Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #3991
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Echo Dot Promo -- limited time

Amazon Music is offering an Echo Dot 3 for $0.99 to anyone who signs up for a least a one month subscription. The subscription will set you back either $7.99/mo for Prime members or $9.99 for non-Prime. Be sure to cancel Amazon Music before the month ends or you'll get charged for another month. See here and here for details.

Whether or not you listen to the music, $9 and $11 are fantastic prices for the Dot alone. For those without Prime, be sure to bundle this offer with additional items to reach the $25 minimum for free shipping. Otherwise, you'll get dinged $5.95 for shipping charges.

Amazon Music -- limit 1 offer

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-26-2019 at 12:58 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #3992
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I couldn't resist $9 for a Dot. I got a white one and also bought a holder (which cost more than the Dot!), and now the Dot's set up in the kitchen, where it looks quite nice. I figure that's the place I'll actually use it most, though when I asked it for news this morning as I was making coffee, it gave me weather. Then when I asked it for news from various specific sources, for several of them it gave me news from two days ago. So we're not off to an auspicious start. But it sure does look pretty.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2019, 02:19 AM   #3993
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Kitchen? Use the timers, the reminders, and the shopping list. For those alone, it's worth it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #3994
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Kitchen? Use the timers, the reminders, and the shopping list. For those alone, it's worth it.
And the measurement conversions!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #3995
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yes! Though I have, by now, converted all my existing recipes to weights in grams, new recipes are made easier with Alexa.

Charlie.
Advert
Old 10-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #3996
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Measurements for sure. I seem to be unable to retain information like how many tablespoons are in a cup. Timers, not so much--easier to just use the timer on the microwave or the stove.

I'll use it for background music, probably, when working in the kitchen, as it's simpler than setting up and using a Bluetooth speaker. And in the kitchen the Dot is away from the TVs, so it doesn't keep falsely thinking it's being called.

I'm still having a little trouble with the news in the morning--Alexa seems willing to give me a report from the Washington Post (of course), but gets confused when I ask for news from the New York Times; today it started talking about Malaysia, which isn't quite what I was going for.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #3997
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I'm kind of bummed that I didn't wait another few weeks for the Echo Flex, which looks like it would have been perfectly adequate for the kitchen (even with the crappy speaker), more compact, and more versatile with the add-ons. I must have missed this one when the other new Echo devices were introduced. Oh well.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #3998
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm kind of bummed that I didn't wait another few weeks for the Echo Flex, which looks like it would have been perfectly adequate for the kitchen (even with the crappy speaker), more compact, and more versatile with the add-ons. I must have missed this one when the other new Echo devices were introduced. Oh well.
You could always get both and return one after evaluating, but I think you're MUCH better off with the Dot's better speakers in the Kitchen. We tried older dots and always went back to our full size Echos in the kitchen for clarity and volume.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #3999
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer

I would agree, ApK. I moved the older, 1st gen Dot to a room where it didn't matter, and put the newer Dot into the kitchen, where it gets a LOT of use. Much better, overall.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:35 PM   #4000
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Dot 3 has a 1.6" speaker, Dot 2 has 1.1" and Flex has 0.6". The Dot 3 was a substantial improvement over the Dot 2.

BTW, Dot 3s will be selling for $22 this Black Friday. A couple of bucks cheaper than last year.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #4001
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I'm not unhappy enough to return the Dot 3 and the holder; that combo still came out a few bucks cheaper than the Flex.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #4002
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
BTW, Dot 3s will be selling for $22 this Black Friday. A couple of bucks cheaper than last year.
OK, I give. Where are you finding this information? I need to decide what's likely to be on sale for how much before I make some purchase decisions!
Old 11-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #4003
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
OK, I give. Where are you finding this information? I need to decide what's likely to be on sale for how much before I make some purchase decisions!
From Black Friday ads that have been released so far. It's still early, so only a few ads have dropped. Check out the Black Friday thread. I post the ads as soon as they appear.

Later on, I'll post a rundown of the BF deals for Echo devices in this thread.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:52 AM   #4004
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
From Black Friday ads that have been released so far. It's still early, so only a few ads have dropped. Check out the Black Friday thread. I post the ads as soon as they appear.

Thanks, I didn't realize that the thread was already up. Denial, I guess. What I'm really looking for is any kind of deal on the new Oasis. A slim hope, I know.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #4005
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:

Will you please post a link to the Black Friday thread? I looked for it but can’t see it. I’m probably staring right at it but not seeing it! Or if it is an old thread from years past I may have set it to be ignored.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote