Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #76
Rellwood
Library Breeder
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I noticed that when doing a bulk edit metadata custom columns for dates that are the same are not showing up. Ie. same date added for both books but the date added in bulk is blank. Have set to show only dates and not whole time. dd MMM yyyy
Old 09-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #77
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Was the comments missing in the book details panel solved? I set it to horizontal after vertical didn't show them. Still not showing them. Tried looking up the "floating" option in look and feel and couldn't find it. I do know that it is floating -when it was in vertical-not sure if that option was removed when I set it to horizontal. Either way, no comments in the panel.

Running 3.99.2.msi
That was a red-herring, theducks didn't scroll down - try setting Preferences->Look & Feel->How to display text in the 'Narrow' layout: to Columns

Quote:
Were we able to edit the comments in the book details page? Can't now.
If that was ever possible I suspect it was a bug.

Quote:
Not sure if the "System Default" instead of "Calibre Style" was always kind of "blocky" or "rough" looking. It looks like when you have Windows advanced settings set for adjusting for best performance.

Calibre Style looks like it's set for best appearance.
I can't see what that's got to do with this beta version - apart from the viewer, providing they're using the same configuration calibre 3.99.x looks just the same here as calibre 3.47.1.

BR
Advert
Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #78
Rellwood
Library Breeder
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BR

Ok, so I had the "comments" unchecked in the book details. Apparently you have to check the comments regardless. I got tired of having pretty much everything showing so I unchecked a lot of things. I don't know why this happened but now it's fixed.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #79
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The text in the book details panel looks weirdly spaced, compared to the old version. I've attached two screenshots, the first is the old Calibre, the second is the beta.
RU sure, for me its the reverse - was weird on the old and good on the beta, see Post #14

BR
Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #80
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

I can't see what that's got to do with this beta version - apart from the viewer, providing they're using the same configuration calibre 3.99.x looks just the same here as calibre 3.47.1.

BR
Doesn't look the same here either.
Advert
Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #81
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
I noticed that when doing a bulk edit metadata custom columns for dates that are the same are not showing up. Ie. same date added for both books but the date added in bulk is blank. Have set to show only dates and not whole time. dd MMM yyyy
Works for me (with same format) - did you check Apply alongside the date, did you click OK/Apply

screenshot available on request

BR
Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #82
Rellwood
Library Breeder

System Default vs. Calibre Style

Calibre Style is much smoother, System Default runs like it is set for better performance in Windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Style.png
Views:	47
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	173379   Click image for larger version

Name:	sustem Default BEM.png
Views:	41
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	173380   Click image for larger version

Name:	System Default (blocky).png
Views:	37
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	173381   Click image for larger version

Name:	System Default Look and Feel.png
Views:	37
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	173382  
Old 09-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #83
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Doesn't look the same here either.
You guys must have User interface style: set to system style, I have always used calibre style. I could never see much difference between the two.

But, on 3.99 system style is very blocky - looks like Windows 2.0 I suspect its another Qt idiotsincrazy.

I'm more more sensitive to where things are, than I am to differences in patterns, colours, icons etc - the fewer of them the better

FWIW my Windows->Display->Scale and layout setting is Recommended (125%) - i.e the default and I've not done any customisation in that regard apart from my background picture.

@Rellwood - if you want better performance get rid of that Aero crap - i.e. the diaphanous lingerie title bars etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-10-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #84
Rellwood
Library Breeder

@BR,

1. Found out that I had downloaded 3.99.2 for 32x instead of 64x - uninstalled, reinstalled 64x and now it looks fine.

2. what is "diaphanous lingerie title bars etc." and where do I get it?

BTW - My computer is running on 1TB SSD and 12 GB RAM with an Intel Core i7 (HP Envy) so I don't have a problem with performance, but I am always trying new stuff :-)

(forget question 2. Figured it out - thought you were suggesting a new downloadable desktop setting - LOL - I Like Aero)

I do have my Windows scale at a higher setting because I am really farsighted and need to be able to see the scree)

Last edited by Rellwood; 09-10-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #85
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
@BR,

1. Found out that I had downloaded 3.99.2 for 32x instead of 64x - uninstalled, reinstalled 64x and now it looks fine.
That's interesting, so you're reporting that 64bit beta system style is 'smooth' and 32 bit system style is 'blocky'.

I'm using the 32 bit beta - I like to keep the current 64 bit release available for comparisons - with same configuration.

Quote:
2. what is "diaphanous lingerie title bars etc." and where do I get it?

BTW - My computer is running on 1TB SSD and 12 GB RAM with an Intel Core i7 (HP Envy) so I don't have a problem with performance, but I am always trying new stuff :-)

(forget question 2. Figured it out - thought you were suggesting a new downloadable desktop setting - LOL - I Like Aero)

I do have my Windows scale at a higher setting because I am really farsighted and need to be able to see the scree)
Are you still using Win 7, IIRC you have to install 3rd party enhancers get Aero on 10.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #86
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You guys must have User interface style: set to system style, I have always used calibre style. I could never see much difference between the two.

But, on 3.99 system style is very blocky - looks like Windows 2.0 I suspect its another Qt idiotsincrazy.

I'm more more sensitive to where things are, than I am to differences in patterns, colours, icons etc - the fewer of them the better

FWIW my Windows->Display->Scale and layout setting is Recommended (125%) - i.e the default and I've not done any customisation in that regard apart from my background picture.

@Rellwood - if you want better performance get rid of that Aero crap - i.e. the diaphanous lingerie title bars etc.

BR
Yes, I've always used the System style. In the official release, it has less pronounced gray bars in the booklist view than the calibre style and I'd prefer that. In the beta, the gray bars look the same.

I'm as sensitive to patterns and colors as to the practical stuff. I'm also easily distracted, so many superficial things can bother me.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #87
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Yes, I've always used the System style. In the official release, it has less pronounced gray bars in the booklist view than the calibre style and I'd prefer that. In the beta, the gray bars look the same.

I'm as sensitive to patterns and colors as to the practical stuff. I'm also easily distracted, so many superficial things can bother me.
Are you using the 32bit or 64bit beta - if you're using Portable beta, it's 32bit.

Rellwood seems to be suggesting it's the ONLY the 32bit beta that's 'blocky' with the interface set to System style.

BR
Old 09-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #88
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Are you using the 32bit or 64bit beta - if you're using Portable beta, it's 32bit.

Rellwood seems to be suggesting it's the ONLY the 32bit beta that's 'blocky' with the interface set to System style.

BR
64-bit beta, now. The blockiness is gone, but the distracting too-grey bars remain.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #89
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
64-bit beta, now. The blockiness is gone, but the distracting too-grey bars remain.
I managed to get rid of the grey bars by using the wonderful Job Spy plugin (changed the alternating rows from grey to whitesmoke), so the GUI looks now pretty much like I'm used to.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #90
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Touch and a Galaxy S8 for my Comics duh
Thanks for sharing the beta version for us! I am already testing it. Is there a way to put a switch to enable dark mode?
Closed Thread