Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
iPad is "The Future Of Reading"

Must be a slow news day, because the LA Times has a giant front-page article about the iPad. It's mostly about the advantages of embedding video in text, but it's a pretty wide-ranging article about how digital gadgets are changing the publishing industry.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2712081.story
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't want video in my text any more than I want text in my video.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Tpebop
Tpebop began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I don't want video in my text any more than I want text in my video.
I take it you've never watched a film that had subtitles in it then?
Tpebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpebop View Post
I agree with Worldwalker. Unless it is in a language I can't speak I don't want subtitles in my movies..
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpebop View Post
Not when I can help it. And while doing so might be an unavoidable necessity at times, I certainly don't like it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Mostly I agree with Worldwalker. In this case, only somewhat.

If other media interferes with my leisure reading, I agree. But sometimes other media is needed or desired.

I've read, and re-read, W. E. B. Griffin's WWII books. But sometimes you'll hit something that you don't know.

Everybody that knows what a Brewster Buffalo is, raise your hand.

Not too many I see.

Brewster Buffalo
Spoiler:

Need more info on the Corregidor tunnels"
Spoiler:

Narwhal, anyone?
Spoiler:

Narwhals - Wiki

Those examples would be ok in some ebooks and especially in a "text" ebook.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know what a Narwhal is. I watch Futurama.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Must be a slow news day to be reporting on Vooks and the iPad again.

There's definitely potential waiting to be tapped, but so far I haven't seen anyone get good vanilla text outside of PDF files. If text is too tough, I'm not going to hold my breath for good multimedia reading experiences, except with perhaps some educational stuff or children's books.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
JaneD
Addict

It's funny, if they had changed the title to "The Future of Teaching" or "The Future of Learning" we probably wouldn't have any argument - it IS great for multimedia information gathering. But because they had to liken it to "Reading", it's going to grate on those of us who really use reading-specific ereaders, which are so much easier on the eyes.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
But because they had to liken it to "Reading", it's going to grate on those of us who really use reading-specific ereaders, which are so much easier on the eyes.
EPDs are not much or any easier on the eyes than a backlit LCD.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Video in books: I'd be interested in it for nonfiction books. I like to read about history, astronomy, art and architecture, for instance, and video could make such books more useful to me. For instance, if I'm reading about Chicago skyscrapers and they talk about how well a building is integrated into its surroundings, a video feature showing a skyscraper's neighboring buildings would be helpful. That's one simple example.

I can imagine video being used effectively in many ways. The idea is to use tech to improve content, not to throw it in just because you can. Integrating it well is key. Of course, there are plenty of books that don't need video, but there's no need to dismiss advances just because they don't apply for all uses.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Seems to me that the article is about how digital is the future of publishing.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Things can improve even if it takes a while.

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Seems to me that the article is about how digital is the future of publishing.
Yes. It will be really interesting to see how books evolve. What we consider a "book" is starting to shift.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Things can improve even if it takes a while.

Spoiler:
The text in that image is better than can be found in any ebook reader device.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 07-18-2010 at 01:24 PM.