Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #76
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
QUOTE]Remember going into a book store and finding CHAIRS to sit on, while sampling a book?
We never had B&N in my area, way back we had Walden Books, a smallish store inside the mall, with no comfort like chairs. We did have Border's at the, at the time, newish strip mall.

The strange thing was...nobody was in line buying anything. The store was also dirty and not being kept up. What we did look at was expensive. The prices they had for toys and games were ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I remember our mall had a Waldenbooks and a Coles. Neither offered seating.
Borders was my favorite (and probably the last New book store I have been inside. Prices were not discounted (and I never looked at the sideline stuff, so no idea there. Remember, many books had prices printed on the cover (flap), so the profit was derived from what the store paid for the stock.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #77
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Jeeze, I miss California
I don't miss the hectic Bay Area. My folks used to come up here with us kids, 50 years ago. Even here, the 3 lane hustle has encroached
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #78
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I remember our mall had a Waldenbooks and a Coles. Neither offered seating.
Borders was my favorite (and probably the last New book store I have been inside. Prices were not discounted (and I never looked at the sideline stuff, so no idea there. Remember, many books had prices printed on the cover (flap), so the profit was derived from what the store paid for the stock.
The quote in your post isn't mine.

I think Walden's had a frequent shopper card they punched when you bought something. I don't remember what the perk was, it was probably a discount on a future purchase once you spent so much. I loved looking through their clearance books.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 11-19-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't miss the hectic Bay Area. My folks used to come up here with us kids, 50 years ago. Even here, the 3 lane hustle has encroached
I lived mostly in Southern California. For a while, I lived in Gilroy, in Steinbeck country. I do remember driving in San Francisco was intimidating in a way that I never felt in Long Beach or Los Angeles.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #80
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
As far as Amazon vs Nook, can't the Nook books be read on "most anything" also. Sure Kindles are more popular, but Nook has its own eink devices, Nook has an app for IOS, I assume there is one for Android and the PC.
They killed the Mac app and haven't updated the PC app in ages.
MS had to take over app maintenance during the Win8 days before B&N returned what remained of their investment and cancel the contract.

So Nook runs on phones and maybe PCs. And they killed (official?) PC downloads.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321373

Kindle still allows downloads which means even (most?) DRM'ed content can be transcoded to Epub devices and apps. Even Nooks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #81
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
So Nook runs on phones and maybe PCs. And they killed (official?) PC downloads.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321373
But that's just not true. The Windows 10 Nook app does download books, just like K4PC.

Now, there used to be an easily findable key in the old Nook programs that I guess is more hidden in the Nook app. So stripping DRM from downloaded books might be a challenge. But it's not true that there's no official PC downloads from Nook.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-21-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #82
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But that's just not true. The Windows 10 Nook app does download books, just like K4PC.
Nook has a native Windows 10 app?
Not the old Win8 app?
That's an improvement.

Edit: Aww, it's the same old Win8 app.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/no...equirementstab

Drat.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #83
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Nook has a native Windows 10 app?
Not the old Win8 app?
That's an improvement.

Edit: Aww, it's the same old Win8 app.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/no...equirementstab

Drat.
Either way, it does download epubs. So you can download Nook books.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #84
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
IS there a download outside of the MS Store?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #85
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
IS there a download outside of the MS Store?
I couldn't say. Like Amazon, I use the B&N program that runs on my PC and lets me download. I haven't continued to see what other options are available for either company.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #86
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
No downloading on my MAC machines, or my older windows machines.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote