Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Kindle 1st Gen & SD cards

This may already be covered but I haven't found it.

What is the largest capacity SD Card that will work with the Kindle 1st Gen?

Thanks,
Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
I believe Amazon supports a 2Gb card. I have a 4Gb in mine without issue.
One thing.... I tried a few other brands before I found SanDisk.
Using the SanDisk Ultra.... not sure if the Ultra matters.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobies View Post
I believe Amazon supports a 2Gb card. I have a 4Gb in mine without issue.
One thing.... I tried a few other brands before I found SanDisk.
Using the SanDisk Ultra.... not sure if the Ultra matters.
Thank you.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've seen reports of folk using 8 gig or higher. SanDisk seems to be the most trouble free brand.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
What is the largest capacity SD Card that will work with the Kindle 1st Gen?
Unless Amazon comes up with a better way to organize books, you won't like having a whole lot of books on your Kindle 1. I've got a 2gb sd with 1.8gb free and I've still got 10 pages of books to page thru. Using Calibre to keep your library works better IMHO.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Unless Amazon comes up with a better way to organize books, you won't like having a whole lot of books on your Kindle 1. I've got a 2gb sd with 1.8gb free and I've still got 10 pages of books to page thru. Using Calibre to keep your library works better IMHO.
You are right. My wife has a Kindle 1st Gen and I'm well aware of the problem.
However, I wish to load audio books which can be quite large. I installed a 16 GB SD into her reader and it works but I really don't know how much of the card it can use.

Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Go to the "Settings" menu at the home screen, and it will tell you how much memory is available on the sd card. I assume that's how much it can use.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Go to the "Settings" menu at the home screen, and it will tell you how much memory is available on the sd card. I assume that's how much it can use.
That answers my question.
It also shows how little I know about the Kindle. My wife was reluctant to let me experiment with her's.

I inserted an 8GB SD Card and the Kindle reports 4GB. I agree that is the max that it can address.

Charlie
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've seen reports of folk using 8 gig or higher. SanDisk seems to be the most trouble free brand.
SanDisk is the best and have a great warranty
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
That answers my question.
It also shows how little I know about the Kindle. My wife was reluctant to let me experiment with her's.

I inserted an 8GB SD Card and the Kindle reports 4GB. I agree that is the max that it can address.

Charlie
An addendum to my previous post.

I checked my wife's Kindle which has a 16 GB SD Card. Her Kindle reports 16GB. So everything stills hangs.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i have a sandisk with warranty
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
An addendum to my previous post.

I checked my wife's Kindle which has a 16 GB SD Card. Her Kindle reports 16GB. So everything stills hangs.
One thing to remember, Charlie, is that the Kindle 1 actually kinda predated SDHC support (>4gb), it was made primarily for SD support (<4gb) only. It was robust in that the firmware would support some SDHC cards, but not all, and that's why you see people here mentioning the Sandisk (very expensive) SDHC cards, while some of the cheaper SDHC cards may not work well. The same applied to the older digital cameras at that time, many had problems with certain SDHC cards.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I thought SDHC was around for a while, maybe it was right around the transitioning time of the entrance of the K1
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote