Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
bitsandpieces
bitsandpieces began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, paperwhite
A Inexpensive real Leather Kindle 3 Cover

I too got a custom cover made here in India. kindle original cover seemed way too expensive to me, plus it didnt fold back easily, so was a pain to use too.

Tried out getting a kindle cover from dealextreme, in hope that it might be better. but still that wasn't kinda satisfactory as the inside material was kinda velvetly which i didnt seem to like much, plus it was rexin and not real leather on the outside. Kinda has a cheapo feel to it.

So went around Kolkata, sourced a bit of leather, and handed over to a local guy my original kindle cover + the leather.

The first attempt he made something that didnt work out, but second one was prety good job. here are the pics

(The pebble grain finish cover is the original amazon leather cover, the other one is the one locally made. Just had both in frame for comparisions.)

I couldn't source the pebble grain leather used for kindle cover, so got the local plain black ones and added a thin sponge layer between the leather and the board.

used four corner straps to hold it in place. They were made a bit thicker, which causes it to cover the unlock switch and the navipad key, but well, I felt that was better than using a thin strap and risking the kindle falling out.

the original kindle cover wouldn't fold back easily, so opted to have no board on the side, to allow easily folding back of front cover.

And the bottom line, all this cost me about 12-14 dollars to make using real leather
bitsandpieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I like the looks of your exterior cover better than the pebble of the Amazon case (I've got the lighted one from Amazon). I think it came out really well.

Unfortunately, the plane fare to India would make the item just a bit more pricey.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I love your custom-made leather cover. It looks like it would feel so nice in your hands! Thanks for sharing all the photos.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
bitsandpieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I like the looks of your exterior cover better than the pebble of the Amazon case (I've got the lighted one from Amazon). I think it came out really well.

Unfortunately, the plane fare to India would make the item just a bit more pricey.

thanks ! Yepp, that would be pretty expensive. But for me or people like me who use Kindle in India, it is a pretty good option coz the amazon leather cover costs about $35 + another $10 shipping to india plus customs
Old 03-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
bitsandpieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I love your custom-made leather cover. It looks like it would feel so nice in your hands! Thanks for sharing all the photos.
pleasure is mine. I got this made after seeing memebers here getting a custom cover made
Advert
Old 03-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
bitsandpieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Hmm, looks good to me...
Thanks !
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
lovely! very elegant. My cover won't fold-over comfortably either, and I have come to enjoy reading my kindle 3 without a cover. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to most likely get a skin for it.
I take my Kindle with me everywhere so what I really would like is a cover with a pocket so I can carry the power charger with it.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
I take my Kindle with me everywhere so what I really would like is a cover with a pocket so I can carry the power charger with it.
Do you find that is really necessary to took the charger with you? I rarely use it so it just stays plugged in at home.

The cover looks lovely. I am thinking there could be a similar opportunity in Bali where people do very clever things with gorgeous leather. And very inexpensive. Last year we had leather folios made which we use for putting an A4 pad, the mobile, the kindle, glasses, and passport and tickets. it zips all the way round so we can open it from the wide end or the narrow end. In red orange, black and brown leather. We put all the gear in our folio, into the back pack and take it out when we get into the plane. All for about $15 each.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
bitsandpieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
lovely! very elegant. My cover won't fold-over comfortably either, and I have come to enjoy reading my kindle 3 without a cover. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to most likely get a skin for it.
I prefer a cover anyday coz it makes me feel its a book kinda stuff. Though without the cover, the kindle is darn slim and lightweight

how often do you need to charge the kindle ? I charge mine about every two - three weeks, which lets me keep my charge home only
Old 03-15-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
mognit
mognit began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle3 leather cover

Could you share the contact details of the person in Kolkata who made this nice cover for you. I would also like to have one for my device.
mognit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
bitsandpieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by mognit View Post
Could you share the contact details of the person in Kolkata who made this nice cover for you. I would also like to have one for my device.
the guy who sourced the leather for me, did the main work too. I dont have his phone number.

If you go to any leather market (I went to the market just near linton road) there are lot of sellers, and if you buy from them, ask them that you want to make a leather cover, they will show you shops which do it. Just take a sample cover, he should be able to make it exactly as you can.

If you can manage to get around that place during weekends morning, then can take you to the exact shop that made it.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #12
bitsandpieces

Another cover, one for my sis, another for a fellow forum member This time instead of having a black, used a softer beige colour leather.

Which is good in some ways, but well, it gets dirty

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Dude, you did it........ AWESOME.....

I want an apple green cover...lol.. Can you get it made?... j/k

I am not sure why other people are not karma'ing you up, but I just did. enjoy...
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
bitsandpieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser06 View Post
Dude, you did it........ AWESOME.....

I want an apple green cover...lol.. Can you get it made?... j/k

I am not sure why other people are not karma'ing you up, but I just did. enjoy...
Heck the effort wasnt much of mine. On this forum there are a whole lot of very creative guys who has awesome diy covers. Me just good at getting something that works for me

btw, do we know each other from some other forum ?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
You could post these on kindle boards.com and I reckon you get get a business going here.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote