in the future if it actually gets bad.

I'll update if anything else out of the ordinary happens, or if anyone has any other suggestions.
MasterBomarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #18
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is not correct. It will only be an issue if you leave it discharged for a long enough period of time.
That hurts a lot. But each full charge cycle also huts a smaller amount.

Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #19
MasterBomarc
MasterBomarc began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Most phones use a type of Lithium battery, and are nearly fully discharged daily and charged overnight. They still last 3+ years before battery life becomes a large problem. An ereader that will be charged every few weeks to few months at most will last a whole lot longer than that, even when doing full charge cycles. And IMO, total battery capacity is something I'm a lot less worried about with an ereader than a phone. Charging the device every 2 weeks rather than every 3 is not something that particularly bothers me.

Thank you for the advice Compurandom. But I'd rather take a smaller capacity battery that reads correctly over a larger capacity battery that I never know what the actual charge is!
MasterBomarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:25 AM   #20
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBomarc View Post
Thank you for the advice Compurandom. But I'd rather take a smaller capacity battery that reads correctly over a larger capacity battery that I never know what the actual charge is!
And I agree with that.

My point is that 1) a full discharge does hurt the battery (although maybe a small amount) and 2) multiple back to back full discharges to resync the chip are usually unnecessary and not harmless. Usually a single full charge cycle is sufficient.

Saying a full discharge is harmles is misinformation, I feel people should be aware of the consequences and make their own informed decision.

Last edited by compurandom; 01-31-2020 at 07:28 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
clara hd